Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 18:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 21:48 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey guys just have a question about mink. I just got back from being in Arkansas for the past month and I am hoping to catch a few more rats and mink before the season closes on the 8th. I went and scouted a creek today that stays pretty much open, despite the frigid temps we have had here in WI. While scouting I noticed that the shelf ice on each side of the creek had mink tracks running up and down. My question is how can I set a trap here to catch them? Unfortunately I didn't bring my phone or camera so I have no pictures, but basically there is a 2 foot wide ice shelf running the entire length of the creek. There is maybe an inch of snow on top of the ice. I followed the creek for over 2 miles today and never found a spot where the animals were climbing in/out of the water. So basically they are just using the ice as a critter highway. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Joey

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 22:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I think Happy Trapper had the same issue last year. Wasbackwoodsman as probably had numerous such situations as well. You could try pm-ing them and see what they suggest.

If the ice can take a little weight and you can reach it, I'd try to bring down some lighter snow if possible and built a snow ridge across the ice perpendicular to the way the ice is running. Carve a "tunnel" through it where the tracks are the heaviest and place a bodygripper like a 120 to block the path and cover up the springs to make a blind set. I attach my 110s or 120s to a 30 inch piece of 2x2 as a drag (I double up my wire so its multi-strand). I've never had mink go much more than about 10 feet after hitting a 110 or 120. If it falls off into the open water, the 2x2 should float up enough to be seen and retrieved. Sort of a long shot but its better than just at the tracks and wishing :wink: :)

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 08:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Any holes or or overhanging roots will invite the mink to go in and look for females this time of year. Set a coni in front of those. You can also block the shelf ice with brush and force the mink to travel against the bank. Place a coni there or a foothold. More then likely the mink will stay on the ice or at the least you have a 50 50 chance at him. Make multiple sets and you you connect. Good luck

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 08:17 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Any holes or or overhanging roots will invite the mink to go in and look for females this time of year. Set a coni in front of those. You can also block the shelf ice with brush and force the mink to travel against the bank. Place a coni there or a foothold. More then likely the mink will stay on the ice or at the least you have a 50 50 chance at him. Make multiple sets and you you connect. Good luck

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 13:48 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for the advice, I'm heading out in a few minutes to give those ideas a try. Never even thought about taking some brush and forcing them towards the bank, it's amazing how a different perspective can help so much. Thanks guys I'll try and remember to take some photos of my sets.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2015, 14:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sounds like youve got a lot of great advice. Just remember mink love holes. Any within a few feet of the ice should hold some draw to them. Just make sure the only way in is over your foothold or thru your coni.. They will get thru the smallest spot in your set sometimes. A few baited box cubbies may be helpful too. Fresh bait and a good gland mink lure is what id use. If its just a singłe set of prints its probably a boar out hunting for food and/or a in heat sow. It may be awhile before he comes back thru. If he finds a sow thats ready he may not come back thru even longer or not at all. But another boar may come thru his little highway. If all else fails a water set may entice him with a promise of an easy meal or his curiosity.. Sometimes if the mink thinks he can stay dry hes more apt to check a "water" set. Bait/ lure in a wad of grass on a rock/log etc about 1 1/2 feet or so out with another rock inbetween with a foothold works. So does jamming a log up to the bank/ice and baiting/luring it a few feet out. If you can find a long with a little curve so you can put the trap in the bend so its barely underwater or just setting a coni between the bait and the bank. Id use a 160 etc because a coon may check it out also. Good luck