Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 01:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any action yet??
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2015, 21:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Are any of the CAN providences open for trapping? I thought several of the states opened up around Oct. 15. Anybody have any sets out? Maybe starting to feel a bit like the season around here. I had a killing frost on Weds. morn (wasn't really expected for the bigger town next door to me) and tonight will probably be a hard freeze. It will be at least another 3 weeks before I set any steel out...

Genesis 1:26

Post subject: Re: Any action yet??
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2015, 22:08 
Trapper
Trapper

The last couple evenings I have been getting a tour by new land owners of some areas where they have coyote issues. I guess seeing coyotes and no deer has frustrated some people. 8) I have alot of new land to trap coyotes on this year. Now all I need is more time in the day. The season in northern MN starts tomorrow. I'm about 30 miles south of the border so I have to wait until next weekend to plant some steel. Exciting times!! :--D :lol:

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 07:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The boys have started last week for their beaver and should have their quota by tomorrow. I set up 2 houses last Wednesday and picked up 3. Will start my push on beaver this up coming week. Past 2 days the temps have been -5 over night with highs of 4. Our beaver , otter , mink and muskrat opened oct 5th. Land animals open October 25th.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 08:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thats crazy for me to read about y'all having below freezing temps, and already starting to trap when our daytime highs are still well into the 90's, and so far our coolest night has been 50. It will probably be another two months before I get to do anything...it sucks.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 09:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

It ends up being some basic physical geography/earth science. Wolf lives approximately 1,200 miles closer to the north pole than where metro Dallas is located or metro Dallas is another 1,200 miles closer to the equator than wolf. So, during summer in the northern hemisphere, metro Dallas is generally warmer than Dryden and as the northern hemisphere gets further away from the sun during the fall and winter (reaching its furthest point during winter solstice), Dryden gets colder and stays colder than metro Dallas. It's kind of like going up a mountain. For every certain distance in latitude difference (see link) its a certain change in elevation. If you want more cool and cold weather, you could always move north :--) !!

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... n%20change

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2015, 18:41 
Trapper
Trapper

season opens up next sunday in Pa., I walk,t a couple of my lines saturday
then I went to check out a place (70acres) I just got thr run of the place this year
an old rundown farm, lit me tell ya it,s full of fur, from what could tell. Thats my action so far

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 12:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Season opened today for land critters. It was strange not making any coon sets. I decided to wait another month to catch any coon. With the price and current market I could not justify going full throttle at them this early. So I set my favorite spots for yotes and fox and was done early. First check in the am tomorrow.

I tried something different and used some half muskrat carcasses down the hole. I have only ever used commercial baits before so I'm interested to see my results.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 17:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

ever try bacon grease down the hole?

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 18:51 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

The 2 best coon baits ever created are sardines and bacon grease. Can't believe people pay big money for coon bait and lure just cause some big time trapper says he has the "secret weapon " for coon. :roll: :roll:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 19:31 

So far I have caught 4 yotes, two fox, 4-5 skunks, and a timberwolf. And one trap thief who couldn't pull my fox hollow out with their wheeler! Loser ruined my trap, but it was only a little vic 1.5. Also gained a farm close by my house. I set that tonight, got 6 sets put out. The property owner has about 120 acres and has reported multiple instances of fox, cats, and yotes. I'm pretty excited about it! Here's some pics.....

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 19:36 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Way to go Al !! Did you get to keep the wolf or have to turn it loose ?

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 20:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good going Al . :D

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 07:33 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

You sure got a run of good luck going so far....and not even any snow! Maybe you were meant to be a southern trapper.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 14:10 
Trapper
Trapper

I don't have any wolf catches to report but I did get this nice coyote yesterday morning. Our season just started Saturday.

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 14:40 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Yessir, that is a good one to start with.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 16:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I like the colour on that one. Your off to a good start.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 17:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice catches fellas. First check today yielded only one small grinner and one snapped trap that a deer caused. Tomorrow is another day.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 18:04 
Trapper
Trapper

WCS wrote:
Season opened today for land critters. It was strange not making any coon sets. I decided to wait another month to catch any coon. With the price and current market I could not justify going full throttle at them this early. So I set my favorite spots for yotes and fox and was done early. First check in the am tomorrow.

I tried something different and used some half muskrat carcasses down the hole. I have only ever used commercial baits before so I'm interested to see my results.

half of a muskrat is a fine bait

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2015, 00:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Westside- What type of set did you catch your yoder on? I waxed leg holds on Sunday evening. I'll believe it that I've caught a coyote in one when its laying dead on the ground with its foot still inside the jaws. We 'll see...

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2015, 16:10 
Trapper
Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
Westside- What type of set did you catch your yoder on? I waxed leg holds on Sunday evening. I'll believe it that I've caught a coyote in one when its laying dead on the ground with its foot still inside the jaws. We 'll see...

It was a simple dirthole set(with a couple chicken feathers for eye appeal) on the edge of tall grass and worked bean stubble field where there is a driving path connecting 2 fields. Kind of a funnel situation. I use mostly MB550's, holds perfectly every time.

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 10:34 
Trapper
Trapper

It sure is miserable out there. Raining, snowing and mud is all I know today! :(
I did manage to get this fox. They don't look nearly as fluffy when they are wet.

I also got a nice big boar coon in a coyote trap. I'm not trapping for any but up here in MN they have decent fur already. You can see the mud piled up on my 4 wheeler. Fun times. :cry:

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 16:46 

Great pictures!

Our season opened here this past Sunday but I'm waiting another couple of weeks to let the pelts prime up.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2015, 12:45 
Trapper
Trapper

Got another one. It has been sooooo rainy and windy....and some snow. Managed to pick up another coyote this morning. He wasn't very happy and didn't want to be there. I didn't blame him. It wasn't nice out.

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2015, 19:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Looks like some washing to be had of those hides :) L, post some pixs of yoders when they're on the board.

tAl- I know the wolf season is closed again but is the state still taking catch and release data from trappers when you get one?? Unfortunately, unless the clueless DC circuit judge's ruling overturned, supposedly the wolf has to return to its entire historical range before the Lake States get a chance again for a season. The biologists in the USFWS really dislike this ruling because its basically undermines the ESA by setting the bar so high in a species recovery. This judge thinks she (I believe it was a she) is saving wildlife but in the end may help eliminate other non-wolf E&T species because the ESA becomes even more of a hot-potato political issue. The ESA is not in the Bill of Rights so its a law like all others and can be modified or eliminated, although it would have be under the right political circumstances. But why cause a fight when a fight doesn't have to be done?? The wolf in parts of the lower 48 is a recovery "success" story, let the states manage them...

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 15:26 
Trapper
Trapper

Got another one today. Finally stopped raining last night. This one will require some clean up work also.... I would have taken a pic alive while in the trap but forgot to bring my phone out there.

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -