Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 05:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Character matters...
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 22:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sometimes a balmy year-round climate or higher paying jobs aren't all that matter, sometimes its the overall character of the people of a place.

I've been doing some commission work for a widow who's husband was a big large-scale model plane builder. Most of what she has are WWII fighters at around1:16 scale so they measure about 2x2 feet. If the landing gear can fold up, might be able to sell and ship on ebay (had 1 great sale) but if not the shipping generally kills a deal. Anyway, had a couple of the planes on our local craigslist, one for about 2 months. Finally got a hit on it from a lady just over the MN line, her husband thought it was cool looking. With a big winter storm coming in, we decide via e-mail to do the deal tonight. I suggested a c-store meeting at the nearest little town in MN on I-90. She didn't know me except from a few e-mails and I don't know her, although I'm not generally fearful of meeting unknown people for the things I sell. I have a CCP but rarely carry, especially crossing a state line.

So, we meet at 7 tonight at the c-store which I assumed would be open. Not. The outside lights were on but no one around, anywhere. She had a dog in her car but it couldn't have stopped me from harming her. Maybe she had a can of mace in her coat pocket or 911 on speed-dial or was packing heat herself (very doubtful!) but I think she basically trusted me, as I did her. We had a pleasant exchange and both of us were on our ways. My metro area has gotten a bit more violent as its gotten bigger (or so it seems) but still lots and lots of good people around where trust is a big deal. I'm not saying big metros don't have a lot of good people as well but the perception that the odds of meeting a greater percentage of bad characters is out there. Maybe its not true but I'll take my region any day...

Genesis 1:26

Post subject: Re: Character matters...
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 23:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NPCFED I used to build and fly remote control planes when I was younger. Great past time but the cost just got to great to carry on. My last war bird was the corsair. Beautiful and fast plane.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2017, 12:17 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

PC, I agree that the more sparse the population the better folk get along. I know I don't do well in heavily infested spots. :roll:

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2017, 14:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on kijiji, as has my Dad, and we've never had a bit of trouble with anyone, but we live near a low population town, but buy a lot of stuff from outside of the town in little villages and communities.

TT- I definitely don't do too great in overly populated places, could be why my girlfriend doesn't take me out to the mall or anything anymore :lol:

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2017, 15:03 

LHB, when I go to Edmonton to meet someone on a buy/sell for certain items, I have them meet me at the trap supply store. :D I figure if they can come in and enjoy it they is good.