Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 13:06 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

The Oil & Gas industry downturn hit home here Friday. I had to take a 40% + pay cut, and was moved from a salary to hourly position. Thank God I still have a job, with insurance, and a company truck. You Northern folk suffering from the blizzard and cold need to turn your thermostats up and burn some of this abundance of natural gas and home heating fuel.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 13:22 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

wannab wrote:
The Oil & Gas industry downturn hit home here Friday. I had to take a 40% + pay cut, and was moved from a salary to hourly position. Thank God I still have a job, with insurance, and a company truck. You Northern folk suffering from the blizzard and cold need to turn your thermostats up and burn some of this abundance of natural gas and home heating fuel.

Sorry wannabe, love to help you but I heat with wood and coal . Coal is up $20 / ton since I bought it. Osama is ruining the coal industry and trying hard to destroy oil and gas too. :evil: :evil: It's not entirely his fault though. The slowing global economy is hurting too, especially China. Same as with our fur. If China isn't buying , prices go down.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 14:05 

Sorry to hear about that wannab. I sort of had a feeling something like that was going to happen. 3 years ago, you couldn't drive more than 10 miles without seeing a new gas well being erected. That really hurt the coal industry in this area with new found abundance of natural gas. As more gas wells were drilled the lower gas prices went.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 14:55 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

That sucks man. Lot of guys up here didn't get the chance to keep their jobs. :shock: Now they is wishing they had thought their plan through a wee bit more. :cry:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 15:17 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

That is tough news wannab. I too am glad you got to keep a job with your company. I talk with lots of folks who are having a hard time locating work.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 15:58 
Trapper
Trapper

Quite frankly, I am glad to see that the Gas people have been pulling out of PA. My cabin is in the Northern Tier and they were having all types of trouble with the "Gas Boom".

It's nice to go to my cabin and not get run off the road by some "Billy Big Rig" driving on the mountain like he's a crack addict.

Let alone the damage they have done to the Mountains, roads, etc.

I am sorry for your bad fortune having your job cut and all and I pray you will find a way to make ends meet, but as a person who's watched the utter devastation of the mountains and the total disregard for the environment by the gas goobers (as we call them) I am glad they are leaving our area and I hope they stay away.

They duped a lot of folks here in PA and made a few wealthy, but ultimately at what cost?

I know and have seen that the gas industry has ruined water sources and forest and farmland that cannot be recovered.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 19:39 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Roaddawg wrote:
Quite frankly, I am glad to see that the Gas people have been pulling out of PA. My cabin is in the Northern Tier and they were having all types of trouble with the "Gas Boom".

It's nice to go to my cabin and not get run off the road by some "Billy Big Rig" driving on the mountain like he's a crack addict.

Let alone the damage they have done to the Mountains, roads, etc.

I am sorry for your bad fortune having your job cut and all and I pray you will find a way to make ends meet, but as a person who's watched the utter devastation of the mountains and the total disregard for the environment by the gas goobers (as we call them) I am glad they are leaving our area and I hope they stay away.

They duped a lot of folks here in PA and made a few wealthy, but ultimately at what cost?

I know and have seen that the gas industry has ruined water sources and forest and farmland that cannot be recovered.

Same thing happened to my state roaddog. The robberbarons showed up here 100 years or so ago ( The J.P. Morgans, Rockefellers, Carnegies, etc. ) , they bought up millions of acres for pennies on the dollar from poor country folk who had no idea that their log cabins sat atop billions of dollars worth of coal beds. They clearcut the timber, destroyed the mountains to get the coal, poisoned the water and the air . They built Wall Street and the Steel mills and the railroads and left the working men with black lung and their women and children in poverty.

Now the pricks are doing it again with natural gas, raping the environment and screwing working men like wannabe. I don't know what the answer is , because I don't trust any politician to solve the problem, they are all in it for money. :evil: :evil:

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 20:29 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Here is an article about a current fight south of me over a proposed gas pipeline. Now understand that I can see both sides of this issue............... we need energy and the jobs that come with it, but in the end it is always the workers who get screwed and big energy and the politicians get the money. But read the article and draw your own conclusions.
Home
Nelson County, Virginia News, Sports, Classifieds and More

News

News: Atlantic Coast Pipeline

Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:33 pm

Rachael Smith

Following a West Virginia ruling concerning the Mountain Valley Pipeline and survey rights, landowners in Nelson county finally are feeling like there is hope in slowing down their own pipeline fight.

On Aug. 5, Monroe County Circuit Court Judge Robert Irons ruled surveyors seeking a route for the Mountain Valley Pipeline, which would run from West Virginia to southern Virginia, could not enter the property of county landowners who had denied access.

The ruling came just one day after a hearing in Charlottesville concerning the Atlantic Coast Pipeline, which is planned to run through Nelson County on its way from West Virginia to North Carolina.

Though there was no resolution at that hearing in U.S. District Court in Charlottesville, Judge Elizabeth Dillion said she understood the importance of the case.

Ernie Reed, President of Wild Virginia, said that was a good thing because of the recent case in West Virginia.

