Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 17:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 18:25 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hi, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to trapping. In Mn...I came here to this forum to ask some advice, learn from you guys.
My Question is...I'm starting out learning about beaver trapping and getting ready to help a friend with some beavers on his hunting property. I have fairly good durable hip waders for now and there the kind you go stocking feet in....how do you keep your feet warm ??? The rubber foot is cold just from winter AIR temp....can't imagine how cold standing in ice & water...several wool socks? Heated socks ??... What do other trappers do ? Or trout fisherman?....is there a neoprene bootie or ...???

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 18:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Welcome. Are you referring to actual stocking foot waders? If so, they make a seperate wading boot you buy that the foot of the wader goes in. I think you can get several types of boots for them.....

If not and the waders have attached boots, you're out of luck on them. All waders arent insulated, as some, like you say, are for summertime use. You have to get those designed to handle cold temps via insulation

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 19:07 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Welcome to WAT. Socks work. :wink:

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 20:33 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Welcome to WAT, keep your feet on dry ground as best you can.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 21:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

First off Gerry welcome to Wat. One question for you. Why do you want to wear hip waders when trapping beaver in the winter? I would think a good pair of winter boots would be better. Being from MN I would think your all froze over by now. Tell us more about where you want to trap and if it is still open water or solid. Then some of us can help you along.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 00:29 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

What part of mn you from i live in moorhead mn are you river trapping ?

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 07:43 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Trapping just north of Mora...creek - flooded marshland.. Oh and yes waders are boot type....going to look for wool boot liners (snowmobile boots)

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 07:47 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Yes mostly froze over but at dam were I'm focusing on has running water. And from what I've seen ( lots of YouTube videos)...best to work in water toward bank easier....than standing on bank and trying to squat and bend to work on bank.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 08:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I think wolf is addressing that issue. Its much easier to target the beavers through the ice. He is a master at this, and I'm certain he can guide you to a much easier beaver trapping life.....

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 08:57 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I watched a couple of Canadians do a lot of water (ice) trapping from the land side...

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 10:02 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thank you ..everyone for replying - responding. Good views and info...I really appreciat the help. Yes the pics look exactly like the dam area I'm going to be working on...thank you...

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 10:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Gerry setting from land side would be a lot easier and less hazardous then trying to break ice and get in the water. Beaver dams are easy to set up with out entering the water. Swamp posted some pics above that might help you.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 17:03 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

You guys are great !.. Thanks for all responses...I'm hoping I can get three beaver out of there this season..also interested in coon and coyote...just learning...And I do understand that fur prices are really low here in Minnesota but I'm still lookin to learn it..maybe get some fur for personal use....I'm a pretty craftey and love learning new hobbies

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 19:48 

gerry wrote:
You guys are great !.. Thanks for all responses...I'm hoping I can get three beaver out of there this season..also interested in coon and coyote...just learning...And I do understand that fur prices are really low here in Minnesota but I'm still lookin to learn it..maybe get some fur for personal use....I'm a pretty craftey and love learning new hobbies

Doc id craftey too. He probablt has some ideas you may wanna use.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 20:09 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

trappintime wrote:
gerry wrote:

Trappintime, did your wife beat you over the noggin agin ? Or did your spel chek quit worckin ?

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 23:04 

doc9013 wrote:
trappintime wrote:
gerry wrote:

Trappintime, did your wife beat you over the noggin agin ? Or did your spel chek quit worckin ?

I was busy talking to a fellow from WV and I guess it carried over. :roll:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 23:50 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

trappintime wrote:
doc9013 wrote:
trappintime wrote:
gerry wrote:

I was busy talking to a fellow from WV and I guess it carried over. :roll:

How many times have I told you not to talk to those backwards *** hillbillys especially when they gets into the shine u know u kno yu cant belive a wurd they says. :roll:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2016, 13:35 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

This is why I created this site. The newbies don't get bashed and everyone is here to help or contribute a little advice. Thanks to all of you guys for helping Gerry out. And Gerry...welcome to WAT.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2016, 17:16 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thank you TrapperKD.... Going up this weekend to set my first 2 traps ( at a darn & feeding spot) . going to be -8 sat night and +8 for sun high.....three nights in a camper trailer.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2016, 22:55 

gerry wrote:
Thank you TrapperKD.... Going up this weekend to set my first 2 traps ( at a darn & feeding spot) . going to be -8 sat night and +8 for sun high.....three nights in a camper trailer.

I like the way you go trapping. :D Sounds like a good time. Good luck.