Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 10:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 14:16 
Trapper
Trapper

I have yet to catch a fox this year, which is amazing. The only thing that I can think of is that I might have burnt the wax. I know that I am suppose to start from the beginning. Since they are in the ground already, is there anything I can do to them now, to cover the smell of the wax.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 15:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Im guessing you are saying the fox are digging up your traps?

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 19:05 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Welcome to Wat. Got a problem with scent? Redo. Then find out it was something else. :roll:

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 21:01 
Trapper
Trapper

set where you see tracks use a good lure ,keep your trap back 6" from it dont relure unless you get a hard rain then only 2 or 3 drops, when it snows an only then add bait to your set. now 15 yards down the trail make a urine post set, you will have a fox in 3days

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 21:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

" you will have a fox in 3days"
ONLY if you are on location. The best lure and bait, added to a well made set, that isn't where the target is likely to find it, will not catch much of anything.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2016, 07:30 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

remrogers wrote:
ONLY if you are on location. The best lure and bait, added to a well made set, that isn't where the target is likely to find it, will not catch much of anything.

Well, THAT gets a big trapping "amen" from me! Knowing what it truly means to be "on location" isnt observed by many trappers, and its way more important than most other things trappers tend to worry about. Id take my chances with a single trap with no other help from lure, baits, etc (blind set) that is spot on where the animal will step..., then to have 10 perfectly made baited/lured sets strung haphazardly. Its not always 100% possible, but most always, I like to set in a spot where I have a good idea im going to catch the target animal no matter if it "wants" lures/baits or not (again, like a blind set), then if desired I add the smells. In many cases I wont need those extra "good scents" though and the trap is enough.

On the States side, snaring is prominently used as a blind set. Trappers by the bunches string them up with confidence. But add a steel trap to the same game, and they feel they must apply them lures, and suddenly lose all confidence in blind setting. There is No difference really.....other then maintenance issues. If folks used blind set steel more, there would be much less issues to face, and questions to answer....at least once the whole jist of truly being on location is learned.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2016, 17:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
remrogers wrote:

Well, THAT gets a big trapping "amen" from me! Knowing what it truly means to be "on location" isnt observed by many trappers, and its way more important than most other things trappers tend to worry about. Id take my chances with a single trap with no other help from lure, baits, etc (blind set) that is spot on where the animal will step..., then to have 10 perfectly made baited/lured sets strung haphazardly. Its not always 100% possible, but most always, I like to set in a spot where I have a good idea im going to catch the target animal no matter if it "wants" lures/baits or not (again, like a blind set), then if desired I add the smells. In many cases I wont need those extra "good scents" though and the trap is enough.

On the States side, snaring is prominently used as a blind set. Trappers by the bunches string them up with confidence. But add a steel trap to the same game, and they feel they must apply them lures, and suddenly lose all confidence in blind setting. There is No difference really.....other then maintenance issues. If folks used blind set steel more, there would be much less issues to face, and questions to answer....at least once the whole jist of truly being on location is learned.

x3

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2016, 19:29 
Trapper
Trapper

Butch does this help you, dont over analyze, dont use a bunch of lure. where theres fox tracks there is fox, like the guys said location is a must, something else that might help is use the prevailing wind in your favor, that way the animal hasto cross over your trap to find what hes smelling, gang setting wont hurt eather. the more you trap the better you get. good luck

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 07:51 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

This has nothing to do with a fox digging up traps, but this season, my friend Festus and I have been experiencing something pulling the grass wads and attractants out of our dirt hole sets and messing with our post sets. We were giving possums and crows all the credit until I was able to see tracks at two different locations.....there were no other tracks but DEER. I reckon the smells attract the attention of some deer. Oddly enough, neither of us had trouble with feral hogs messing with our sets even though there were plenty in the area and we felt sure the lures and baits would cause them to root up our sets.