Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 16:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NAFA May/June 2016 sale
PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 22:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, the NAFA lotting letters are up. I have 12 coon (8 new stuff), 1 mink, 1 grinner, and 2 skunks ready for the "big show". My coon are all W. North-Central and 1 W. Semi-Heavy, the best skin is a 2XL *SEL 2-3. No Section III. My mink is a decent litle male, the skunks average large-XL, and what I thought was a decent boar grinner turned out to be a damaged (where besides a hole on its chin??) "blackie" (swore it was the same color as the other 2 larger possums I caught this past season).

I'm betting that I won't clear $50 if everything sells. I might pay down some of my egg debt to my brother with that whopping check...But hey another season is only 5 months away ;--) :--?

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 29 May 2016, 00:33 
Trapper
Trapper

I have 11 yotes and a fox. I knew the fox was not a real pretty fur, but it ended up damaged ( I do not know where they see damage) and section III.

The graders found my two hour sewing job on my road rash coyote, which turned out to be a massive waste of time and effort. Beautiful fur, but I guess I aint no seamstress. I thought I did a heck of a job... Another one was dmg as well, and I am not sure about that one, or what the damage was?

The other nine yotes are graded very nicely though, so they should make up for the others I hope. Some are sitting pretty close to top lot.

PostPosted: 29 May 2016, 08:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

flattail- You never know what a damaged heavy pale (I suspect your yotes are heavies up there in Sask.) might go for, at least in recent past auctions. During the winter of 2014/15, a friend of mine found 6 shot yotes thrown in a road ditch and brought them over. Knowing now, these suckers had probably been taken to a traveling fur buyer and got no offers on them so the hunters then just threw them in the ditch about 200 yards down from an intersection of a county highway (not the way to dispose of unwanted critters!!!). Anyway, I made it my mission to do something with these suckers.

They were learning experiments because I had never put a yote to send to auction, either had home tanned a few or had sold on the round. I also wanted the skulls/lower jaws because there is a market for them as well once they're cleaned up. One of them ended up whole in Thor's trees because I couldn't even salvage the skull, another I messed up turning it with too wet of fur and it started to rot even in 30-40 F temps (I still have a dried piece of that one w/ the tail to tan sometime) but the other 4 I managed to get stretched properly. All of them had substantial sew jobs except maybe one that had a egg sized hole to fix. There were other issues as well, including one was missing a back leg up nearly to the hip socket.

Anyway, they went away to NAFA and got sold at last year's May/June auction. They all got graded "heavies" which surprised me because we typically have semi-heavies around here (so maybe they got shot some distance from here and were brought back by some local hunters). All 4 got graded damaged (which I expected) and all 4 sold, ranging in price from $4 to $26! The total was $50. Was it worth my time? Certainly not at a North American hourly rate. Was it worth the experience of working fur to present at auction? Absolutely!

Good luck on all your yotes. You might need it this time around. Even the northern prairie heavies may have lost their magic this time...

PostPosted: 29 May 2016, 09:39 
Trapper
Trapper

What happened with good quality yotes at FHA? I see that they were mainly unsold, but I also heard they were mostly poor quality furs???

PostPosted: 30 May 2016, 08:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hey, flattail, how did your yotes go...??? It looks like the prices stayed pretty steady for the heavies. I hope you did well!!

PostPosted: 30 May 2016, 09:07 
Trapper
Trapper

Had my yotes been in the April sale, I would have had a check for 1100 bucks. But when 90 dollar yotes get bought back, and 90 dollar yotes turn into 36 dollar yotes in a couple months, it is disappointing. The one I spent a couple hours sewing went for a whopping 2.50. Like farming, they are stealing from us! wow.

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 16:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Well I guess the pipeline is now cleaned out for coons and beaver. The averages were pathetic but they are gone. Every pelt is sold except 4 reds and 4 grays. I sold my rats, and the averages were not as bad as expected. Very similar to last sale with limits. Had some black rats that averaged $5. Wish I had more. I only get about one out of 20 blacks.

Not really sure how I feel about the sale..... :--o

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 20:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well W, my pipeline is cleaned as well. The only thing I have sitting with NAFA is a grinner that I thought was good but ended up being a damaged "blackie". The coon sale was pretty bleak as it was happening and my averages dropped another 30+% since the April auction. 3 good skins during the Jan. sale kept my annual coon average up to $8.92 and my cumulative for the 70 I've sold with NAFA in 3 1/2 years at $13.30. Time to take a break and re-access. I plan to have my shotgun in hand during this coming November, not traps...

