Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 02:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: possums
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2015, 13:03 
Trapper
Trapper

Does anyone take the time in Texas to flesh and board a possum? I remember about 35 years ago, skinning them and getting a dollar apiece for them green, but for what they bring, I don't see any profit for boarding them.

Post subject: Re: possums
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2015, 14:37 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

It would have to be a very large and special possum for me to skin it.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2015, 15:54 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I'm not in Texas but I do skin and tan the larger ones I get. The rest go in the compost pile.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2015, 19:29 
Trapper
Trapper

Stinking possums. they must run afoul of skunks alot. A lot of them I use to catch, when I was after coon and fox, smiled like skunk.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2015, 19:39 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Chick wrote:
Stinking possums. they must run afoul of skunks alot. A lot of them I use to catch, when I was after coon and fox, smiled like skunk.

I think they stink because of what /how they eat. We call them " butthole babies " for a reason . :shock: :shock:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2015, 00:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep doc.. Ive kicked dead bovine and seen more then one slicktail stumble out.. They pick the path of least resistant into a critter. If i killem i skin'em but most dont go to the fur market. Theres a small demand for a few tanned ones. They make passable gloves too.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2015, 08:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I send all my grinners to auction with the exception of the very early caught. The October grinners seem to have no leather lol.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2015, 09:08 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey Doc, what part of WV are you from?

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2015, 09:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I think its a bit humorus to hear folks opinions and takes on opossums. They do eat some repulsive things, but so do canids and imparticularly coyotes. Dead larger animals often get opened up at the "easy" end, but possums dont have that ability in the first place....coyotes do though. Possums just take advantage of what the yotes work on. Lots of carnivore/omnivore cherish entrails/inner organs and are always the first things to go. Possums smell? Yes they have an odor, and some more some less. But have we not grown to expect the stench of mink, skunk, badger, weasel, beaver, coyote, or fox... to name a few? One of the most hideous putrifying smells in the animal world for me is coyotes, and have great info that says wolves are much worse yet. I think what it boils down to is if we have an accepting and open mind about a critter, like possums. I admit they arent my fav, but I have had many miles put on my trucks on the line thanks to the fuel that untold amounts of grinners have put there. Most seasons for mature grinners I can average $3 easily on them and they take me 10 minutes of work on average. So for even just 5 animals an hour im making $15 bucks an hour in the fur shed for them "nasty" lil critters. I know other cost and deductions come into play, but so do many other higher priced fur items that we actually are targetting when we get grinners in our traps. Im also aware that some regions have much better luck price wise on them then others, and Texas possums are probably not worth putting up on average.....but that doesnt make em worthless critters for everyone and certainly dont make them more vile then another creature that has very close habits. Dumb...unarguably, ugly..yes to some, vile...maybe but no more then any other number of critters, worthless...not in most trapping areas, you just need to excersise a small amount of knowlege of what the buyers will buy. Dont get me wrong, id much rather have a nice red in the trap, but we can make possums pay for us if the regional fur quality allows us to........ Ever thought how much money 1,000 possums might bring at $3 each? The number of animals are there and super easy to catch. One of these good winters, im going to target nothing but grinners and see just how many I can catch after they are well primed. Im betting the sheer numbers and easy working will make for a nice pay check.....i can endure the smell, i do on every other critter. Just how i see it. :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2015, 11:39 
Trapper
Trapper

I use to think the same thing. Got tired of fooling with them, for low returns. I would spend 15 minutes putting a fox set in, and come back to find a darn possum in it. I would skin them on the spot and sell them green. They stayed on my bad list, for messing up my fox sets.