Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 02:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 06:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I was setting some traps on public land, but I had to return to my car to get more traps. Two men were standing around waiting for me, one had his face covered with facepaint and no blaze orange (doe season). In an aggressive tone he started to ask questions in a loud voice asking if I had permission to be there, asking if I had the right permits, asked if i was a member of the west virginia trappers association, etc. He tried to say I cant trap there because I didnt have a "watershed permit". He then said he has been watching me over the past few weeks while I trapped the river. So I guess I have a stalker lol. I told him that I have all the right paperwork to be there and if has a problem with it he can call the DNR. He started saying he traps that area and blah blah blah. So in a nutshell, this thug came and defended "his territory" and tried to run me off despite it being public land. He then asked my name, I asked for his name which he gave to me suprisingly. He got in his truck and tore out of there throwing gravel everywhere. I called the DNR and this guy has no permission to be there, and I talked to the game warden and hunter harassment charges are pending. Its getting bad out there!

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 07:20 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Job well done CoonGitter. It isn't always easy to stand your ground, especially when the opposition is in numbers. Texas has a hunter/trapper/fisherman harassment code too and I used it once and it ended my situation.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 08:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Wow, the gall of some people! Id like to think the majority of trappers are decent to one another, but the fact is, there are plenty out there that are more dangerous and cut throat then anyone. I have ran into a few of them myself. Fortunately, most trapper encounters for me are decent enough, and often ends in long talks and picture sharing sessions. Those few though, ALWAYS gets ugly...

Hang in there CG

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 10:04 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Wow i cant believe sportsman act like that to 1 another if trapping was my primary income i would cover as much as i could but if i ran into another trapper iwould share. Also to those people who steal traps fur and tree stands karma and a trail cam are whats in store and once it gets turned in to proper athourities and they figure who you are i sure hate it for you word travels fast and justice is swift

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 13:47 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

There are a lot of idiots out there. I guess I've been lucky over the years. Course I usually am armed. :twisted:
I've heard cases of landowners in my area catching trespassers on their land and the trespassers trying to run them off their own land.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 21:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

He is one of those guys that goes through life pushing everybody around thinking he can do whatever he wants. He thinks he is king of the woods, and whatever cool story you have he has one better. You shoot an eight point buck and I can promise he has shot a ten point. The way he approached me, sticking his chest out acting all arrogant and being a loud mouth spoke volumes about his character. It makes me wonder how many other people he has muscled and bullied out of that area. I"ll tell ya the reason he acts that way....its because nobody has knocked him off his high horse. Its because he gets away with it....and I tell ya what, i'll give it to the end of next week and if I havent heard from the DNR I will call the warden back and if he says the county prosecutor wont press hunter harassment charges I will go straight to the attorney generals office. This will not be swept under the rug. Then I will contact the president of the WVTA and tell them what transpired so that way they know of the few bad apples they have representing them in the field.

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 22:01 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

CoonGitter wrote:
He is one of those guys that goes through life pushing everybody around thinking he can do whatever he wants. He thinks he is king of the woods, and whatever cool story you have he has one better. You shoot an eight point buck and I can promise he has shot a ten point. The way he approached me, sticking his chest out acting all arrogant and being a loud mouth spoke volumes about his character. It makes me wonder how many other people he has muscled and bullied out of that area. I"ll tell ya the reason he acts that way....its because nobody has knocked him off his high horse. Its because he gets away with it....and I tell ya what, i'll give it to the end of next week and if I havent heard from the DNR I will call the warden back and if he says the county prosecutor wont press hunter harassment charges I will go straight to the attorney generals office. This will not be swept under the rug. Then I will contact the president of the WVTA and tell them what transpired so that way they know of the few bad apples they have representing them in the field.

Good luck going through the channels Coongitter. Hope your county guvment is less corrupt than ours. :evil: :evil: sounds like this dude needs an attitude adjustment from some good ol boys. works every time. :wink:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 04:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

UPDATE

The game warden called, and he said after talking it over with his supervisor they decided charges wont be filed because its "not against the law to be a butthead". I was not suprised by this, but at the same time I was. BUT the game warden did show up at his house and gave him a butt chewin' so I guess thats better than nothing.

8 Raccoons

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 08:58 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

A little pep talk may settle this guy down and let him know he is on the radar.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 09:04 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I agree with swamp. Sometimes just knowing the law is involved changes things.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 09:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Fish and Game here would lift a finger to help. Now if you thought about bumping a law you will get crucified. But they have free reign.