Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 01:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 16:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Its been a very mellow trapping season this year. I never really set a trap in November. The coon over at one of my friend Ry's farmsteads beat up one of their corn fields this past summer so we tried a little pay back in Dec. I advised Ry on some placement and provided the equipment and he did the checking. We set 7 dps and 3 of my coon cubbies and got 1 coon the first night but then it rained pretty steady and then froze up so only got another one out of an old school house before he pulled most of the sets. But he did keep a couple of the boxes going and they scored this weekend with our little thaw we've had. The same time we initally set up at their farmstead, I had put in some of t-rick's bottom edge water sets with 110s in Ry's creek that flows along his pasture at his place on the edge of town. No minker but did pull 3 mrats over a week's time in this very low population stream.

This past week, I slipped more into the "low-intensity" action knowing that there might be 3-4 days of above freezing temps and holed-up critters might run so I had put out 4 of my cubbies in spots that can be checked on the way or from my work place. The bodygrippers are laying around on my bro's shelves out in his metal "barn" so might as put them to work and check them by only going a few miles out of my every other day. Pick off some fur now and then when there is a "warm spell" that happens. I seldom ever have problems with rubs or coons getting "springy" in January around here because I don't think they move around lot compared to other places.

So, this morning I had to get in my 2-day check so checked my handful of boxes going up by work. I ended up scoring on a nice fatty under the corner of a creek bridge. First critter out of this location. I still get big grin like a little kid when I see one of my boxes all askew. Sometimes they never hardly move them, sometimes there a ways from where they were set. I'm not real excited about the color on this one but maybe one less pheasant egg stealer around there (saw 6 roody birds this morning, too bad our season---last day today---started at 1000).

I put 3 boxes out at my bro's country place that he can check for me during the week. I put them out on Weds. at last light. He called today and told me that 2 were filled with possums. What's a se SD winter without a few grinners. Their cleaned up skulls are worth more than their fur. More pheasant nest egg stealers eliminated!

I can't do this from my desk...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 22:34 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Y'all sure have large coons compared to my area.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 11:08 

Nice looking coon PC.

Now that the prices have been really depressed for a couple of years now people have really scaled back their traplines. I have scaled back, not due to the prices, but for the number of hours I've been putting in at work (around 50 hours a week). I did try for fisher which our 12 day season just ended a couple of days ago with no success wit the exception of a 19 pound raccoon and I have a small bottom edge mink line going on now until the season ends next weekend. A friend of mine wants to trap beaver. He's never caught one before and I promised him we would go out and get a couple. Our season just started a week ago and lasts until March 31st.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 11:53 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Cool pics PC. I gotta agree that seeing sign of a disturbed trap don't get old at all. :D

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 19:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

t-rick: I hope you and your bud get some of those flat-tails! Some 50-60 lbs. would be a fun thing for him to haul out of the woods as his first beav.

Swamp Rat- I thought old masked bandit had some heft when I pulled it out of the rocks under the bridge, just not as much as the kids bathroom scale told me, about 24 1/2 pounds. That is one of the heavier ones I gotten in a while. I'm still waiting to break 30 pounds. I know there out there around here.

trappintime: But I bet you're happier to see one of your snares gone and find an Alberta heavy pale wrapped up tight close by :)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2017, 00:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

My friend Ry has been doing some corn-loss payback on the masked bandits since Christmas on their couple of farm areas, out trapping me with 4 coon and one live puddy in a cage vs. my 3 winter possums (where do these things come from in the dead of winter in se SD!!??) and 1 obligatory at-least-one-a-cubbie-season "other" out at my brother's. Ry got this coon in one of my large cages inside an old long-ago school house. Hard to believe this thing thought it was warm enough to run the other night. Now its frozen to the bottom of the cage so will wait until Sunday when its warm enough to remove it from the cage without ripping off froze on hair. Nice looking coon, just wish it was a lot bigger. I'm sure a few people were wondering what I was doing in the work parking lot putting that cage in the Buick's back seat...

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2017, 14:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

pretty coon.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2017, 21:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nothing recently but some possum butts in my few boxes I'm running. Sigh. At least a few more skulls to sell. Still the possibility makes my drive to work a little more interesting...

wolf & tt, don't you wish you had grinners up north :P

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 22:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Some fur is coming out of my bro's country acreage, 4 grinners and a 3xl coon so far in January. Perfect 160 neck catch on the masked bandit...

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 23:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
Nothing recently but some possum butts in my few boxes I'm running. Sigh. At least a few more skulls to sell. Still the possibility makes my drive to work a little more interesting...

wolf & tt, don't you wish you had grinners up north :P

Yes I do, never had possum stew like granny clampet made but will never get the chance. All you in the south are so lucky :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 23:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah, we're lucky!! :--o

I've never tried one but it looks like good meat (a very light red, sort of like cottontail rabbit) if I could just get past the mental block of them being carrion and garbage eaters. I guess I'm too well fed. For now...

There is a "possum line" somewhere across South Dakota and Minnesota. I don't think either North Dakota or northern Minnesota have them. I'm certainly south of that line but my numbers are nothing like even more milder climates.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 07:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

This past weekend, it was the start of about a 10-day "break the back of winter" thaw and I decided to pull my sets at my brother's because with the warm temps, I didn't want to go all the way out there for an occasional single critter. I did manage to get a 80% fill from my 5 sets over the weekend, with 2 coon and 2 grinners, although the pictured coon I think will be the only thing that will go to auction (other coon was a dink, one of the grinners was a blackie and the other appeared to have lost most of its guard hairs--both of these will be "skulled" out though). I'm glad to report that the gift of some Duke 160s from a leading member of this forum a number of years ago to me are still working great taking SD fur!!

