PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 14:01 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61d7Wxxj0Mk

Post subject: Re: Trapping videos
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2015, 07:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Interesting to watch. Probably not a lot of dps going to be set this year. I know I won't set any until deep winter to help some farmers keep their coon numbers down. In Nov., no...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2015, 23:20 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Yes, unfortunately raccoon prices are down. I wont be trapping for them till halfway through our three month season here in Illinois.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2015, 08:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Do you sell to a country buyer or to Groenwald's or do you send to auction? The reason I ask is do you know what "region" most of coon of your fall into for grading? Knowing that, you might stand a better chance of knowing if your hides will sell this year or not. I never had a country buyer tell me what region my coons were from and don't know if Groenwald pick up guys do or not. NAFA's and Fur Harvesters' coon regions aren't titled the same but a guy can cross-walk them pretty easily.

http://www.nafa.ca/trapper/Resources/Te ... accoon.pdf

From the map, it looks like most of IL has regions for coons that HAVE been more in demand than say the ones further east and south BUT that last NAFA auction very little of ANY region sold for what the price NAFA thought they should go for. Most of my coon fall into "Western North Central" and then "Western Northern" and a very few in "Western Semi-Heavy" and I sold about 40% of what I sent for the 2015 auctions. I haven't heard anything really (so far) that would change the situation in 2016 (the Russians coming back to the auctions or the Chinese wanting to buy at NAFA's prices).

Yeah, don't go early at all and skin out the bigger, nicer ones, roll them up and put them in the freezer. If you send to auction, send a few to the first one if you're ready so you can test things out. If nothing else, those hides will end up in the auction fur jail awaiting disposition. If you have other means for the coons; home tanned hide selling, marketing the cleaned up skulls and teeth, you're going a eat a lot of them, or if you just want to rid your area of excess masked bandits for other wildlife benefits (I like more pheasants around here so I have no problem taking out the plentiful nest robbers), go for it. But probably don't expect to sell many, especially to country buyers unless really dirt cheap...

Genesis 1:26