Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 20:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 12:03 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

As some of you already know, a couple of years back Scott and Molly moved from the lower 48 to give Alaska a try. He was unable to share these pictures from his cell phone so I assisted with that. Now if he will come on here and tell the stories that go with the pictures, we will all know what was going on. (Swamp Rat)

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 12:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks Swamp! We are trapping in the Susitna Valley north of Anchorage, on a mans claim who had some beaver issues. My friend was trapping this area the last 2 years after I got him hooked on trapping. The first trip out we set 7 traps before we ran out of day light. My primary task was just checking out the area. We had a dusting of snow and we were able to see some fresh tracks all over. Seems like alot of martin sign, tons of beaver activity, and a bunch of fox tracks. As we were moving from lodge to lodge getting sets in(beaver was the only thing open at this point), we found a pair of wolf prints!.

Our first check, we caught 4 beaver, 3 in runs under the ice and 1 in a lodge entrance. We didn't take any pictures first trip as we forgot too. I also called in a fox over my fox pro and shot him. I even got a spruce grouse for dinner! We added 7 more sets and my friend Parker and I taught my trapping partner Scott how to set for beavers. I allowed him to primarily learn from Parker as he would be able to ask me for advice through the whole season and Parker was moving to lower 48 for a military move. We were able to set a few more bait sticks and another run around the area.

Nov 10 all other fur except lynx opens in our area, and it just so happened i I had the day off for Veterans Day.(thank you to all who served and gave their lives for us to be able to enjoy our freedoms!!) This was the first trip Molly came with as well, and Parker moved out of state. We made 5 beaver catches and 4 otter catches all on lodge entrances and bait sticks. I even caught an otter in a bait stick, assuming he was chasing fish around under the ice near the cache and went through the coni. We set 5 ermin boxes, some of them targeting mink as well, 6 martin boxes, 1 fox pee post set, and 2 wolverine cubbies. We had to pull 3 of our beaver sets as the ice completely froze the 330s in. We put in 9 muskrat sets and a couple trail sets for mink. We saw a few more wolf tracks and some fox tracks in the area. On our way back from the farthest point of the line i decided to hang back and set a few snares in what looked to me to be a perfect spot to at the very least catch a few canines passing through the area. I set 2 high for wolf, went to get my fox snares out and noticed they were frozen solid in ice from the days activities... SO i set the 2 wolf snares and was on my way.

Our next check was just molly and I, and you can see from the pictures we caught an otter, 1 beaver, 1 ermin, 2 muskrat, and my first wolf!! We took our dogs with on the line as we couldn't find sitters for the long day, and we were actually checking muskrat sets and keta (our black lab) kept stiffing the air and grawling. I assumed we had caught something in the snares i had set about 70 yards away on the edge of the marsh, but assumed it was a coyote or a fox, it didn't really cross my mind that it could be a wolf at that point. Molly was eager to go see what we got so we stopped checking muskrat sets and walked up to the snares. First snare was knocked off and I was looking for it carefully not sure if there was a critter some where laying in wait. Then i saw the wolf in the second snare. He had almost chewed through the cable at a few spots. I got the 44 mag from molly, and walked around the side of the trail to get a clean shot (forgot the 22lr in the truck lol) put 1 shot behind the shoulder and left him sit. Molly and I were both jacked! I know he weighs between 90-100 lbs nice male. We continued down the trail to our next few sets. A martin box had been sprung, with no critter in it, although all around the bottom of the tree and on the next few beaver ponds we found atleast 5 wolf tracks that were fresh sign. A ton of fox tracks as well. We set 3 more wolf snares and 2 fox snares on the way back to the wolf. Molly went and started checking the next beaver lodge across the river while i reset the wolf snares and i moved the anchors around so i could through a foothold in the catch circle for a fox or coyote, I used a 4 coiled #3 sleepy creek, doubt it would hold a wolf if it came by but who knows. I caught up with Molly at the lodge she had broken the ice and checked no catches on this lodge, but there was a large stick near the cache that was a straight up canine marker for every critter in the area. My wax paper for trap covering was frozen solid so I used a grocery bag to protect the trap and sifted snow over it. We worked our way back up river and checked our last lodge and i threw the remaining bait in some heavy brush and set my last 2 snares on the entrance trail i made going in to it. Next trip I plan on adding a few more snares to this location primarily for fox with 1 wolf snare on each end.

We head out to check the line tomorrow what a way to spend thanksgiving!! IF no catches on the beaver lodges we will pull and move to 4 new lodges that we havent touched yet. We still have just a dusting of snow, so its alot of walking. Last week molly and I did over 10 miles and of course the wolf was almost at the end of that! Any how I will try to keep every one updated. Thanks again swamp for putting these up here for me!! Hopefully tomorrow more epic pictures! Sorry for the lack of scenery pictures, don't wanna give away my location :P

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 12:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That first pic is a beauty!! That wolf is a brute. Bet it took some time to skin. :shock: All pics are awesome! Thanks for posting the pics for them Swamp. Very kind of you! :wink:

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 12:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks scunfer for sharing! Yalls doin a great job and havin a blast it appears!! 8)

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 16:54 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Awesome pics, those wolves look huge ! Thanks scunfer and Swamp. 8)

What do you do with wolf jaws ? Do you sell them ? I'd be interested in buying the jaws to make knives .

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 22:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Awesome pics and catches. You two are doing great. Just imagine if you were using a sled how much more area you could cover. Really enjoyed the pics. Congrats on your wolf.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2016, 10:05 

Those are some fantastic pics Scott!

Congrats on the great catches and keep the pictures coming!

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2016, 17:35 

Great adventure! Thanks for sharing :--D