Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 02:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coyote Urine Question
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 20:06 
Trapper
Trapper

I have some coyote urine from last year and I am not sure if it's good. Stored in the basement most of the summer but it may have seen a couple of 90 degree days in the garage before I moved it. It has very very strong ammonia smell. Much more so than my fox urine. Is it still good, borderline, or a deterrent? Thanks - this is my boy and i's second year so we've never had to worry about old coyote urine before!!!

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2015, 20:25 
Trapper
Trapper

From what I have been told and read, as long as it doesn't smell spoiled (sewage smell) it's still good.

The odor of ammonia will dissipate after you put it where you want. I have some red fox urine that smells of ammonia and it still catches fox.

Use urine sparingly and also I'm waiting a few weeks to use urine at my sets. (Coyote anyway)

I read that urine should be used a week or two after your dirt holes have been in. So my dirt holes only have lure in them at this point (except for fox specific sets).

Anyway, that's what one author recommends, so I'm going to try it this year and see if it works.

He suggests making coyote sets without urine at first, and after 1 or 2 weeks make a flat set or scent post within 20 to 30 feet using urine.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2015, 12:53 
Trapper
Trapper

that makes perfect sense to me, I will try that. some at 1 week an some at 2 weeks
thank you

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 20:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Your aged coyote urine will work fine. I make dirtholes and apply urine when the set is first made. I don't use much, only a couple drops on the backing or on a small clump of grass etc.