Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 03:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 22:06 
Trapper
Trapper

Things have been slow on the forum lately, so I thought I'd share my trapping season. My 13 yo daughter has been enjoying the season making almost every trap check with me. We are trapping a farm nearby and ride a four-wheeler over 4 miles of trails. She has helped with trap site selection and set construction, she is learning a great deal and I think she will soon be far better than me. Of course the farm surrounds a bog turtle population so the whole conservation aspect is firmly instilled in her. This week we caught all three of Pennsylvania's canine species. We connected Tuesday on a yote, Thursday on a red fox, and today we caught a gray fox. All three were in dirt hole sets in locations she chose. :--D very proud dad.

A second bog turtle population I discovered two years ago is on an amish farm in the next county. I've taught the two oldest boy's how to trap and they have been running a short line with a half-dozen traps I've lent them.

Red Fox 8
Grey Fox 1
Coyote 1
Opossum 5/2
House cat 2/2

Last edited by ecosense on 08 Jan 2017, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Canine trifecta
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 00:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Congrats!! Sounds like a blast but what about some pictures!!!! :--D

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 06:49 

Congrats on the red and grey fox as well as the coyote!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 13:51 
Trapper
Trapper

A 4-wheeler full of Coon and a possum from earlier in the season.
Red fox from last weekend
A mud ball coon from 20" away from the red
Coyote from Tuesday, big (Hey, I am talking about a female canine here) over 45#'s 30' from a dead cow
Too cold to skin in my unheated trapping shed, so I have fox waiting to thaw

Red Fox 8
Grey Fox 1
Coyote 1
Opossum 5/2
House cat 2/2

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 19:33 
Trapper
Trapper

Congrats to you that is a great week!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 20:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice action and thanks for the pixs!! Now we need some of the people involved :)

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 07:46 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Enjoyed your post and pictures ecosense. Other than teaching our daughter some finer points of trapping, what projects have you been involved in?

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 12:44 

That's great your 13 yo traps with you! Thanks for sharing :D

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 19:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good for you, getting the young ones involved is priority. How come your ground is green?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2017, 11:01 
Trapper
Trapper

Swamp, I've been working with a pipeline company locating critical habitat that they should avoid during construction of a 186 mile long new pipeline. My team has found one new population of turtles and we've been conducting telemetry studies to determine where/how to build the pipeline through this particular spot. Looks like they will be more than 500'away from the closest turtle so no direct impact is anticipated. This is how I met the Amish kids, it is their farm that has the turtles. Once construction begins I'm looking at 12hr days 6 days a week monitoring the construction through turtle habitat and timber rattlesnake habitat. I guess I'm busy for at least the next two years. I'll be heading out in the next few weeks doing tiger salamander surveys in Maryland so trapping has come to an end. I totaled 14 red fox, 14 raccoon, 3 grinners, 1 coyote, and one gray fox all on two farms. Raccoon numbers are down from previous years so I think I'm having an impact on their numbers, hopefully I see some improved hatching success. If not I'll have to start targeting skunks as well.
Eco

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2017, 11:09 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

ecosense wrote:
Swamp, I've been working with a pipeline company locating critical habitat that they should avoid during construction of a 186 mile long new pipeline. My team has found one new population of turtles and we've been conducting telemetry studies to determine where/how to build the pipeline through this particular spot. Looks like they will be more than 500'away from the closest turtle so no direct impact is anticipated. This is how I met the Amish kids, it is their farm that has the turtles. Once construction begins I'm looking at 12hr days 6 days a week monitoring the construction through turtle habitat and timber rattlesnake habitat. I guess I'm busy for at least the next two years. I'll be heading out in the next few weeks doing tiger salamander surveys in Maryland so trapping has come to an end. I totaled 14 red fox, 14 raccoon, 3 grinners, 1 coyote, and one gray fox all on two farms. Raccoon numbers are down from previous years so I think I'm having an impact on their numbers, hopefully I see some improved hatching success. If not I'll have to start targeting skunks as well.
Eco

Take your camera to work with you and get some good pictures to share with us. Sounds like you had enough catches to keep you busy.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 16:34 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Great catch's sense. After looking at all the pics on the board I gotta say I think the grey fox is the prettiest critter.