Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 05:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 18:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yummy! Man there isn't much better deer meat available then that right there! Very good for a person too, being the ultimate in "organic" food! (If there WAS such a thing) Guaranteed no added growth hormones anyway. Good job NPCFed and family!

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 18:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

WCS wrote:
remrogers wrote:
Not to be critical, but I find if my canine footholds are fifteen to twenty feet, sometimes up to thirty five feet, out from the fence lines, I get fewer skunks. Still try to stay upwind and use something that stands out from the field, like a large clump of grass. Snares are the exception and stay on the fence lines at crawl unders, but I do stake away from the fence and use extensions and kill springs.

Also, I see a good snare location to the left of the coon, near the open ground. Set up on the point of weeds, as this is where the canines will move around the downed tree and heavy weeds. Set up both sides of the weed patch. For trails in the tall grass, snares are the way to go.

Why would he want to avoid skunks? They are in demand and selling fairly decent for big white stripes. I would rather a skunk now than a wired hair worthless yote lol

This would be a true statement WCS in New York, but in Minnesote they have the more desired colored yotes and and that means more dollars than the eastern dogs. Yes skunks are in demand and so is the stink. Skunks are always welcome in my sets. I don't worry about the trap stinkin if they spray, the whole burn circle will stink and will not matter one bit unless you are useing it in a new set. PC, I keep my yote sets on them edges just like you got yours set. That's where they are huntin. I catch yote after yote on them edges no matter how big the backing is. If they are hunting there, you will catch them there. If there is disbelief in my statement, I can post pic after pic of them edge catches and up against big objects they can't see over. Worrying about catching possums will only cost you yote catches in the long run. :wink:

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 22:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Finally scored again with a cubbie up on Ry's pasture in the little cut that goes down to the creek. About 200 yards away there is a large culvert that leads down from crop fields and a shelter belt and even though there's almost no discernible drainage across the pasture until the last 30 feet or so where it really cuts down, critters must follow it as we have caught a number of coon and a stinker in basically the same place over the last 3 years. About an 18 pound dry sow that I think has good color. I'll send it to NAFA fur jail and see what happens...

P.S. The gray on its back is frost.

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 04:52 

Nice coon PC!

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2015, 22:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The season of discount with "other" catches continues. A guy I know lives on the way to work and I've trapped part of his property before, although not last year. I was going to get in some k-9 legholds at the south end of his alfalfa field a few weeks back but the winter weather conspired against me and I didn't get them in. He did want to try to reduce the number of coons right around his homstead and talked to him about my coon cubbies but warned him that they do kill "others". He said they didn't have any on his place and could set a couple out by a branch/wood pile he had in his CRP field about 100 yards west of his house. What he didn't factor in was his neighbor's others coming the 300 yards across the highway onto his property and less than a week I caught 2 of them so I pulled the boxes today after the second catch. More others than coon in the boxes so far this year.

I've now switched out any fish oil based bait with sweet bait mixes and maybe that will reduce the other take in the future. But probably not all. I once saw one of Thor's others eat 4 oz. of grape jelly/anise oil and marshmallow mix while spending a night in a live trap cage. I also think that others find the tunnel like qualities of a cubbie intriguing and check them out. All I know that after the last 3 years, I don't think there is a place in my county that is potentially immune from never seeing someone's other come across it. I've caught them over a mile from any occupied dwelling. I think most people have no idea how far their others will roam and what they're doing all those nights away from the place. But trappers will never win that fight. Having roaming others killed by a car is acceptable collateral damage for most country dwellers. Having their others meet their demise in a bodygrip trap on someone else's property is not. But I'm the unethical mean bas***d, right...?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 16:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Since road kills are more accepted, take your others and lay them along the side of the road..... :lol:

Seriously, Its a problem for sure nonpc. Thats a big reason im not a huge user of lethal land sets, especially when they require bait of about any kind. Even scents not normally associated with attracting "others", often do, and for no other reason, because of the famous "curiosity". Truth is, more cars, fox, coyotes, owls, bobcats, and the such, take others way more often then trappers. I often have found a good portion of "others" to be ferral and wild, doing much harm to the eco system in those cases. Still, I try to reduce those occasions. One more plus for the DP's and very often, footholds. For some unknown reason, folks just seem to care less about those "others" running rampant then they do their valued "best friend". All you can do, is to do your best, and if someone's other gets in your set a mile from home, well,,,,you cant hardly blame yourself though it does suck, nor can anybody else.

I once was setting public ground, and the dogs from the house across the road were messing around on the public side when I left. I feared they would find my sets though they started near a half mile in. The owner was an officer, and so I was very much at ease in pulling into his place to warn him of the possibilities. He wasnt very warm about it, but asked how far in the coyote traps were. I told him, and he quickly said he wasnt worried about it. I again urged him to keep his dogs, as the traps were good sized and strong mb's. He acted put out....so I thanked him and left. 3 days later, running my sets, I seen his dogs tracks going straight back there and not coming out, along with human foot prints going both ways. I had a bad feeling. Sure enough, the dog had gotten in the trap and looked like fought it hard. From what I could tell, the owner officer had gone in, got him, and carried him out. Big dog too. I felt horrible, even though I did everything I could to keep that from happening. There are REASONS why pets are not suppose to run all over the country side at will. THAT is the owners fault, even though it sucks for the rest of the outdoors folks.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2015, 22:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak- Did the owner ever see and talk to you again?? If not, I guess he realized that he was wrong and his dog got gimped for a while. Sort of reminds me of our old Scoutmaster the kids had. Her current husband is a part-time farmer but they live on the family farm about 8 miles further out than bedroom town. I used to have to go out there once and while for Scout stuff and one week or so in Dec. in 2011, I trapped some of his land. Anyway, the first time I was out there, a very nice uncut male pit bull was there to greet me. I have nothing against that breed and this dog was friendly but she told me the story about how it had strayed one time 5 miles a way and some other land owner had called them (the dog was her son's and I don't know how the other guy figured out it belonged at this place). Anyway, my mouth I'm sure had fallen open because first of all I wouldn't have an uncut male dog unless he was some sort of breeder and the idea of just letting a big dog loose for miles blew me away. I told her a guy with a nice hunting female lab or whatever may not take kindly to pitbull jungle balls showing up at his place and breeding his lab. I don't know if I'd ever pull a trigger on a dog unless it was aggressive to me or somebody else but I don;t think they would have gotten the dog back, at least not the second time, without paying some cash out to the county animal control to get it out of doggie jail. But she didn't insist on her son cutting the dog to stay out at the farm because he might want to sire the dog on his own. Hard to believe...

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 07:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

No, actually we never talked again. At the time, when he got his dog, he also went up a little ways on my set area, and sprung a couple traps. He didnt find the other 6 or 8 in the area, but its always been my policy, that if I detect abuse or attempted theft, I pull traps and move out of the area. It was obvious to me I was going to have trouble in dealing with him, cop or not. So I pulled instantly, left the area, and have never been back. I learned that the animals I was after, ran the next section to the south too, and with no sign of intrusion over there, I just set there. Earlier I stated these were coyote set in talking to the guy, but the truth is, i didnt want him to know, I was indeed using coyote sized traps, but was set for bobcats. I dont like anyone knowing im after cats, because they are to sought after and theft becomes an issue. In any case, like stated, we busted the 3 cats that ran that place to the south, so avoiding the whole situation seems like a better answer then the alternative.
But, I can say that elsewhere, in the middle of nowhere, we have found dogs in our traps. The worst was a 100 lb German Shepherd, that was anything but friendly and was down right vicious. Was quite a challenge getting it turned loose, then avoiding attack. We got it done though, and the dog was on its way unharmed. It would have been nice for the owners to have kept the mean sucker at home though. I think most we catch, are out and about like that from pushing and running deer, based from past experience.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 11:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak- In Sioux falls more than one little kid has been killed by a vicious dog. Not that it happens all the time or even annually but I can recall at least several in the past 15 years and the city really doesn't have any "bad" neighborhoods. Just careless people who didn't know enough about their animals. Out west, there have also been several kids killed by dogs on a couple of the big Indian reservations where packs of uncontrolled dogs can form. I suppose this happens in a lot of poorer areas where people don't get their animals neutered and lot just don't care enough to control the animals. Yeah, I'd fear releasing/ being in close contacts with a big dog over the coyote any day of the week and maybe even a wolf, although I've never been up and personal with a lobo. But after watching a couple of guys from WI here on WAT release wolves, I think those critters mostly just want to get away, except for that one big male that Coyote Crazy released that sort of held its ground and didn't go off quickly into the woods. I'd certainly be packing more than my .22 if I was trapping in wolf woods (wolf will probably laugh at me for that one!!)

P.S. I wonder what happened to Coyote Crazy?? He has n't posted for the last 2 years that I know of...

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 15:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

One reason why I like my coon cubbies as a low-intensive trapper during the winter is that unless they get buried in some big snowstorm, they sit and wait ready to fire while I check them every other day on the way to or from work. I wish there was something a bit more luractive than coons, skunks, and grinners that take to checking them out but I'll still take a decent size western northern or western north-central coon that comes by, especially if I'm not putting much more than the usually gas money needed to get to and from work.

I took off work early on Thurs. tryint to have T git a shot at filling his youth deer tag (antlerless deer only). All the other gun seasons except maybe muzzleloader are done around here but youth will go through the first half of Jan. We got up to Thor's shelterbelt behind his house and posted up for the last half an hour of light after I had pushed the trees toward T who was out on the edge of the trees and pasture waiting. Cold night to post up with the wind blowing pretty stiff and down into the high teens for a temp. No deer seen but we did check 2 cubbies on the way home.

The last one had been in a dry road culvert since sometime in Nov. with no action but stopping by this evening a fur ball had climbed up and into the box, took the hit, and then pulled the cubbie out of the cubbie and onto the rocks below. I'm surprised someone didn't grab it during the day or so it was probably there but maybe they didn't see it or were actually honest enough to leave it alone. Anyway, it wieghed about 18 pounds and will probably go 2-3X although probably a lower color which is fairly normal for around here. Now I just have to thaw out the fursicle.

Its supposed to be in the mid-30s the first 3 days of the coming week...

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 17:06 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

NonPC, it took me a moment to realize that was snow on a coon...I couldn't figure out what varmint was marked with so much white that wasn't a skunk! :roll:

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016, 22:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Because we don't have Uncle Bens hanging out of our pockets and were residents here and can go out all season long, I never seem to get out pheasant hunting much anymore, its always lets wait until later. Well, later in the season is here (as in the end) and my youngest son who is gung-ho hunting hadn't got a pheasant, hasn't in a couple of years. So we went out this afternoon, first stopping at the bro's to pick up his 4x4 PU because I thought some of the township gravel roads might have drifting problems because of the snow we had last week and the wind the past couple of days (I'm sure no township road guys busted finger drifts on New Years!!).

Anyway, T decided to walk through the slough across the road from bro's because we always see birds in and out of there while I moved stuff from my car to the pick up. A couple to three dozen birds in that slough, mostly hens and mostly getting up out of range but late season hunting you always hope for the couple of roosters who may have made the mistake of hanging tight. One did and T dropped him with his second shot. One of the nicer looking birds I've seen in a while so I think I'm going to show him how to mount a flying rooster in a few weeks after I order some supplies (probably don't have the right size body and maybe the right eyes in my current stash that doesn't get used much anymore). I'll have to find a scalpel blade tonight to do the preliminary work of taking the pelt off with head, wings, feet, and tail attached. He doesn't like to smile for pixs but almost cracked one in the second photo...

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2016, 08:31 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

What is the white stuff. :shock: The lad looks good in his camo. :D I wear the same kind. :lol: Good job T on a very pretty bird. Feel proud. One thing about your pics Rog is I can relate to them.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2016, 10:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice shootin T! Been forever since I've taken any upland bird of any kind. That cock pheasant is sure pretty, and makes me want to go again. I love the eating part too, on them and Bob White's.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2016, 00:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, tRick's "bottom edge" 110 mink/mrat set struck in South Dakota!

On Christmas Eve afternoon, my friend Ry's creek in his pasture was still open so I put out 5 110 "bottom-edge" sets. I hadn't used this set before and made the mistake in this location not to stake some sort of marker on the top lip of the creek so I could find my sets after it snowed even though my 110s have a 30 inch 2x2 piece wired to them to serve as either an open water stake or a cross stake when I'm ice trapping rat huts. Thought for sure I'd be able to find this piece of the set even if we had some drifting. Wrong. Looked after Christmas but couldn't find them and didn't have the right shovel along to move a bunch of snow.

This afternoon it was still cold (a few degrees below 0 F) but no wind so I wanted to recover my bottom edge sets and get them out of the creek before the unknown aspects of spring thaw happens later on. I knew 3 were between two given points and then had to figure out the flatter spots that I could have gotten down to set before all the drifting happened. Happily with my scoop shovel, I moved enough snow to find all 3 in that stretch of creek (didn't find the other 2 yet). After finding the wooden cross pieces, I got my friend's heavy steel "spud bar" and chipped down through the ice (actually fairly soft yet) and with the second set as I started pulling it out of the water, I saw fur and thought it was a mrat but actually it was a medium sized mink which of course froze up the 110 before I got home so now has a heater on it out in the garage to skin out tonight.

Probably only worth about a 5 spot put up but after getting back in the car at -5 F after some physical work in the cold and success in a semi-marginal place, I was pretty tickled to have it in the trunk. Sometimes it doesn't take too much money to get some satisfaction.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2016, 09:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

nice catch...

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2016, 10:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice catch on your mink. Lot of work you did for it. That one should stick around in your head for many years.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016, 05:01 

That's when those bottom edge sets work the best PC! Congrats on your under ice catch.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2016, 14:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Way to go PC. I love winter mink trapping. Every creek has em and they are easy to trap once you can see their tracks I the snow. Coni's protecting every hole they go into and it's only a wait til they come back through. Easy.

By the way, I see you all over the brown site lately. I seldom post there but had to bust ur chops about the awesome shower curtain. Loved it.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2016, 00:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah, when I lived further west in this metro and closer to a bunch of public slough land, I had fun running a few mink with nothing more than my 110s and going to find fresh places where they had dug in and out of snow banks and wait them out. But haven't done that in the couple of years because I couldn't justify the gas from here. Maybe next summer I'll scout much more seriously around and north of here (to get away from exurbia) and set up a yote snare/mink line for mid-Dec. through mid-Jan. Like you said, there are mink along these creeks around here, maybe not the numbers like multiple wetland complexes but enough to keep it fun. Just don't know if $5 or lower mink will at least help me break even doing it!

As for the "interesting" shower curtain that WCS mentioned, yes, I joined tman and have posted there. One of the posts was what fur was on this woman's heavy winter coat (I've tried re-selling a number of them on ebay this winter). The coat either usually tells or gives a hint of what kind of fur it is or I can take a good guess but this one was a bit harder because I was thinking it might be fur from a dark wolf. On tman, I got guesses ranging from Chinese domestic dog to Asian raccoon-dog to a couple of guys who did think it was a darker wolf. The coat company is of good enough brand that they might spring for wolf trim. Anyway, I take pixs of these coats hanging from the shower curtain bar in the downstairs bathroom that wifey has in a beach/ocean shore them. So here a couple of the fur trim photos.

And just for WCS, here's the rest of the bathroom with the theme. Makes you feel warmer already, doesn't it...??

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2016, 23:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We're in the midst of a major thaw, don't know if its The spring thaw but the denned up critters are moving a bit. I still have a few boxes out yet and have some dps set at Thor's and the Hay Farmer's farmsteads on the way to work.

I caught this nice sized, paler boar grinner yesterday at one of Thor's parcels where he has a falling down old house. He was about half way through my 160.

I got this nice colored 10-12 lb. sow coon this morning at Thor's. The fur still looks good. I wasn't going to send in anything less than 2XL but I might have to do this one, probably a 1XL maybe 2XL if I push it. I've noticed most of my better colored coon tend to be sows.

I'd like to pull at least 1 more coon off of each farmstead given the sign I've seen in the snow over the next few days and then call it quits for these critters. Maybe try to find some active badger holes and put a necklace around their neck coming out with their decent late winter fur. I haven't heard any snow geese yet but they can't be too far away!!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2016, 14:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

A couple more form Sat. morning. Its often amazes me what a coon will do while contained. This one decided to make himself a mudball through the cage. I haven't caught one this muddy in a long time, just from the cage sitting on a dirt patch that was thawing. This coon was a weird one, long skinny (the cage is extra large) he'll go 3 XL without too much of a push, I'm sure he weighed more in late Nov. or early Dec. His nads weren't as developed as another boar I took in a dp 10 feet away about 10 days ago but he had a bull neck and his hide wouldn't hardly pull at all. Thought he might be an old one in decline but his teeth weren't worn.

Caught this smaller boar (1XL maybe 2 XL) at the falling down old house site. He out up a big fight with the 160 by popping the bungie and flipping the box over a couple of times.

The Buick has been getting pretty dirty the past few days. A little snow this morning washed off the side windows a bit.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2016, 16:59 

Rog the car looks like all our vehicles.LOL Man I'd like to look around that place. Funny to me that you never grabbed a skunk there.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 22:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

tt- I did get a pepe lepew there last year in the old Red Rooster memorial 220 plastic bucket around the corner. There was still some lingering essence in the bucket when I reset it this fall :wink:

This spring I'm going to take down the north exterior wall of the house. There are some nice weathered "distressed" boards that people often pay cash for. Even have some with added shotgun holes and patterns in them (long before my time there).

No action there this morning but got another one at the hay barn. He wasn't as bad as a mudball as the one on Sat. but he was trying. 3 boars in 2 weeks next to their entrance into the hay barn. Maybe all the honeys are inside in the hay enticing them in...

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 13:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Way to keep after them. When does your land season shut down? Our concluded on the 15th.

Live Free or Die