Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 03:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 11:45 
Trapper
Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
ArkieFur wrote:

Now, just how did that camp get named Winky???????

My eldest son's nickname is "Winky"...that is a story to itself...and he is a carpenter and has done most of the work on putting the building together, so to show my appreciation for all his help I named it Camp Winky. It might not look like much to the average eye, but it keeps me dry and warm. ;--)

Looks like a good camp to me. I need to put me up something similar on my place west of Ashdown. Thought about an old camper, but I freeze to death in one of those things!! I want a wood heater in one.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 11:55 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

ArkieFur wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:
ArkieFur wrote:

Now, just how did that camp get named Winky???????

My eldest son's nickname is "Winky"...that is a story to itself...and he is a carpenter and has done most of the work on putting the building together, so to show my appreciation for all his help I named it Camp Winky. It might not look like much to the average eye, but it keeps me dry and warm. ;--)

Looks like a good camp to me. I need to put me up something similar on my place west of Ashdown. Thought about an old camper, but I freeze to death in one of those things!! I want a wood heater in one.

ArkieFur, I'd thought about a wood heater but with so little extra space in the camp I went with a 3 burner propane cooktop out of a popup camper. My tank is outside and is piped into the cabin. Those 3 burners can warm the place up in no time. Makes it good for drying hides too.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2015, 06:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

looks like a blast swamp...can't believe you got otters and snappers back at your place ...what wasn't 2 years ago there was not a drop of water in that creek?

Check out my you tube page!!! alot of the stuff i learned on here i have made video's of them ..... http://www.youtube.com/user/ski31989?feature=mhee

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2015, 08:19 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

ski3879 wrote:
looks like a blast swamp...can't believe you got otters and snappers back at your place ...what wasn't 2 years ago there was not a drop of water in that creek?

You have a good memory Ski. :wink:

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2015, 05:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

its camp winky! no one can forget your stories about camp winky lol :mrgreen:

Check out my you tube page!!! alot of the stuff i learned on here i have made video's of them ..... http://www.youtube.com/user/ski31989?feature=mhee

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2015, 17:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Camp Winky from space

Here are a couple images from last Nov. 24 (2014) showing the Camp Winky area from "our" main satellite. I like to look at things in false color with near infrared leading so everything you see as "red" is actually green. Most of the area is forested with the pines being the brighest red at this time of year and the hardwoods that drop their leaves are probably starting to lose color at this time so they are a duller red tp deep pink. Almost all the light reflects back from areas with lots of soil showing through or bare areas (this area has high amounts of sand so even more reflectiveness) shows up mostly whiteish in these crappy jpegs. Farm fields are either bright or a light pink. Clear cut areas can show up bright to grayish-tan depending on how much grassy type veg or baby trees are in it.

The first image is the central Neches River valley. Sand bars can be seen in the river loops of the river. Off to the sides, especially the left side, are old terraces of the river that include cut-off oxbows. Some of these probably hold enough water, off and on, to be considered swamps. The immediate Camp Winky area is located in one of these terrance areas between a couple of the old oxbows.

Zooming in quite a bit, the image becomes pixelated because of the resolution of the pixels (30 meters across) and I don't have many pixels to work with in the image so things get somewhat fuzzy. The actual location of Swamp's place is about half way between the bright oval area (looks like a pine forestry industrial tree nursery on Google Earth) and the swamp oxbow to the lower right. The gray triangler field up against the bright area is a old clear cut with baby pines on GE but at 30 meters the satellite is sensing mostly the dried grassy veg on it. The gravel/dirt roads/trails seen in GE are narrow enough that at this low resolution they pretty much disappear as a straight line but show up as a few lighter colored pixels.

Sorry I can't get an image from Jan. when Swamp was down there, the amount of leaf cover on the hardwoods might be less (don't know how many live oaks are around there and how much they actually lose their leaves). The pines would still show up red. And no I can't watch Swamp skinning out his critters and boarding them, although I could probably learn some things if I could ;--)

P.S. When the subset image was converted to a jpeg it just didn't have many pixels to get much larger without losing what can be seen. Sorry its so small...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2015, 22:30 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

NonPCfed wrote:
Camp Winky from space

Here are a couple images from last Nov. 24 (2014) showing the Camp Winky area from "our" main satellite. I like to look at things in false color with near infrared leading so everything you see as "red" is actually green. Most of the area is forested with the pines being the brighest red at this time of year and the hardwoods that drop their leaves are probably starting to lose color at this time so they are a duller red tp deep pink. Almost all the light reflects back from areas with lots of soil showing through or bare areas (this area has high amounts of sand so even more reflectiveness) shows up mostly whiteish in these crappy jpegs. Farm fields are either bright or a light pink. Clear cut areas can show up bright to grayish-tan depending on how much grassy type veg or baby trees are in it.

The first image is the central Neches River valley. Sand bars can be seen in the river loops of the river. Off to the sides, especially the left side, are old terraces of the river that include cut-off oxbows. Some of these probably hold enough water, off and on, to be considered swamps. The immediate Camp Winky area is located in one of these terrance areas between a couple of the old oxbows.

Zooming in quite a bit, the image becomes pixelated because of the resolution of the pixels (30 meters across) and I don't have many pixels to work with in the image so things get somewhat fuzzy. The actual location of Swamp's place is about half way between the bright oval area (looks like a pine forestry industrial tree nursery on Google Earth) and the swamp oxbow to the lower right. The gray triangler field up against the bright area is a old clear cut with baby pines on GE but at 30 meters the satellite is sensing mostly the dried grassy veg on it. The gravel/dirt roads/trails seen in GE are narrow enough that at this low resolution they pretty much disappear as a straight line but show up as a few lighter colored pixels.

Sorry I can't get an image from Jan. when Swamp was down there, the amount of leaf cover on the hardwoods might be less (don't know how many live oaks are around there and how much they actually lose their leaves). The pines would still show up red. And no I can't watch Swamp skinning out his critters and boarding them, although I could probably learn some things if I could ;--)

P.S. When the subset image was converted to a jpeg it just didn't have many pixels to get much larger without losing what can be seen. Sorry its so small...

Thanks NonPC, the best I can tell from all the "reverse" colors, Camp Winky should be about where the circle is.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2015, 15:32 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Looks like you had alot of fun Swamp Rat! Do you trap at any other places around southeast Tx?

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2015, 18:20 
Trapper
Trapper

Where is Camp Winky? Nice catch!

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2015, 21:02 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Cjhollyfield wrote:
Looks like you had alot of fun Swamp Rat! Do you trap at any other places around southeast Tx?

Welcome to WAT Cjhollyfield...you any kin to the Hardin & Tyler county Hollyfields? Before all the land was leased and fenced for hunting leases I trapped from the county line almost to Warren and back to Fred and into the river bottoms where Camp Winky is located. Actually Camp Winky is one lease off the actual river bottoms in Tyler county.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2015, 21:10 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Yes sir I am. I live down the road from C.C. Gore. He is a good trapping friend/mentor of mine. I trap from Fred to Lumberton.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2015, 22:25 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Cjhollyfield wrote:
Yes sir I am. I live down the road from C.C. Gore. He is a good trapping friend/mentor of mine. I trap from Fred to Lumberton.

I am quite familiar with the Old Spurger Hwy, I lived a few years at one of the company houses at the Brooks Field Gas Plant. I am also friends with Charles Cecil. Heck, I was married to a Gore for almost 20 years! :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2015, 14:36 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Well I be. Yea, He is the one who told me about this forum.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2015, 15:37 
Trapper
Trapper

We use to travel through Spurger and Fred, on the way to our place in Colmesneil. My wife lived in Spurger, on the Neches River, for several years.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2015, 17:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Heck, I was married to a Gore for almost 20 years! :roll: :wink:

That was not Al gore I hope :P

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2015, 21:26 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wolf1199 wrote:
Heck, I was married to a Gore for almost 20 years! :roll: :wink:

That was not Al gore I hope :P

:evil: NO!

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2015, 09:27 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Chick wrote:
We use to travel through Spurger and Fred, on the way to our place in Colmesneil. My wife lived in Spurger, on the Neches River, for several years.

I know a Missy Purvis (used to be Watters) from Colmesneil. Her Dad Monty just turned 90. Missy's husband Shawn was working the pipeline crew up here a few years ago and we got to know them quite well. Still keep in touch through Facebook.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2015, 14:26 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

TrapperKD wrote:
Chick wrote:

I know a Missy Purvis (used to be Watters) from Colmesneil. Her Dad Monty just turned 90. Missy's husband Shawn was working the pipeline crew up here a few years ago and we got to know them quite well. Still keep in touch through Facebook.

Small world, I travel through Comesneil quite often, especially when I go to and from Camp Winky. I don't know them, but in that area are families that are Walters and Waters, I haven't seen the ones named Watters. How do you happen to know folks this far south? Heck, you even sent a picture of a friend of yours eating at one of our local Mexican restaurants!

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2015, 19:20 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Swamp Rat wrote:
TrapperKD wrote:
Chick wrote:

Small world, I travel through Comesneil quite often, especially when I go to and from Camp Winky. I don't know them, but in that area are families that are Walters and Waters, I haven't seen the ones named Watters. How do you happen to know folks this far south? Heck, you even sent a picture of a friend of yours eating at one of our local Mexican restaurants!

Yeah, the last name is Watters and that was the people in that picture I shared with you. That was her Dad Monty. Missy and her husband Shawn were up here for quite a while when they were building the pipeline through Wisconsin a few years ago.