“It’s really significant,” he said. “Though in a different state, it might bode well with the case involving the Virginia Code.”

Virginia Code 56-49.01 allows pipeline companies to survey without a property owner’s permission if the company follows the necessary requirements.

“The people in West Virginia are clearly in the right,” Reed said. “The legal precedent doesn’t transfer directly to Virginia… there’s no question that Dillion will be looking at that case. Whether she feels inclined to follow that or not, I can’t speculate.”

Over at the Dominion offices, spokesman Frank Mack said the ruling will not affect Nelson County at all.

“We are confident the Atlantic Coast Pipeline project is for the public good,” he said. “A key difference between the Mountain Valley Pipeline and the Atlantic Coast Pipeline is that the MVP is being driven by natural gas producers while the ACP is being driven by utilities that need the abundant, low-cost fuel to meet their customers’ demand for electric generation and to heat homes and run local businesses.”

Mack said the ACP’s five customers have signed 20-year contracts for more than 90 percent of the natural gas that would flow through the pipeline each day.

The ACP has partnered with Dominion, Duke Energy, Piedmont Natural Gas, Virginia Natural Gas and Public Service of North Carolina, which have a combined total of about 7 million residential, commercial and industrial customers, Mack said.

Mack also said the ACP would produce about $480 million in economic activity and support about 3,100 jobs in West Virginia, including 1,800 that would be directly supported by spending on construction activties.

“As MVP and ACP are both interstate natural gas transmission pipelines, interested customers along each route can add to their existing supplies or access the natural gas via a tap with negotiated agreements,” he said.

As of Aug, 4, Dominion had surveyed more than 94 percent of the ACP tracts and more than 78 percent of the companion Supply Header Project tracts in West Virginia.

About 80 miles of the ACP are proposed to run through West Virginia, and no one in that state has yet sued Dominion over the project, Mack said.

Reed argued that in the case of Dominion not being allowed to survey, the company then would have less information about the land to include in its submission to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, which ultimately holds the authority to approve or deny the project.

“They have to demonstrate on the application how many places were surveyed and who wouldn’t allow it,” Reed said “For those opposing the pipeline, this is extremely good news. These will cause less information available for Dominion to advocate for the pipeline.”

Mack agreed that not being allowed to survey would decrease the amount of information Dominion could submit to FERC, but said pipeline companies still can file with FERC even without all properties surveyed.

“Atlantic will continue working with landowners along the proposed route to obtain permission or, if necessary, continue asking courts to affirm the right to survey under state law,” he said. “We would be expected to file supplemental route reports later in the process.”

Contact Rachael Smith at (434) 385-5482 or rsmith@newsadvance.com.

Home
Nelson County, Virginia News, Sports, Classifieds and More

News

News: Atlantic Coast Pipeline

Pipeline case in West Virginia kindles hope in local opposition

Story

Comments

Print
Create a hardcopy of this page
Font Size:
Default font size

Larger font size

Survey (copy)
Courtesy of Dominion Resources

A surveyor conducts work in Nelson County for the proposed Atlantic Coast Pipeline in this file photo from fall 2014.

Related Stories
Updated: No resolution in pipeline lawsuit after Tuesday court hearing

Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:33 pm

Rachael Smith

Following a West Virginia ruling concerning the Mountain Valley Pipeline and survey rights, landowners in Nelson county finally are feeling like there is hope in slowing down their own pipeline fight.

On Aug. 5, Monroe County Circuit Court Judge Robert Irons ruled surveyors seeking a route for the Mountain Valley Pipeline, which would run from West Virginia to southern Virginia, could not enter the property of county landowners who had denied access.

The ruling came just one day after a hearing in Charlottesville concerning the Atlantic Coast Pipeline, which is planned to run through Nelson County on its way from West Virginia to North Carolina.

Though there was no resolution at that hearing in U.S. District Court in Charlottesville, Judge Elizabeth Dillion said she understood the importance of the case.

Ernie Reed, President of Wild Virginia, said that was a good thing because of the recent case in West Virginia.

“It’s really significant,” he said. “Though in a different state, it might bode well with the case involving the Virginia Code.”

Virginia Code 56-49.01 allows pipeline companies to survey without a property owner’s permission if the company follows the necessary requirements.

“The people in West Virginia are clearly in the right,” Reed said. “The legal precedent doesn’t transfer directly to Virginia… there’s no question that Dillion will be looking at that case. Whether she feels inclined to follow that or not, I can’t speculate.”

Over at the Dominion offices, spokesman Frank Mack said the ruling will not affect Nelson County at all.

“We are confident the Atlantic Coast Pipeline project is for the public good,” he said. “A key difference between the Mountain Valley Pipeline and the Atlantic Coast Pipeline is that the MVP is being driven by natural gas producers while the ACP is being driven by utilities that need the abundant, low-cost fuel to meet their customers’ demand for electric generation and to heat homes and run local businesses.”

Mack said the ACP’s five customers have signed 20-year contracts for more than 90 percent of the natural gas that would flow through the pipeline each day.