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2016, 15:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Dont worry about the money fellas, we only do it because we love it anyways, right? :roll: :P :cry:

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2016, 17:44 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Amak wrote:
Dont worry about the money fellas, we only do it because we love it anyways, right? :roll: :P :cry:

Exactly Amak! Getting good prices is way overrated. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 08:34 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 13:46 

Amak wrote:

I'll be out there setting this fall and I know you will be as well Amak. You may have the eye roll going but we do love it. Maybe not push as hard but will be doing it.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 21:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You got that right Rick. I don't think amak could miss one year with out setting some kind of set.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 19:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I don't know guys, it was pretty quiet last season from certain parts of Kansas. I think Amak was busy trying and then sticking that big buck that he never even thought much about trapping. Maybe he finally got out a few bcat sets, maybe not...

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 14:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Looks like the great fur giveaway at NAFA did not conclude with the end of the auction.past few days have seen all ur 1 of my fox, both red and grey, move along. Averages were beyond pitiful again. I now have exactly one pelt left in Canada, a xl select grey........

I for one feel very questionable about taking $5-7 red fox.....

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2016, 16:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

WCS wrote:
Looks like the great fur giveaway at NAFA did not conclude with the end of the auction.past few days have seen all ur 1 of my fox, both red and grey, move along. Averages were beyond pitiful again. I now have exactly one pelt left in Canada, a xl select grey........

I for one feel very questionable about taking $5-7 red fox.....

Feel for you WCS. Although our fox were not that low {16 to 35 }is not good for nice looking fox. It will be a few more years of this low $ before things turn around. Marten was fairly good considering the market and averages were above the 60 mark on this last sale. Lynx and otter are still struggling. All are beaver sold at FHA and was happy with the price. I was over 27.00 and the boys were over 29.00, cant really complain at that. For myself and the boys this year will be beaver and a couple weeks trapping marten. The rest can run and get bigger. Here is something that will make you cry WCS. The first year that Swamp came to visit which was 3 years ago we pulled in $38,000.00 in 7 weeks trapping that was take home, one sale. Since then prices have plummeted sharply. Now today for this year is around $2200.00. Mind you our fur take was a lot less with fur prices.

Always tried to trap smart and make every move count and not waste money on fuel. This year fur prices on just about everything even killed that. There will be many myself included that will still harvest furs but on a much smaller scale and only critters that can sell. We have to sit tight and ride it out as we have done so many times before.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2016, 19:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

One of the first things I ever sold on ebay in the late 90s was a chest mount red fox for $72. I was jumping up and down like a little kid!! Nowadays the commercial forms are ridiculously high considering they're just a bit of urethane foam (that's what happens when cartels form) but it might be time to do more of that gonzo type of taxidermy.

I hear you WCS, selling a nice reddie for less than a Hamilton is an insult to both the animal and the trapper...

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 17:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'm a pretty good guesser. I got my NAFA check today. I cleared $55.60. I had a $4.40 ave on the 10 "section 1" coon and another $4 for the 2 "section 3" coon. The mink, 2 stinkers, and a grinner sold for another $13.10. No Nov. or early Dec. trapping for me.

I was thinking of doing a longer yote snare line in mid-dec or so, although I've never done one before. I'm a bit gun shy on that as well looking at this auctions results. The ave western semi-heavies, which we usually have around here, was $24.57. I could live with that. But the ave. section III yote was $3.87. I know that a decent yote can go to a damaged one pretty quick in grading that I probably wouldn't pick up on. A NAFA damaged yote would go higher on ebay than $5 although a guy would probably have to at least tan it somewhat. I guess I could try a snare line and see what happens. It wouldn't be the first school of hard knocks I've experienced in trapping...

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 19:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

[quote="NonPCfed"]I'm a pretty good guesser. I got my NAFA check today. I cleared $55.60. I had a $4.40 ave on the 10 "section 1" coon and another $4 for the 2 "section 3" coon. The mink, 2 stinkers, and a grinner sold for another $13.10. No Nov. or early Dec. trapping for me.

I was thinking of doing a longer yote snare line in mid-dec or so, although I've never done one before. I'm a bit gun shy on that as well looking at this auctions results. The ave western semi-heavies, which we usually have around here, was $24.57. I could live with that. But the ave. section III yote was $3.87. I know that a decent yote can go to a damaged one pretty quick in grading that I probably wouldn't pick up on. A NAFA damaged yote would go higher on ebay than $5 although a guy would probably have to at least tan it somewhat. I guess I could try a snare line and see what happens. It wouldn't be the first school of hard knocks I've experienced in trapping...[/quot

You never know till you try and will always be so. This year will be
another hard year for fur. Start late when your fur is at most prime and only keep what is best, release the rest if you can.iN MY Opinion and from my info over the years most of you should be holding your winter fur over till the next sale the following year. For many of you who dont start trapping till late December or January your fur cannot compete against prime northern fur for the spring sale. January sale is your best bet. No insults towards anyone, but if your fur is not prime when the good sales are on then hold to the following year. just trying to help for many of our member.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 00:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ok wolf, let me see if I'm following you correctly.

