Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 17:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my first harvest...
PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 00:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

...of skunk essence on Sat. afternoon. It was actually easier than I anticipated. I was using a 12 cc syringe that I've used in some of my taxidermy projects. I drew out about 22 mls out of 1 stinker and and about 13-14 mls out another. Only a couple smaller floaters of more solid stuff, the great majority was pure liquid. I might try to sell locally on craigslist this next weekend. If not, I'll keep it maybe for the SDTA convention or get more next fall. Sort of fun to do!!

And yes, its a glass bottle with a screw on metal lid.

Genesis 1:26

Post subject: Re: my first harvest...
PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 08:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

R, becareful, because if you leave it for very long, the metal lid will corrode/rust on so tight you cant get it off. Found out the hard way on that..

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 17:03 

If you drop it anywhere near your house it really helps marital relations....... :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 16:13 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I decided to try my hand at collecting some skunk essence today and had pretty good luck. It wasn't a large skunk but it had quite a bit of essence. After collecting it I was outside with my Wife and she asked if she smelled skunk...I told her "a little"....she disagreed and said she smelled "a lot of skunk". Some women seem to have too sensitive noses. Actually I wasn't smelling any skunk smell. :roll:

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 16:29 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

I could drop one in the mail for anyone else who want's to try. Eagles don't like the dang things either which surprised me as they are the dumbest birds that come through here.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 21:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice job Swamp!

Amak, what do you recommend for a cap, would a good cork work or does this stuff eat everything over time??

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2016, 09:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I placed my craigslist ad this morning for my stinker essence I got last weekend. I'm asking $15, that would replace my jar and syringe and net me about $10 for my juice. Here's what I said:

I'm offering 1 ounce plus (approximately 33-35 mls, an ounce is 30 mls) of pure skunk essence extracted last weekend. Currently it is in a 4 oz. glass jar with metal screw on lid although over time the essence will corrode and rust the metal cap onto the jar. This is potent stuff, the equivalent of 2 fully loaded skunks so care and/or knowledge in handling essence should be first priority. I will deliver at my convenience to locations in...(the towns in my metro)

We'll see what happens :wink:

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2016, 10:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

NonPCfed wrote:
Amak, what do you recommend for a cap, would a good cork work or does this stuff eat everything over time??

Honestly, i dont know what to tell you on that.. Over a little time, it begins to destroy everything ive tried for a cap, plus keeping the smell sealed in is an issue. The glass seems to be the only thing unaffected. All things considered, I find it best to just periodically change caps or jars...which ever is easier at the time. If you sell it and keep it moving, you wont have problems. Its only when you want or need to keep it around for several months is when bad things can happen.

Try this for your own use... Set a non scented container of vaseline in a pan with just enough water to come up on the outside of the vaseline container, but not get into it. Remove the vaseline, and bring the water to a slow boil. Turn down heat to a simmer, and add vaseline container without lid so you can watch the contents. Let the vaseline melt completely and reaches a liquid state. Carefully remove it from heat, and take it outside, where your skunk essence is ready. Use 2-3 eye droppers full of skunk essence and put it into the melted liquified vaseline. Quickly Mix it in well with a clean disposable stir stick of some kind so it binds together. Let it cool, and it will set up again similar to its former state. Now you have an excellent water proof long lasting lure, for canines, and bobcats. This and pure beaver castor ground and aged in glycerine are my number 1 choices in predator trapping. Very very good cold weather lure....

No matter the lure you use with it, skunk essence scent molecules are very sticky, long lasting, and far reaching,,,,, and used near other lures, the skunk scent will entrap the partnering lures scent, and it sticks to it like glue, and it carries the partnering lure scent much farther, then the lure can ever reach by its self.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2016, 11:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Cool, Amak, very cool!!!

If you're not doing it already, I think you should go back and cut and paste most of your postings on WAT into a Word document and then start editing it to make a trapping book. There's a lot of wisdom in those posts that shouldn't be lost for future generations :D