Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thick with the coyotes
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 07:57 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

So I have been gearing up for trapping season here in NW Arkansas and have been scouting heavily- and I've found a coyote den in a thick patch of brush in the corner of three fields. Last night leaving our ranch I drove by it and saw 8-10 coyotes under a tree between the brush and the road. My question is how do I trap for these coyotes so that I can take as many as possible? How close to set to the den, types of sets, lures/baits, etc.

Thanks all!

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 08:36 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Welcome to WAT Colton_Farley, good to see another Arkie on the site. I cannot help you on this matter and have never had the opportunity to see so many coyotes in a group. Sounds like you will have plenty of choices on taking coyotes in a high population like that. Best of luck and we do enjoy pictures on WAT.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 12:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Welcome. I ain't biting on this question.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 13:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Canines will stop using dens, for the most part, as the pups get some age on them and winter starts to move in. I have not had much luck trapping dens, except for skunks. Figure out where the food sources are and set the locations between hunting areas. Be sure to gang set. If the location is good for one set, it is good for at least two, probably more. I like to mix it up some by putting in a dirt hole, a flat set, urine post, and perhaps a double hole set, or any combination of sets. If you find a great location, don't be shy to put in six or more sets. If you only have one set and a skunk or grinner gets there first, it won't catch the fox or coyote that comes along later. Location is the most important thing you can learn in pursuit of furbearers, If your target doesn't travel by your sets, you aren't going to catch them. If snares are legal, learn to use them. Always set more than one or two snares in a location. I set snares in multiples of three, six, nine, or more. If I know there are three, six, or more, I don't forget how many are set at a location.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 15:36 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

remrogers, would a double hole set just be a dirt hole set with two holes near one another and the trap set between the two?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 17:58 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I can't give much advice on trapping yotes, but if that pack was close the road, a shotgun loaded with #2 shot or BB's woulda cleaned some of them out for you. :wink: :lol:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 19:17 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Colton_Farley wrote:
remrogers, would a double hole set just be a dirt hole set with two holes near one another and the trap set between the two?

That is about all ot is. Two small holes about ten to twelve inches apart with the trap set out about nine inches, centered between the two holes.