A couple of weeks before this last weekend, I took a very nice dark 20 lb. coon out at the bro's place (in the same set as the possum pix above) but I can't figure out how to turn the cell phone pix into a jpeg so here it hanging this morning before I go flesh it out. I ended up taking 7 grinners and 5 coon off of my brother's place, 85% from 2 sets within 40 yards of their front door.

The local river is open so I might try to go find some muskrat runs this long weekend and set some. I would certainly like to have more rat skins to send to auction then just the few I have. Maybe a late winter badger with a coni necklace as well but that might be pushing things a bit far... :)

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 08:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

nice..good luck with the rats.....

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2017, 22:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I thought I was done trapping for the year but my allies keep catching stuff with my equipment while protecting their hearths from chicken killing, barn wrecking varmints!! Tonight, Stinkbait called me up with another coon (2nd from same spot plus a larger possum) next to his chicken coop. I wish he would have called me earlier in the season so we could have kept his birds losses at a lower level. Well, this plain vanilla boar isn't going to do anymore raiding!

I just about have everything put up for the Mar 5 NAFA pick up. I like looking at the FHA pelt handling digital manual but I think I take exception with their possum and skunk sizes. They say it takes a grinner more at least 27 inches to make 1 XL but I know I've been graded larger at NAFA with smaller lengths, unless I'm not measuring correctly. I know this is one of the larger possums I've put up and it only measures 26 inches at the straight line across from where the fur ends on the sides.

Here's a strange coon skin with a story. A security guard at my center told me about a "road killed" coon frozen just off of a local highway in early January. I suppose by the time he first saw it, the critter had been dead and frozen for 10 days-2 weeks. I finally picked it up about 10 days later and brought it home. It had thick, dark fur and was a round belly at about 23 pounds. It laid around frozen in my garage for another month before our thaw warmed it up so I could skin it out. The hide spent about 3 days in my basement frig until I could flesh it. It had a little bit of belly fur slippage so after I fleshed it, I soaked it in vinegar to change its pH to try to stop the spoilage and then I washed it like I do with almost all my coon skins. The leather was brownish when I fleshed it and dried even darker but there's no taint to it. The back fur looks very nice but I suppose I'll get docked for the way the leather looks. By the way, the critter wasn't road killed after all but someone had shot it through the neck and it had wandered off. Then again, maybe it was the guy across the street where I picked it up and maybe he had no intentions of going to look for it. Just an odd situation.

I'll probably do a hood shot of the stuff the night before I bag it up for the drop off.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2017, 00:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The NAFA pick up is pre-dawn on Sat. so got my pelts ready to be bagged up. Sending 12 coon (all 3 xl and larger), along with 5 grinners, and 3 mrats. Almost all the coon and possum were caught defending various hearths and homes from chicken killing, barn wrecking, corn stripping varmints. All winter caught. I'm holding one of the nicer 4 xl skins. My NAFA membership expires later this summer. We'll see what they can do in May...

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2017, 07:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I usually get to our local NAFA pick up point about 5 minutes into their half an hour scheduled stop and I was the second guy to drop off. I talked to the South Dakota agent and his wife for about 10 minutes and then took off at 6:16. No one else had showed up. Granted, our stop isn't usually very busy but typically there's about half a dozen guys who drop off. The agent expected good numbers to show up out West River with good yotes and some bcats and probably more up north in East River in the more rural areas but the truck looked emptier than usual here.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 20:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Had ya a nice pile there nonpc. I can see a huge improvement in your put ups. Those coon look fantastic! Great job this season.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 03:28 

I wish you the best of luck at the NAFA auction this year PC. The fur you have looks fantastic. I think with an overall lowered amount of fresh wild fur coming in I believe we'll see a small rise in the fur market. As far as the NAFA pick ups go, the last couple of years I was the only one at our stop. And maybe no one this year (which is this Saturday the 25th) because I sold what little I had at the local PTA auction.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 16:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice bunch of fur. And well put up, best to you on the sale.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017, 19:42 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Good job on the fur handling NonPC. I hope you get top dollar for them.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 18:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks for all the kind comments guys!! Just wanted to have enough coon to test the waters. I would have had more to send if a couple of my acquaintances wouldn't have used hollow points and/or had a decent closer range dispatch gun. I'm going to be home tanning a number of coon hides later this spring and summer.

This weekend I'm cleaning up some skulls. I had boiled them off back in Feb. but had them laying around in one of my garden boxes. The meat had dried too much since to pick without semi-boiling them again. Did half this afternoon and the other half tomorrow afternoon. Laid them out again on another garden box down by my creeklet. New houses back behind there now, I wonder if any of those families know what I'm laying out. Probably freak some of them out. Trappintime would have cleared out (if he ever would have stayed in the first place) of my neighborhood years back already. Way more traffic in front of my house than when we built 9 years ago. When they build out the rest of their plans behind me, probably time to clear out as well. I think the days of having a set or two for mink during the winter on my creeklet are done...

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 10:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

them neighbors see all them skulls and they think you are some kinda serial killer.. :wink:

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 17:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

My luck would be if a neighbor's dog came onto my property, grabbed one of the skulls, went back home, and freaked a wifey out enough they'd cal the health department. How dare there be wildlife in suburbia!!

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017, 03:50 

NonPCfed wrote:
My luck would be if a neighbor's dog came onto my property, grabbed one of the skulls, went back home, and freaked a wifey out enough they'd cal the health department. How dare there be wildlife in suburbia!!

You would think of all places, a resident of South Dakota would be used to seeing the remains of animals. :roll: Citiotism runs rampant even in fly-over states as well I see.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017, 18:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

yes sir some city folks just don't understand country life..like rotting skulls .fish sun rendering in a glass jug...carcass piles for luring in coyotes .buzzards circling your house all spring ,summer,fall and the like.. :wink: