Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 14:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Season close at hand
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 12:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

9 days before season opens for water animals ( beaver, otter, mink and rats) and I cant seem to get motivated or have a spark of interest. I have not gone through my conibears to check for damaged triggers nor inspected the snares. Nothing dyed yet. What was like waiting for Christmas for many years has now left me for this season. Beavers I have to get but I hope the spark comes before freeze up, other wise lots of extra work through the ice.

How are the rest of the members feeling for this year.

Post subject: Re: Season close at hand
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 16:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I hear you wolf!! I don't plan to do any Nov., at least until Thanksgiving time-frame, trapping. We will probably go up north to hunt migrating mallards and maybe snow geese the first weekend of open-water trap season because the birds don't seem to stage around here anymore before blowing through the state. Still might do some "adc" coon trapping for some country folks come this winter, don't know if I'd send in any skins. Might throw out a dozen of tRick's bottom edge mink sets on some creeks that I sort of have to drive by on the way home from (or to) work later in Nov. or early Dec. There's a lot less work involved in a $6-7 mink vs. a $6-7 coon. I was thinking about doing a k-9 snare line in mid-Dec. but I think I'll give up on that idea. I never got out and gps'ed any routes like I was going to do this summer, don't want to lay out the coin for a bunch of newer & better snares than what I have given the finicky nature of mid-grade yotes, especially this season. Maybe we'll try to shoot more for ebay wall-hangers this year.

My advice to you is to get your obligated chisel tooths done and then think about a few marten :)

P.S. Can you keep your skins over the season if you think the marten prices stink?? We can do that with mink and other critters here that actually have a season. We just have to contact the game people within 10 days of the close of the season and get a slip written up for them.

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 22:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yes NonPCFed we can keep our fur over till next year or the year after. When we do our year end report before the season closes in May we just mark on the trappers renewal licence form what we shipped and what we kept. Simular to what you do.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 09:31 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

You are just getting older Wolf, it takes more to "prime the pump" as you age. Fear not, a cool snap or two and you'll be standing over the dye barrel getting all your coni traps ready to go.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 15:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Been gettin a notion here lately to go through the trap pile and sort and take to car wash and get them cleaned up for yearly dye and waxing. Will trap my normal critters. Yotes, beaver and will be spending more time sharping the cat skills. Will not go hard though, just casual. Best of luck to ya Wolf and the rest of ya!! :D

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 16:16 
Trapper
Trapper

Since I'm mostly concerned about predator control for endangered species, I'll be pursuing coon and red fox. I won't be starting until mid- Nov. If all goes well I'll have enough to complete my queen size fox blanket and several coon lap blankets.
Eco

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 22:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Richard Murray wrote:
Been gettin a notion here lately to go through the trap pile and sort and take to car wash and get them cleaned up for yearly dye and waxing. Will trap my normal critters. Yotes, beaver and will be spending more time sharping the cat skills. Will not go hard though, just casual. Best of luck to ya Wolf and the rest of ya!! :D

Richard its been awhile, glad to see your alive and kicking. Best of luck to you Bud this up coming season. Same to all.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 19:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wolf1199 wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:

Richard its been awhile, glad to see your alive and kicking. Best of luck to you Bud this up coming season. Same to all.

You bet, still alive and kickin. Hopefully will get to do a little more trappin than last year. Last I was hurt for most of season, so only got a few weeks of trappin in. Still got 25 yotes plus other critters. This season will be iffy. Got surgerys coming up but not sure on dates. Jaw will be wired shut for 6 weeks. Would rather have surgery than trap. Been hurtin way to much. Will be lookin forward to ur thread and takin us along on ur line. Always enjoy it much! :--D

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2016, 18:20 

Trapping season begins here in PA in three weeks. This State normally sale a lot of furtaker licenses so we normally have a lot of compitition. However, there has been little in the way of "chatter" on the Hunting PA trapping forum which indicates not much in the way of excitement from the trapping community. I am definitely going after coyote, fisher and bobcat this year. Mink aren't worth much this year but plan on hitting them as well.

Good luck this season everyone!