Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 09:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beaver trapping
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 19:26 
Trapper
Trapper

Well I went out today and tried to set a spot I haven't trapped in 3 years. It's actually the spot where I caught my first beaver. It's about a mile plus walk from the truck, through the woods. Not horrible but enough to keep most guys from trapping it. Anyway I decided to take the new pup with me, along with my new traps from trapping clause! (Thanks again can't wait to catch something in those bad boys!!!!) so we hiked down to the spot and found nothing for any fresh sign. There was a dam, but no feed beds, lodges, or any fresh cuttings from this fall. So we hiked upstream about a 1/2 mile and found some decent sign. It was cool as we tried to find the breather hole in a small lodge the dog and I climbed on the lodge I could hear 2 distinct splashes and then air bubbles coming to the surface, and I was able to find the breather hole. Unfortunately i went all around the lodge and feed bed and couldn't locate and distinct runs. There was 10-12" of ice every where and no hollow thud sound when tapping around with the spud. So I did my best to get 2 traps in, wasn't expecting that much ice and had some issues so I was only able to get 2 sets in. I'll be going back with the chain saw to cut holes and get my other sets in. I definitely made a rookie mistake while chopping a hole too close to the feed bed, dropped down a 330 on the suspended Wolf set, and the trap immediately sprung because of a branch. So I had to move a few feet away and chop a hole new hole. The good news is next time I will park in a different spot and walk the frozen creek down about 3/4 mile to my traps and it will be a lot easier walking.

Post subject: Re: Beaver trapping
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 16:46 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Good luck, I've always liked under-ice beaver trapping. Good looking pup there too.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 19:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

DKhunter i can see the vent hole on the house in your pic. Your beaver might have runs coming out under the muskeg. Each house will be different, some easy and some just plain hard. Glad you got your two toys to play with. Those are high quality traps which cannot be bought in the US. Next time you post step back from the house and get a shot of the over all lay out. I to have had 330s fire off when hanging close to feed bed :( . Chain saw is asset when setting out around feed bed because of ice thickness compared to set close by house. And when your done your sets cover the holes with some boughs and cover with snow. Next trip out your traps are not froze in and very little if any chopping ice.
Cute lab by the way, had 4 over 30 years then switched to golden retriever.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2017, 23:25 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for all the advice wolf, and those traps are great!!! I'll throw some pictures up when I get a chance. Also I'm looking into a pair of snow shoes, so if anyone has any advice on brands or models i would love to hear it. I have no experience with snow shoes but walking a mile plus one way to check traps in the deep snow is getting harder and harder. Thanks guys

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2017, 20:31 
Trapper
Trapper

I got a quick window to go out and check my traps today, unfortunately didn't have time to set my other 2 330s though. Anyways I was rewarded with an empty, but snapped trap and also another beaver! Those new 330s are just awesome wolf!!! I think the empty snapped trap was set off by a beaver swimming with a stick since that's what was in the trap. I also had a trapline first for myself, I caught my hand in a 330 as I was resetting it. One of the safety's had slipped off, but thank god the other one held because even with only one spring that $&@!?*# hurt!!!! My fault completely I was getting sloppy as darkness was falling but I learned my lesson. Image

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2017, 21:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Your on a roll, good going.
If you plan on open spaces for most your trapping with snow shoes the Objibwa is by far the best. They have the pointed nose and curled up.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 18:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Good news this morning, the boss called and said it was too icy for us to work today. So it was a perfect chance for me to go out and set my other traps and move the other 2 I had out. Finally took the chainsaw with me to cut holes in the ice, I will never trap more then 5-6" of ice without it. Anyway here are a few pictures. In one you can see I've circled the 2 lodges I'm trapping, they are about 100 yards apart with a dam between them. One lodge has a clear breather hole (pictured) the other does not. However the beaver I caught at this spot was right next to the lodge with no breather hole? So right now I have 2 traps by each lodge. Walking roughly 2 miles round trip to check these is rough, so I'm letting them sit for 4-5 days before I go back.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 19:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You are a go getter for sure . Good luck

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 23:52 
Trapper
Trapper

Pulled my traps this weekend, and it was perfect timing since all this warm weather and rain are melting ice fast. Picked up my first beaver double this year, and one of them being my biggest of the season. Saw a lot of sign so I know there are a few more around, but they will have to wait until we get some cold weather or open water.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 08:16 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

That is a nice size beaver, did you happen to weigh it?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 20:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Your doing good DKhunter :D

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 21:43 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks guys, couldn't have done it without all the help on this site, and everything wolf's done for me. And I did put it on an old scale my grandpa had in the attic, no idea how accurate it is or when it was last calibrated but it weighed in at 53 pounds. My guess when I pulled it out of the ice and packed it out was at least 50. Also, my snare supports came in, so tonight I put out 4 beaver carcasses and set 4 cable restraints around them. Those supports are so nice, in the time it used to take me to set snare, i got 4 set and feel a lot more confident about them. I also got a dozen beaver snares and a couple bottles of trappers tanning formula, so my tanning adventure can begin!!!

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2017, 21:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have an interest in you. You have done exceptionally well considering your start. And you have excelled very quickly to catching beaver under ice. My hats off to you as many cannot grasp the work or situation when setting. You made me proud of your accomplishments:D

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 04:58 

Great job on the beaver!

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 13:11 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks guys, I had a ton of fun doing it. Unfortunately I got called back to work now so I pulled all my traps, except for the K-9 sets at my grandparents farm. Still haven't had any luck, earlier this week 2 of my snares were knocked down and pulled to the deer stop. My best guess is I had them set too low to the ground after the fresh snow we had? The bottom of the loop was about 8" off the ground. But I have 5 beaver carcasses out and also about 2 dozen perch/bluegill remains after a decent day on the ice last weekend but I'm getting almost no action at my bait site, not even fresh tracks in the field. I do have another beaver question for my online mentors/experts, is it ok if my new beaver snares are shiney new metal, should I dye or paint them? Also what are these little hook things that were included with the snares? Sorry I'm completely new to beaver snaring and all snaring really. Here in WI we can only use cable restraints on land and I buy all mine pre-made since I have no clue how to make them. Thanks again for the wisdom and advice.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017, 10:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Outstanding dkhunter!!! There's a lot of guys who wouldn't walk 300 yards to trap a flat-tail let alone doing a couple miles and then humping it back!! I think this old tubby would be a bit tired by the end. In my younger days, I rolled a beav about your size with a high power while deer hunting and my buddy and I carried it tied to a stick Indian style out over about a mile of rougher ground. I was glad when we got to the road!!

We don't have much for lodge building beavs around here but just about all of our small creeks will have bank den flat-tails. Funny to see their dams made mostly out of corn stalks and mud! I hope you catch some more of those things!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017, 23:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Shiny snares have no problem catching beaver under the ice. What size cable are you using?

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 22:27 
Trapper
Trapper

Haha thanks PC, lots of hard work for sure but it is a great feeling trapping these beaver that no one else is willing to. I'm trapping public land and a lot of guys road trap it, but no one goes more then a few hundred yards off the road. And wolf they are 1/16" cable, and I've attached a link to the snares that I bought. Thanks guys

http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/ausable2ft11 ... nares.aspx