Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 15:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2016, 20:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have been after this beaver for awhile now, he would go around all my traps, and was very trap shy. Along with my beaver traps, I have been setting muskrat traps too. I have caught five muskrats in this creek mostly with muskrat slide sets. A slide set is where you put a small coilspring trap (i use a duke 1.5) at the bottom of a muskrat slide. In case you dont know what a muskrat slide is, its where the muskrats are coming in and out of the water. They have been feeding on the grass on the creek bank. I like to slick the slide up with water and my hand for extra eye appeal. To change things up, i made a "mock slide set" I guess you can call it that lol. I slid my hand up and down a small sand bar, and put muskrat turds at the top. I put a 1.5 duke CS with no pan tension at the base and anchored in deep water. Came back the next morning and a beaver was there lol.

I dont know if this is just a freak thing, or maybe i'm onto something. There was no smelly lure used, just a slick spot in the mud with muskrat turds. I've heard that beavers are attracted to fresh mud.

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2016, 21:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

When trapping sometimes the most unlikely sets will produce, Good fortune has smiled on you. Although not what you set for some sets will surprize you.. Take it with a smile and move on as it will not happen very often.. Congrats on your surprize beaver.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2016, 22:32 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Sometimes those type of surprises make you feel good about being a Trapper! Well done.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 11:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

My brother caught one in a 1 1/2 long spring, but it was only half the size of yours. Verifies that you should always anchor for the largest critter that could get into your trap. Congratulations on the catch and holding it.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 12:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Russ and I have caught three beavers in blind water sets, made for coons. We had used the tiny #11 DLS. All three were by the back "foot", (a toe or two) and on drowners deep enough for coons, but the beavers were just swimming around in circles. One was upper 30's and 2 were in the mid 40's. Like you, all we had done, was a little mud work at the trap, but nothing else...it was an intense time, trying to very gently approach close enough for the little .22 cb shorts to do their job, without them fighting so hard as to get away. Got them we did though!

Neat when something happens like that, isnt it? :D

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2016, 16:26 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yeah thats why I love trapping, you never know what you will walk up on in a trap. Beavers have dammed up a creek and its flooded everything. The area I am at is at the headwaters of the beaver pond, because I dont have permission to trap the property with the lodge because the landowner is a ::cough:: ::cough:: BUNNYHUGGER so I am restricted upstream to the flooded creek. Which is fine, because we all know beavers travel. I caught a beaver last november there and ever since the beavers have been skittish. I have noticed every year I catch a beaver easy early in the season, then they get smart and are scared of everything. They swim around all my blind sets and wont touch a castor mound set. Its almost like "they know". Beavers are easily educated. Since I made that catch i'm starting to think that "less is more" approach is good for late season trapping. When an educated beaver see a major construction project has gone on, like blocking a creek with sticks or a big castor mound they probably spook and wont get near it. Maybe a small slick up the bank with a small green twig laying in the mud will do the trick. I like a front foot catch, so a #2 duke on a drowner wire would work fine I would think.

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2016, 16:52 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Congrats on the catch !!

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2016, 18:52 

That's Awesome!

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 18:05 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

I had the exact opposite to your catch one time. I caught a male mink in a 330 magnum in an under-ice set at a beaver lodge entrance. Thought it was a pile of weeds at first when I pulled it out. Caught him right in the center of his body, near as I could figure he visited the beaver lodge and on his way out he swam through the trap and pushed off on the trigger with his foot. Oops for him, good for me.