Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 08:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I can almost taste it
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 07:18 
Trapper
Trapper

After 2 years of setting for yotes I finally had one work a set. He worked the set from behind and stole my bait but he left me a smelly gift beside the dirt hole and one paw print 2 inches above the pan. My hole wasn't deep enough and my backing was lacking greatly and he was able to get in from behind. Will he return for more and if he does how can I adjust my set to catch him? I'm going to dig my hole deeper for sure but should I change backing or will that make him suspicious? All I have now is 2 large sticks crisscrossed behind the hole.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 11:52 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

He knows there is something there he doesn't like. He marked it and will be back. You could try another trap back of the one you have or bigger/better backing. I never put sticks out as a fence to make them step on the trap as you did in one of the pics. keep trying and repeat what works.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 12:22 
Trapper
Trapper

I'm not sure what pics you're referring to but I didn't use any guide sticks. I think he's the thief that's been stealing the bait from this set for the past 2 weeks. I suspected it was a possum but never could find tracks. I think it was him working it from the back. He loves that RK predator plus bait in the sheeps wool.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 12:42 

jermbonoutdoors wrote:
I'm not sure what pics you're referring to but I didn't use any guide sticks. I think he's the thief that's been stealing the bait from this set for the past 2 weeks. I suspected it was a possum but never could find tracks. I think it was him working it from the back. He loves that RK predator plus bait in the sheeps wool.

Sorry :oops: . I confused yours and someone else's post. When a coyote leaves his marker it usually means he knows you. Change it up subtly.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 12:45 
Trapper
Trapper

My plan is to stuff some dead mice down the hole with a dab of the predator plus. I'm gonna dig my hole much deeper too so he has to work from the front. And maybe use raccoon gland and urine instead of fox.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 16:26 

That may work. I personally only use a coyote gland lure and tainted meat for bait. I also use a 1-1 1/2 inch auger to dig my dirt holes 8+ inch's deep. Clean is the ticket I always try to punch.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 17:00 
Trapper
Trapper

I have some cavens yodel dog coyote gland but I used that last year and had no response from any coyotes. The fox scents seem to be the ticket for me.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2015, 23:07 
Trapper
Trapper

Well he came back last night and he knew what he wanted. I had dug my dirt hole about a foot deep and 2 inches wide and stuffed the bait all the way down. This morning my dirt hole was a crater. He worked the set from the front just like I hoped but all the rain we had gotten had bogged my trap down so bad it didn't fire. It looked like he did the river dance on top of my trap and he dug all the way down and got that bait and left. I was absolutly disgusted. I reset everything and it looks surprisingly good so there is still hope. But there is a lot more rain in the forecast.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2015, 23:47 

Good luck on him bud. I hadda laugh at your description as I've been there and done that. :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2015, 09:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

boy howdy,,,,,,,that does sound very familiar.....ugh! :--?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2015, 17:00 
Trapper
Trapper

Many years ago I bought and read a professional trapper's dirt hole book. He explains in it how to set up a dirt hole, and I use his method. Every single dirt hole I have seen made, is made completely backwards. IE the trapper kneels/stands, so the trap is between himself and the hole. If I were to take a picture of my dirt holes, you would not see it at all like everyone else makes them, because I refuse to cross that line. You would see it from the hole side, and the hole would not be visible. The book explained to put the hole between you and the trap, so you are reaching over the hole to place the trap, and much less scent and other sign is left, because beyond the trap, there was no human, no disturbance, no tip off. The yote smells you, knows you were there, but reckons you were on the other side of the hole, so who cares? I am a firm believer in this method, and I would suggest you give it a shot. Had you done your set this way, the yote would have been in your trap. He obviously did not wish to be on "your" side of the hole. Keep the hole between you and the trap, and the expected direction of approach.

Not saying it is the only way, just saying had your set been made like this, the yote most likely would have been caught. something to think about...

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 21:49 
Trapper
Trapper

Well it's been 4 days since his last visit but after this morning he won't be back. Cause he's at the taxidermist now. Big blonde male bouncing around this morning. Textbook catch. 550 right above the paw. I don't really know how to put into words what I'm feeling after my first yote. My confidence is sky high now and I'm putting in an order right now for more 550's and some baits/lures. The flames have been stoked. I also picked up about 20 acres of CRP that is crawling with predators. It's actually where my yote came out of. This field is full of pheasants and it's got a drainage ditch and ATV trails along the edge. Like something out of the trapping tutorials I've watched. My boss owns it and he was more than happy to turn me lose in there. My head is in the clouds right now and my wallet is emptying as I'm writing this because Santa's visiting again but he's bring trapping gear this time.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 22:58 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Patience is a good virtue in trappers. Glad you got your target.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 23:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice job jerm...!!!! Glad you got one. Where's your general location (part of state...)?? CRP and pheasants, sounds like somewhere in the Great Plains.

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 12:27 
Trapper
Trapper

North central Indiana. Several years ago one of the neighboring farmers turned a small cornfield into CRP and released gamebirds after it had grown up a little. The owner of the field now just happens to be my boss. It borders 35 acres of woods/cornfield that I also trap. I'm stacking up more land every year.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 12:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Great job! Nothing ever quite like the first in trapping! Very happy for you. The 550's will treat you well.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 12:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks amak. I've had several first catches this year and I'm lovin it. I have a question I just remembered. Can coyotes see red light? I have a trail cam over a bait station and every time a yote comes in and the camera starts filming they take one look at it and get the heck outta dodge. My camera produces a very dim red glow at night when it records video but on TV I saw some guys using a red light to hunt yotes and they didn't seem to notice it at all. What's the deal?

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 15:34 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

jermbonoutdoors wrote:
Thanks amak. I've had several first catches this year and I'm lovin it. I have a question I just remembered. Can coyotes see red light? I have a trail cam over a bait station and every time a yote comes in and the camera starts filming they take one look at it and get the heck outta dodge. My camera produces a very dim red glow at night when it records video but on TV I saw some guys using a red light to hunt yotes and they didn't seem to notice it at all. What's the deal?

I have found animals seem less excited with the old fashioned white light trailcams.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 16:02 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Good job on the yote !!

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.