Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 03:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 12:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I went out this morning and checked my snare line I have set up in this small brushy field. I tracked a pair of coyotes in the snow, and it was interesting. They walked single file, one behind the other but on occasion, they would split up. One would branch off into the brush and the other would stay in the open. They would eventually regroup and continue single file. They dont always follow trails, they follow the trial a ways and then branch off into the brush and return back to the trail. I followed them into my snares, and they both stopped at my snares, AND WALKED AROUND :evil: :evil: :evil: . Very aggravating, but its an easy explanation: I need to blend in my snares better. No more setting snares in the wide open. In parts of the trail that are wide open and not suitable for snares, I'm thinking of using a blind set. It would be an easy thing to put a trap in the trail and putting sticks across the trail to break up his stride, and making him step into a certain spot. Question: How do I keep deer from stepping in them? Does the trap need to be bedded solid? Could I just dig a trap bed and cover it with grass?
In places where the trail vanishes and the terrain opens up, I think I will put out some flat sets and urine posts. People around here wear out that dirt hole set. Everybody acts like that is the only set to use, and the coyotes in late season have probably seen enough of them. Dirt hole sets are also highly visible, and highly prone to theft. This season I have really liked the flat set even though I haven't caught anything in them yet. They are well blended, and hard to detect by trap thieves. They give off an odor so an animal can find them just fine.
I havent used any urine post sets yet this year, but I think I will start to use them more when the snow hits. A piece of wood sticking out above the snow soaked in urine would be easily detected by a coyote, and smelling the urine he would most likely come to investigate. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 13:58 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

It sounds like you aren't easily discouraged and that is good. I know NOTHING about setting in snowy situations....other than what WOLF showed me in Ontario and that was with Coni sets and snares. He is a Master at both. I think you would have good luck with both the urine post sets and flat sets. Getting the trap placement in the right spot seems to be a key factor.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 16:19 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Always bed your traps solid. As far as deer stepping in them, unless you put a jump-stick over the trap, it is always a possibility.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 18:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

ever try hay sets? set trap,anchor trap,cover with hay,lure and go! just a skiff of hay to break up the outline of the trap.around here the deer don't even look at the hay!
another set I use in the winter is a burnt stick. grab some sticks about as thick as your wrist, 2 feet long.pile them up and start a fire on the end, the other end will go in the ground.the black end sticks out against the snow, give it a shot of urine to get them to stop and check it out.trap is where you think the'll step.i use a trap stake to start a hole for the stick to go into.you can shorten the stick (I like about a foot high).again I use hay to cover the trap, if it snows so much the better!.

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.