So, let's say I snare some yoters between mid-Dec through the first week of Jan., typically the best fur for se SD coyotes. The first NAFA pick up is in Jan. (although they did have one in Dec. 2 years ago). So the finished hides I put on the truck go to auction in Mar./April which is already past your first (best) auction of the year. So instead of selling any of my coyotes caught in Dec./Jan. in Mar./April and May/June, I should skin and freeze them, put them up in the fall, ship on my own to NAFA's warehouse in WI so they're up for auction the first auction of the next year? So for coyotes at least, where guys around my place would be in disadvantage against earlier primed up Canadian doggies, gather one year and sell early the following...??

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 19:15 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I have a question, on the NAFA report on lynx cats sold, the colors are listed as XP & PL, that I figure is extra pale and pale, but under Section/Quality the codes read RD, VRD, and RDVFLT. I feel most will say the RD stands for red but if so why is that not under color instead of Secton/Quality? How can a hide be very pale and very red at the same time?

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 20:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
Ok wolf, let me see if I'm following you correctly.

So, let's say I snare some yoters between mid-Dec through the first week of Jan., typically the best fur for se SD coyotes. The first NAFA pick up is in Jan. (although they did have one in Dec. 2 years ago). So the finished hides I put on the truck go to auction in Mar./April which is already past your first (best) auction of the year. So instead of selling any of my coyotes caught in Dec./Jan. in Mar./April and May/June, I should skin and freeze them, put them up in the fall, ship on my own to NAFA's warehouse in WI so they're up for auction the first auction of the next year? So for coyotes at least, where guys around my place would be in disadvantage against earlier primed up Canadian doggies, gather one year and sell early the following...??

PC its a hard game right now on fur. Our first pick up is early December so there for we can take advantage of the better sale in the New Year. For most of you will only start in December and thus miss the January sale you still have options. Since both auction houses seem to be having later sales as their big sale later on into April /May and over the last couple years demand is not as great at that time because the buyers have been buying fur else where. Certain items still retain some interest.

Your options can be, trap your fur and send to Nafa requesting your yotes be held over to the following Jan sale. Raccoon wont matter what sale you try and sell them in. The last couple years the water animals have done way better in the Jan sales at both auction houses then the big sale in April/May.

Option 2 is catch and process then store in your own freezer, but you will never hit the Jan sale if your first pick up is in Jan.

Its a guessing game like the stock market. Sell at the right time you win, wait and you lose.

All i can say to you is try something different. It was not that many years ago that many of you only sold to the country buyer and you took a chance on Nafa. So now you are members you decide what your willing to let go or what you want left for the sale. You all have a voice so use it and experiment like I have done the past 2 years. It was worth my effort. If you only got a handful of skins then them go on any sale.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 21:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
I have a question, on the NAFA report on lynx cats sold, the colors are listed as XP & PL, that I figure is extra pale and pale, but under Section/Quality the codes read RD, VRD, and RDVFLT. I feel most will say the RD stands for red but if so why is that not under color instead of Secton/Quality? How can a hide be very pale and very red at the same time?

Swamp I just talked with Blake from Nafa regarding your grade.
RD is red, VRD is very red and RDVFLT is red very flat, this abbreviations will fall under section Quality where RD and VRD will fall under colour.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 16:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

All my left overs sold too. I got a lump of coal for my furs...lol! I didn't bother sending in my pelts this year. I have a small arm load of rats, and I added another buck otter to the talley. Think I'll get mittens out of him. No sets for predators though. I will trap a bit more this next season I hope. Not like usual, just a tide me over. Bobcat, yote, rats, and otter will likely be my targets. I guess if they sell for beans, I'll make some cornbread to go with em.

Rick, one things for sure....if I didnt love trapping, I wouldnt be doing it. I dont care to be doing lots of other things, and so I dont do em. However, Like wolf and yourself has stated, it's hard to make adjustments going from full steam ahead and rolling em in, and then having to back off and just tinker. Honestly, tinkering cost my a $$ more money then full on rolling does....at least totalled at the end of season. Just sucks, cause what I love in trapping, is full steam ahead. I like working out that system of efficiency. Right now, you just cannot be efficient. Right now, it cost me money to trap,,,, and one of the bright spots of trapping NORMALLY.. is that it should be able to support its self, if you dont mind going at it hard. But not right now....its tinkering right now. Its Enough to keep my head from exploding from desire to fulfill....but tinkering none the less. Its all we got though, so gotta do something. ...

I

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 17:03 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:

Another part to think about, is there are 2 base color variants in cats, that deal mainly with the whole cats apperance. On its back, sides, legs, and so on. They are red and blue, and can be various stages of each, like your VRD. Most normal color ratings of xp and pl, have to do with the overall color depth or "fastness" of the cat.... You can have a pale red or med red, or pale blue or med blue or xxp of either too...or any other combination. It just means the cat is red, but adding pale to the label, makes it a lighter looking red....a "med" or "very" rating means that red is more crisp and defined. The Number ratings are a way to classify belly spotting and how crisp and defined they are, as well as how wide the belly fur is.