Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 15:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Any action yet??
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 18:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

seems you have a bumper crop of yotes. Keep nailing them. That is one fur that should sell good again this year without to much resistance. Remember their looking for heavies.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 19:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hahahaha! Slam em L!!!! Doin' it right bro!

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 19:44 

Westside, you are putting down the hammer! I agree this wet weather is the absolute pits! I'm gonna run out of dry dirt before too long remaking sets. And there are something like 3 more systems coming our way :( I have picked up a couple more fox, but my beaver sets were all dead on the first check. That's disappointing.

PC I agree with everything you stated, and stated well. I have no idea what if the dnr is collecting data on wolves or not, nor could I care less. I feel ok about the wolves. Seems like so many others are on the extreme end, either kill em all or hug em all. Both pretty irresponsible and selfish. IMO the timber wolves of MN have always been here, and already have a balance going with the deer. Harsh back to back winters is what kills large numbers of deer, not so much wolves. Yes they have an impact, no doubt.....but it is overgeneralized for the timber wolves here. I do believe that the wolves introduced into the Western states are impacting game adversely, since FWS essentially introduced an invasive subspecies. After learning Wolf1199's perspective on wolves as a part of his trapline, I don't really get too bent out of shape over harvesting them or not. I'd rather catch fox!

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 16:13 
Trapper
Trapper

Well the weather has finally dried up and the critters seems to be moving finally!!!!
Got these 3 yesterday..............2 nice coyotes and a fox.

Got this one this morning. Back leg catch but I will take it.

I also got 32 muskrats yesterday and 27 this morning. I got a big coon caught on a muskrat house. The poor muskrat house was leveled. To bad I don't bring my phone out into the boat with me.

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 18:13 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

That's a good start Westside! Thanks for sharing the pictures. How much area do you trap to catch so many rats?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 18:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good start indeed :D . Keep at her before the weather changes. Getting jealous looking at that long fur pics.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 21:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I've picked up 3 rats so far, and a couple flying squirrels, should have about 30 of those before the season is over. I'm hoping to get more rat traps out tomorrow or Wednesday. I gotta pull out of this marsh on Saturday most likely when the other trapper shows up. Don't like having my rats and traps stolen! :shock:

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2015, 12:32 
Trapper
Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
That's a good start Westside! Thanks for sharing the pictures. How much area do you trap to catch so many rats?

I just trap this big slough and one other very small one. I used to have many great muskrat spots but the drought a few years ago took care of most of them. I used to aim for 400 muskrats but now i'm VERY lucky is I get 100. They are just not very plentiful. Water levels are still low around here. Not much rain all summer. We need alot of snow this winter to fill up the lakes and ponds.

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 21:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Coming back from church tonight, T and I saw a grinner contemplating suicide on the side of the road. Can't wait until next Tues. night when I start filling traps with those buggers. You guys north of the "possum line" enjoy!!

L, you make those western MN yotes look so easy. If I send you my trapping hat, will you rub some of your magic on it and send it back?? Nice action on those mrats. I know those numbers are low for you but I'd be doing back flips down here if we had that many around. I did spot some huts earlier this year out west of me. Maybe I'll get a wisp of rat scent this coming Sunday...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 09:20 
Trapper
Trapper

[L, you make those western MN yotes look so easy. If I send you my trapping hat, will you rub some of your magic on it and send it back?? Nice action on those mrats. I know those numbers are low for you but I'd be doing back flips down here if we had that many around. I did spot some huts earlier this year out west of me. Maybe I'll get a wisp of rat scent this coming Sunday...[/quote]

I wish I had some magic......... I'm disappointed in the number I have so far. I expected to get more coyotes than the 6 I have. Again it has been raining for a couple days.
Traps are getting pulled tomorrow. Time to chase the Turdy Pointer! :--D If the weather is decent after that I will set out more traps.

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 08:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Westside- Have you checked out "Minnesota opener" over on Tman?? Some of those guys are pulling in piles of rats. But looking at those piles, my fun would quickly just turn into a grind because I'm not an overly quick rat skinner. I'll keep the day job to make $2-3 grand in the fall...

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 21:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I picked up 4 rats and a mink yesterday, then got 2 more rats today. Not getting rich quick. but am consistent

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 23:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

LHB- Have you talked to any local buyers on what they're offering for rats?? I've been reading a "Minnesota Opener" thread over on Tman and guys are putting up big numbers but they're talking about .75-$1.50 a piece. I suppose that's in the round. The market can't really be that bad for mrats can it (somewhere +/- $2 at auction??)?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 04:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Muskrat – the low mink prices, especially in commercial goods, will mostly like have an effect on the price of muskrat. Small sizes and low grades will have no value and should not be shipped.

The above was a report from Nafa

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 07:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We have no local buyers here that I know of

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 16:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wolf- I know the wild mink market is way down but thought the mrat prices also tracked with ranch mink and I thought they were still doing decent. I still got $6 for my 1 measly rat at the NAFA March/April sale but know that the prices had softened by the June/July. Are your guys telling you probably $2 average for rats for the 2016 auctions??-

Anyway, I have some steel soaking for a day (long story) and maybe will have a handful tomorrow when I have to go get some trapping supplies. By the way, "charleyhorses" (involuntary extreme tightening of leg muscles) suck after trudging through some sloughs. First time I had inner thigh ones. Lovely. Maybe too old and out of shape to wear and use chest waders anymore...

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 18:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
wolf- I know the wild mink market is way down but thought the mrat prices also tracked with ranch mink and I thought they were still doing decent. I still got $6 for my 1 measly rat at the NAFA March/April sale but know that the prices had softened by the June/July. Are your guys telling you probably $2 average for rats for the 2016 auctions??-

Anyway, I have some steel soaking for a day (long story) and maybe will have a handful tomorrow when I have to go get some trapping supplies. By the way, "charleyhorses" (involuntary extreme tightening of leg muscles) suck after trudging through some sloughs. First time I had inner thigh ones. Lovely. Maybe too old and out of shape to wear and use chest waders anymore...

Ranch mink took a big nose dive couple weeks ago in the Europe sales. Many ranch farmers are selling mink well below what it cost them to produce. Good for us but bad for them. Never heard anything about 2 dollar rats. But they are saying for all fur only send the larger better quality fur and no damage ones if you want to have any chance on selling your furs.

Maybe too old and out of shape to wear and use chest waders anymore...[/quote]

You have some young strapping boys that are close at hand, start to use them, then after awhile all you have to do is drive and point :) TT is in that mode now I think.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 19:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The problem is, my cages don't discriminate between big rats and small rats. I'm not gonna kill the rat and just throw it away because its too small. I'm sending them all in. I killed it, so I'm at least going to try and make sure it gets used. Yeah, I'd love to only catch big monster rats, but the reality is I won't

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 20:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

longhairboy wrote:
The problem is, my cages don't discriminate between big rats and small rats. I'm not gonna kill the rat and just throw it away because its too small. I'm sending them all in. I killed it, so I'm at least going to try and make sure it gets used. Yeah, I'd love to only catch big monster rats, but the reality is I won't

LHB we all face that dilemma this year and there is nothing that you or I can do about it. Fact
is that is what the auction houses are saying. Take your chances or come up with some other method of selling your poor quality fur. Both auction houses will be getting rid of poor quality fur that has been held over for years that they cannot sell this year. If you suspect you have bad pelts why bother to send, it will only cost you out of your pocket book plus the auction house and you will be billed even if your furs do not sell. I know your new at the game but one has to consider all the facts. Whether you keep the fur at home or send it in and it does not sell what have you lost. Not trying to discourage you from your thoughts as they are good but reality is what it is.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 20:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

LHB- Wolf is right, there are more options to do something with your kit or damaged rats than just trying to have the auction houses sell them or selling to a country buyer (if you had them). If you ever thought about home tanning, this may be the year for some of your stuff. You have a sweet gf, make her some mrat ear muffs (the only fur piece I have ever bought the wifey was pair of mink ear muffs on sale at the fur store after Christmas). Or tan them up and sell to someone in Canada on ebay for crafts or whatever. The tanning part of home tanning is the easy part, the tougher part is "breaking" that leather at just the right time. I know you're a creative, talented guy, try some new things out with some of your smaller, damaged, or lower quality fur. Good luck!!

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 10:52 
Trapper
Trapper

Did I ever mention I hate the rain during trapping season?????????? It dried up for a couple of days and we were suppose to get some rain last Thursday. Ok, fine. One days some rain won't kill me. Well Mr. Weatherman was wrong!!!! I woke up Wednesday to rain............all day rain. They were right about Thursday though. It did rain, allll day. Oh, and Friday? Yup, rained!!!!!
Here was the one critter I got since last Monday. A nice fox. A dirty wet fox but he cleaned up well. I got it Friday as I was pulling up traps because our deer hunting started Saturday. I really liked standing in the rain with 3 pounds of mud on each foot trying to peel of the mud off the trap so I could open to get the fox out. There is actually a MB 550 underneath that ball of earth.
Did I mention yet that I REALLY dislike the rain during trapping???? :cry: :--( :--o :wink: 8) If the weather holds out I will put some traps back in the ground next week.
Ok, my b#tching about the rain is over now. :D

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 16:22 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Dang, that looks like you were down here in east TX with all that gumbo mud. Nothing like a mud ball with a trap inside!

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 18:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Westside wrote:
Did I ever mention I hate the rain during trapping season?????????? It dried up for a couple of days and we were suppose to get some rain last Thursday. Ok, fine. One days some rain won't kill me. Well Mr. Weatherman was wrong!!!! I woke up Wednesday to rain............all day rain. They were right about Thursday though. It did rain, allll day. Oh, and Friday? Yup, rained!!!!!
Here was the one critter I got since last Monday. A nice fox. A dirty wet fox but he cleaned up well. I got it Friday as I was pulling up traps because our deer hunting started Saturday. I really liked standing in the rain with 3 pounds of mud on each foot trying to peel of the mud off the trap so I could open to get the fox out. There is actually a MB 550 underneath that ball of earth.
Did I mention yet that I REALLY dislike the rain during trapping???? :cry: :--( :--o :wink: 8) If the weather holds out I will put some traps back in the ground next week.
Ok, my b#tching about the rain is over now. :D

I hear you on wet conditions. Still have not set one set for ground animals till the weather stays below freezing. This year has been up and down with the temps. Leg holds would be no problem this time of year cause the animal would still be alive. Killer traps and snares do not work well in up and down weather. So I sit at home waiting.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2015, 16:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Having a real issue this year with the deer springing my sets. We are completely overwhelmed with the deer around here. I never had this kind of issue before. Any of you seasoned trappers have any advise on how to keep the deer out of the sets? Thanks

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2015, 20:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

WCS wrote:
Having a real issue this year with the deer springing my sets. We are completely overwhelmed with the deer around here. I never had this kind of issue before. Any of you seasoned trappers have any advise on how to keep the deer out of the sets? Thanks

Deep freeze helps out a lot