The ACP has partnered with Dominion, Duke Energy, Piedmont Natural Gas, Virginia Natural Gas and Public Service of North Carolina, which have a combined total of about 7 million residential, commercial and industrial customers, Mack said.

Mack also said the ACP would produce about $480 million in economic activity and support about 3,100 jobs in West Virginia, including 1,800 that would be directly supported by spending on construction activties.

“As MVP and ACP are both interstate natural gas transmission pipelines, interested customers along each route can add to their existing supplies or access the natural gas via a tap with negotiated agreements,” he said.

As of Aug, 4, Dominion had surveyed more than 94 percent of the ACP tracts and more than 78 percent of the companion Supply Header Project tracts in West Virginia.

About 80 miles of the ACP are proposed to run through West Virginia, and no one in that state has yet sued Dominion over the project, Mack said.

Reed argued that in the case of Dominion not being allowed to survey, the company then would have less information about the land to include in its submission to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, which ultimately holds the authority to approve or deny the project.

“They have to demonstrate on the application how many places were surveyed and who wouldn’t allow it,” Reed said “For those opposing the pipeline, this is extremely good news. These will cause less information available for Dominion to advocate for the pipeline.”

Mack agreed that not being allowed to survey would decrease the amount of information Dominion could submit to FERC, but said pipeline companies still can file with FERC even without all properties surveyed.

“Atlantic will continue working with landowners along the proposed route to obtain permission or, if necessary, continue asking courts to affirm the right to survey under state law,” he said. “We would be expected to file supplemental route reports later in the process.”

Contact Rachael Smith at (434) 385-5482 or rsmith@newsadvance.com.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 20:37 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

There are 2 paragraphs in this article that get me to thinking.

The first paragraph is beyond funny because every moron ever born knows the producers and utilities are in bed together, along with the politicians. :evil: :evil:

The second one is the one that really scares me because it gives the impression that imminent domain will be invoked to force landowners to allow the line to cross their property.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 23:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'm sorry to hear of the economic ups and down of the hydrocarbon industries. Its certainly a boom and bust cycle, maybe more than some other commodity extraction/producing industries, maybe less, I guess a guy could figure out percentage changes in such goods when compared to others. Its sad that environments change when such primary economies are in play but people like their fairly cheap energy in the end and that ultimately will drive how things are done. Fracking has changed the equation when it comes to NG and the genie's not going back into the bottle no matter how much its wished away. The First World is entering a decarbonization era where NG will continued to gain share over heavier hydrocarbons such as coal and petroleum. Its not coming over night but that wave is coming, like it or not. Things don't stay the same forever.

The same thing could be said with the tall and mixed grass prairies of North America. We can't produce the amount of grain coming from those environments without sacrificing much of the grasslands. In eastern SD, its estimated that about 20% or less of the territory still has grasslands that have never been tilled. Different ownership arrangements than the Appalachians but I could argue the people really getting rich (with the exception of a few mega farmers) are the companies that produce the seeds, ag chemicals, fertilizers, and the big machines. The number of players involved in all of these is about a half dozen in each phase of mechanized big ag economy. Some of the same companies involved in hydrocarbons. But its not going to change because the vast majority of the consuming public in North America don't want to either think about or feel the true costs of why its easy for them to use the energy they do or buy the food they do. People with alternatives can nibble around the edges but the big picture isn't going to change. Too much inertia on the other end...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 08:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I saw this over on my scrap metal forum. He doesn't give the town but there's not many over 10K in WY so a person could figure it out. I thought it was telling, especially in areas with a non-diversified economy, especially based on a single natural resource. Then again, even in diversified economies, things are not as rosy as Barry paints it. Lots of people in lots of places hanging on by their fingernails...

Right now, people don't have the money to invest. I have an interesting metric that I use to judge the economy:

Businesses have equipment. The largest investment in equipment that most companies will make is on vehicles. If business is good, newer trucks are purchased. In a rough patch, the business will keep their vehicles longer. What I'm seeing now is pretty alarming:

Businesses are replacing their motor pools with older vehicles than they used to have. That means that money's very tight. When businesses are running square body GMs and 1st generation RAM pickups, there isn't room to be holding on. You could rent half of the main street in town. Businesses are closing. The ones that aren't are hanging by a thread. I'm one of the few lucky ones, and that's thanks to this forum entirely, not the local economy.

What's really hurt our state has been the low fuel prices. I'm personally benefiting a lot from it, but a lot of the revenue in the state is based on oil and natural gas- we're hurting. That trickles down to a lot of the people, and our yard. Our yard is shipping out everything as quickly as they can, and they're not paying for shred. The next closest yards to us are in Billings, Montana. Depending on exact location, that's 100-150 miles away.

There just isn't a silver lining out here....

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 19:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wannab wrote:

Your having some back luck for sure. But I'm afraid it's going to get a lot worse than it already is. Burning up the gas will make no difference. This is all done by design plan by our so called government. No more such thing as republican and democrat, they have come together as one party and it's against us. :evil: :evil: