Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 04:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Any action yet??
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2015, 21:59 
Trapper
Trapper

WCS wrote:
Having a real issue this year with the deer springing my sets. We are completely overwhelmed with the deer around here. I never had this kind of issue before. Any of you seasoned trappers have any advise on how to keep the deer out of the sets? Thanks

I know exactly what you are talking about. Every day I had multiple traps set off by deer. At least they did make to much of a mess. Just had to reset and sift over. But for whatever reason the number of deer set offs was way up this year. Deer numbers seem the same as other recent years though.

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2015, 22:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I will most likely tan a rat or two, just so I'll have it. Now is the time for me to mount or tan things when I have more expendable income, since I will be going off to post secondary in the fall :cry:

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2015, 16:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

WCS wrote:
Having a real issue this year with the deer springing my sets. We are completely overwhelmed with the deer around here. I never had this kind of issue before. Any of you seasoned trappers have any advise on how to keep the deer out of the sets? Thanks

If you have not already, you might consider trying some step downs. Seems to help me when around deer.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2015, 16:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Westside wrote:
[L, you make those western MN yotes look so easy. If I send you my trapping hat, will you rub some of your magic on it and send it back?? Nice action on those mrats. I know those numbers are low for you but I'd be doing back flips down here if we had that many around. I did spot some huts earlier this year out west of me. Maybe I'll get a wisp of rat scent this coming Sunday...

I wish I had some magic......... I'm disappointed in the number I have so far. I expected to get more coyotes than the 6 I have. Again it has been raining for a couple days.
Traps are getting pulled tomorrow. Time to chase the Turdy Pointer! :--D If the weather is decent after that I will set out more traps.[/quote]
Westside, your doin a bang up job man!! Pretty dogs! :wink:

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 16:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Richard Murray wrote:
WCS wrote:

If you have not already, you might consider trying some step downs. Seems to help me when around deer.

Thanks, I will try some. They are more time consuming which I don't like but I don't like checking empty sprung traps eithe r lol

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 10:29 
Trapper
Trapper

Well I was able to get a couple traps and snares out on Thanksgiving morning. I'm glad i did.

Here is a nice coyote that wanted to walk where I just happen to have a snare...........

Here is a HUGE FAT raccoon. I'm not trapping any this year because of the market but just maybe this prime fatty will be able to sell.

I found a dead deer carcass in the woods so I hung a few snares around it and look who came to visit........Mr. Big Red.

I kind of like this snare stuff. I'm gonna have to hang more of them.

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 10:36 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Good looking critters ^^^ :D

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 18:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice action L!!! You're gathering up some nice long hair!! What size bodygripper is wrapped around the fattie's neck?? I think a 4-5X northern coon should have decent value although it might take a couple of seasons to sell. NAFA or FHA isn't going to let that much square inches go cheap!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 18:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Wow! Big ol coon! :D

Great job on the dogs too! Snaring is very addictive, thats for certain. My only complaint is, skinning cold animals isnt nearly as easy as hot ones. But hey.....hard ground, snow, and rain and ice.....I'll stick to snares thank you. Great work!

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 19:11 
Trapper
Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
Nice action L!!! You're gathering up some nice long hair!! What size bodygripper is wrapped around the fattie's neck?? I think a 4-5X northern coon should have decent value although it might take a couple of seasons to sell. NAFA or FHA isn't going to let that much square inches go cheap!!

That is a 220 he is wearing. His huge head darn near filled up the trap. I feel like I would be extremely lucky to get $15 to $20 for it.

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 20:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Westside wrote:
Well I was able to get a couple traps and snares out on Thanksgiving morning. I'm glad i did.

Here is a nice coyote that wanted to walk where I just happen to have a snare...........

Here is a HUGE FAT raccoon. I'm not trapping any this year because of the market but just maybe this prime fatty will be able to sell.

I found a dead deer carcass in the woods so I hung a few snares around it and look who came to visit........Mr. Big Red.

I kind of like this snare stuff. I'm gonna have to hang more of them.

Really dandy fox you got

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 20:54 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Good job ! all nice critters. 8)

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 18:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Westside, your doin a bang up job man! Keep it rollin buddy! 8)

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 20:32 

Awesome job guys!

I only trapped the week of Thanksgiving. It was very frustrating with no catches at all. Not even as much as a flipped trap but had a ball going out there. I pulled everything this past Sunday with the start of rifle buck season starting this past Monday.

I'll give her heck again in 2 weeks when bobcat and fisher season begins.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2015, 10:27 
Trapper
Trapper

I only have handful of snares out but I do have one spot along side a river that has produced a couple coyotes. It has been so warm out that we have no snow but of course it has rained as you can see the coyote is soaked but he did dry up well in front of a fan. We are suppose to get some winter weather in a couple days so it will be nice to see where the critters are running.

Since it has been warm out I managed to set couple MB550's. Picked up this nice Mr. Red this weekend. Thank god it was in a sandy area so I didn't have to deal with more mud.

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2015, 17:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Your doing good with what you have out. Shipped all the beaver, otter and mink today for the FHA sale in Jan. The long fur will go back to Nafa for the sale in April.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016, 09:56 
Trapper
Trapper

I still have those few snares out. There was a little activity last week.
I had this snare set in front of my dad's deer stand since Thanksgiving day. After a 5 week wait it finally hooked up. It was a nice pale male.

This fox thought he was going to snack on a deer rib cage but instead got a cable necklace. :D

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016, 23:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Patience is a virtue. Nice going and nice catches.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016, 18:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

L, I'm turning green down here!!! Nice job continuing to stack up those k-9s even if numbers per week are low. You have me fired up to really do some warm season scouting of snare choke points within some sort of workable commute that I could do next year after the deer season ends the first weekend of Dec. Even if I had to drive further every other day to check something like your river timber pinch point that has yielded multiples, it might be better to drive some extra miles to that area than spin my wheels in closer locations that have a lot less frequent use. You have me inspired!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016, 23:27 
Trapper
Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
L, I'm turning green down here!!! Nice job continuing to stack up those k-9s even if numbers per week are low. You have me fired up to really do some warm season scouting of snare choke points within some sort of workable commute that I could do next year after the deer season ends the first weekend of Dec. Even if I had to drive further every other day to check something like your river timber pinch point that has yielded multiples, it might be better to drive some extra miles to that area than spin my wheels in closer locations that have a lot less frequent use. You have me inspired!!

I was able to snare one coyote last year. I'm still VERY much learning how to snare. I guess it is more of learning where to snare rather than how to. It is just like getting spots to place footholds.....except you are looking for a totally different situation. It is nice that weather doesn't change the snare really. Just check it and move on. Very simple system. I just need a dozen more snaring spots and i would really be set.

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -