Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 06:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winter Coyote Questions
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2016, 21:00 
Trapper
Trapper

I have a few questions about trapping coyotes in the snow. I caught my first coyote a few weeks ago before we got our snow here in WI. Up until then the ground was fairly warm and I was able to bed my traps and use anti-freeze successfully. Now it has been and will be getting very cold and my traps are freezing up. I have heard some people say you can put your traps in a plastic sandwich bag to prevent freezing, but how? I tried to set a few today in bags, I dug out the few inches of snow we have until I got to solid ground, put the trap in a bag and placed it on the ground and used snow to bed it the best I could. But I couldnt get the trap to bed solid, the bag was sliding around on the snow. What is the best way to do this without having to try and dig up frozen ground? I recently picked up some snares but I am having trouble figuring out how to use them so Im trying to stick with footholds. Anyone have any suggestions? Also does anyone have any issues bringing their dog with them on the trapline while targeting k-9s? I bring my hunting dog with me every where and have never worried about him "contaminating" any of my sets while water trapping but I don't know if him running around leaving tracks in the snow and peeing all over everything is hurting me at all? I have thought about placing sets next to clumps of brush or grass that he pees on under the assumption that if he is attracted to that particular clump of vegetation a coyote or fox may also be and that would be a good spot for a urine post set. Does that make sense? Thanks for all the help guys, like most people I caught my first yote and I want MORE!!!!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2016, 21:42 
Trapper
Trapper

u can bed your trap in buckwheat hulls, you can make hay sets, and learn to snare, and dont give up you wil get #2

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2016, 17:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

dkhunter8383 wrote:
I have a few questions about trapping coyotes in the snow. I caught my first coyote a few weeks ago before we got our snow here in WI. Up until then the ground was fairly warm and I was able to bed my traps and use anti-freeze successfully. Now it has been and will be getting very cold and my traps are freezing up. I have heard some people say you can put your traps in a plastic sandwich bag to prevent freezing, but how? I tried to set a few today in bags, I dug out the few inches of snow we have until I got to solid ground, put the trap in a bag and placed it on the ground and used snow to bed it the best I could. But I couldnt get the trap to bed solid, the bag was sliding around on the snow. What is the best way to do this without having to try and dig up frozen ground? I recently picked up some snares but I am having trouble figuring out how to use them so Im trying to stick with footholds. Anyone have any suggestions? Also does anyone have any issues bringing their dog with them on the trapline while targeting k-9s? I bring my hunting dog with me every where and have never worried about him "contaminating" any of my sets while water trapping but I don't know if him running around leaving tracks in the snow and peeing all over everything is hurting me at all? I have thought about placing sets next to clumps of brush or grass that he pees on under the assumption that if he is attracted to that particular clump of vegetation a coyote or fox may also be and that would be a good spot for a urine post set. Does that make sense? Thanks for all the help guys, like most people I caught my first yote and I want MORE!!!!

Me personally, I would scrap the bag idea. That trap needs to be SOLID, meaning no tipping by pressing down on a 4 corners of the trap. If it moves any, then not good enough. Sorry bud, welcome to land trappin. Froze ground or not that bed will have to be dug out or chopped out, that's trappin. If ya don't want to chop beds then ya will have to rely on snares and that's a very good option. Snares to me is my second option. I am trap first. Reason being here in Kansas is you have to get to those snared yotes quickly. If not, will have to worry about green bellies because of the warm temps at times. Kansas weather is up and down in temps big time, especially this year. I have no problems catching yotes, I think they are easy. That's only because I took the time to learn them and their habits. You do this and it will come to you as being easy in due time. Snow is your greatest asset in learning about them and it takes boots on the ground to follow them and learn what they do and how they do it. This is done in miles of walkin, not just a short ways. You do this and you will find what you read in books and see in vids is a bunch crap. Many of the men in this industry should not be giving instruction, writing books or making vids. If I have a lot of snow to deal with as yall do in the nothern parts, I would carry a snow shovel and clear a big area for making sets or in my case clearing cow trails. I want them in the pattern before they realize they are so to speak, unless its a dirt hole and this time of year I don't use them. It's all flat sets for me. It's breedin time here in Kansas for yotes. I like beddin in dirt and useing steel screen covers (I hate peat moss). Here in Kansas we have had more rain than I can remember. Hard to make a set in soupy mud then freeze. I started playin with the pipe dream set without the pipe and really starting to like it. No dirt required for bedding, but the bed must be dug perfectly. I use calcium chloride for antifreeze. Much better than salt by far. I have used both. As far as dogs on the line, don't leave home without my Jack Russel. He shows me things that I miss or can't see. Anymore questions just fire away if ya need more detail.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2016, 10:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Do you make your own pan covers or buy them premade? Also do they cover the entire inside of the trap above the pan?

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2016, 14:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I buy it by the feet\roll from Craig Ogorman. It is steel black screen wire. It's heavy duty. When it rains the covering does not sag down and leave an impression in the dirt. Especially when just useing grass for covering such as the pipe dream set bedding method. It stays in place. I cut it myself and cut it to cover purty much the entire inside of the trap.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 07:29 
Trapper
Trapper

Great news on the line yesterday, I connected with a coyote, and my first one in a snare! Living in WI we have some pretty strict cable restraint/snaring regulations, and can't make a lot of sets you other fellas can. Anyways I am trapping on a great property right now, the farmer has drainage ditches running through his property and let me come in last year to pull some muskrats out so they stop digging holes and ruining his roads running parallel to the ditches. This year when I stopped out to talk to him he gave me access to not just the drainage ditches but also the rest of his land, as well as the land he leases from the county. The county land is closed to trapping, however the land owner maintains the trapping rights to it to maintain his farming practices. Anyway I was scouting places to set traps and noticed the coyotes were running down the drainage ditches on the ice tight to the bank. The banks are very steep and there was no where to bed a foothold so I decided to try my hand with a few cable restraints. There is about 2 feet of ice out from the bank that the coyotes are using so I decided to set my restraints right where the tracks were, and then jammed a few sticks into the water as fencing so they couldn't just run around the restraint. Well after work I was checking my line and from about 100 yards away I noticed a coyote standing on the ice. I got so excited I thought it just happened to be there so I stopped my truck and grabbed my rifle so I could shoot him. Then it finally dawned on me that I had actually caught her in one of my restraints! Everything worked out great, it was a perfect catch right around the neck. My new question is, there is a heck of a catch circle from that yote, so I set a trap about 20 yards up and down stream from it. Will coyotes keep running down the ice and check out that catch circle, or should I pull my sets from that area and let it cool down? The bank has thick grass and small trees throughout and where I caught the yote as you all know it is flattened down to nothing. Will this attract more yotes or scare them off? Thanks for all the help guys

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 21:37 
Trapper
Trapper

heck ya, you done good, keep setting especially if you got a female, her mate will be looking for her, if it was a male his friends will be looking for him. 9 out of 10 times I got a female canine I got the male the very next nite, in footholds that is