Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 10:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trapping Presentation
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 14:07 
Trapper
Trapper

Hi Everyone,
I have been given the honor of doing a trapping presentation to the area Cub Scouts. The group will be 8 and 9 year olds. I'm looking for advice on what exactly to show the little guys? I know Wolf and some other have done things like this before so I'm hoping for a couple of pointers from people. Things I should and shouldn't talk about? I'm going to go over things like, coyote trapping - dirtholes and snares and where to locate them along with the traps, maskrats - open water and winter trapping, mink - pocket sets and mink behaviors, fox, various raccoon sets and situations, beaver through the ice and open water with various sets, leaning pole for fisher, some otter sets, weasel box. Anything else i'm missing?

Thanks for any input or wisdom you can share with me.
Lonnie

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 14:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Do you have any tanned or at least dried pelts to bring? I know kids live to get hands on with stuff. You can show the boys the different types of knives that you use and fleshers. Boys love knives as well. Any fur hats cloths ect...........

Good for you getting out there and teaching our youth about our great sport.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 15:14 
Trapper
Trapper

WCS wrote:
Do you have any tanned or at least dried pelts to bring? I know kids live to get hands on with stuff. You can show the boys the different types of knives that you use and fleshers. Boys love knives as well. Any fur hats cloths ect...........

Good for you getting out there and teaching our youth about our great sport.

No, i don't have any tanned items for the kids to see. I do have a couple whole muskrats and mink that I can show. I contacted another area trapper to see if he had any whole or finished critters I could borrow, we shall see.

Yes, knives...........good idea. I will bring them all.

Thanks for the help!

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 16:11 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Check with a local taxidermist to see of they have any pelts you could borrow.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 16:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sounds like you got things covered beside a fur kit. One thing that we always mention to the kids is that trapping standards have changed as well as trap type and designs. We also mention the two fur houses and the great numbers of wild fur that go through them every year and how much trapping is still a vital necessity today to control species. Have a good one and take some pics.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 19:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Check with your fish and game department. Ours has "educational" boxes you can borrow. There are a couple different types here. But one is Fur bearer and has most of the pelts already tanned and ready to go. Don't forget to put your hand in a trap. I usually do 1.5 coil. But that makes a big impression. Also something stinky lol. Which means about any k9 lure.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 20:12 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Woodswalker wrote:
Check with your fish and game department. Ours has "educational" boxes you can borrow. There are a couple different types here. But one is Fur bearer and has most of the pelts already tanned and ready to go. Don't forget to put your hand in a trap. I usually do 1.5 coil. But that makes a big impression. Also something stinky lol. Which means about any k9 lure.

Ditto WW, I know I have given hides to our local Biologist for such purposes as this. If I could suggest one thing Westside, it would be to not overload the youngsters with too much info at one session.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 21:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
Woodswalker wrote:

Ditto WW, I know I have given hides to our local Biologist for such purposes as this. If I could suggest one thing Westside, it would be to not overload the youngsters with too much info at one session.

Yep, its more important to create a positive memory than actual info. They may not remember a thing you said. but if they remember having fun you will get a positive emotion when they think of trapping in general.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2015, 00:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

L- After dealing with Cub Scouts and that age boys for the last 9 years, my advice is to just keep it simple. They are never going to have the attention span to take in lots of detail about sets and such. If you can get some tanned fur demo pieces great! If not, go with some different types of traps, where and how they are used, and some nice pictures of the animals you catch. And be ready for about 100 "but what if ..." type of questions. Good luck and post some pixs if possible. I take it one of the young guys is probably yours :wink: !!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2015, 01:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

WW and Swamp said it before i could. Our DNR has "loaner" boxes of pelts and basic stuff. One thing ive found is games blended in help. When my Godsons den asked me to speak there the leaders and parents and i came up with games to play. They threw ping pong and wiggle balls at little no.0's etc. we played trapline bingo where the cards just had critters names on top and the "numbers" were biological information like skunk, two long white stripes etc etc. we gave out small prizes for the "winners"(everyone got something). Local pizza joint donated 8 free pizzas and drinks then kicked in free pizza coupons and % off coupons for prizes for the kids and their parents. Local bucheits and farm and home donated a few trapping DVDs(which we free names for at the end and sent home with the kids)and junk food and soda.. Have fun with the kids and dont stress too much. If legal a basic safe firearms course with maybe a simple firearm(or BB gun)or two may peak their interest. Ours was in a church/school basement so no firearms but they did allow knives, axes, hatchets etc.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2015, 02:44 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for the advice guys. After thinking about it I'm going to lay off the types of sets and talk more about the actual traps and provide alot of pictures. I will be contacting the DNR officer tomorrow to see if I could borrow some tanned pelts. I know the kids will all want to be touching and playing with the traps so I will bring some #1's for them to set.

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 10:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I do a demo for a scout rendezvous every year. Usually around 200-300 scouts and parents. What I usually do as part of it is to make a fox set. I use a 1.5 coil. pass around a lure, the stinkier the better. Parents aren't too impressed by that but the kids love it. Then in the end after the set is made I will play the part of the fox to demonstrate how it would work the set and end it with putting my hand aka front paw in the trap. It is great fun watching the faces of both the kids and parents when that trap closes on your fingers. They are all expecting the Disney channel trap that lops off fingers. It gets their attention, destroys that myth (at least in part) and lodges in their memory. Both the parents and the children. I have often had parents come up to me afterwards with questions because I had just made them re-think a lot of what they thought they new about it.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2015, 01:32 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I do a trapping demo for hunter ed classes that I help teach. I show the students (usually several adults in class) the different style traps and how they work. Also emphasize that the modern traps ain't bone breakers like on Disney movies and will eventually snap 1 on my hand. I used to use a number 11 dls to stick my paw in but have gone to a no 4 dls. This does 2 things: first, it is more impressive than the small trap, but more importantly, more of my hand fits in the trap and feels a whole lot better hitting the meat behind my fingers than the bone in my fingers! If time permits, I let those interested mess with the traps. I had 1 lil girl bout 11 or 12 take a real interest in a bridger 11 a couple years ago, and in the idea of trapping itself. She got up some nerve and got it set a couple times then fired it like I showed them before by reaching under the loose jaw and dropping the pan. I got distracted a second by a young feller and I heard that 11 snap in a different tone. :shock: That girl got a little bit of skin pinched in the jaws and she was getting a little red around the eyes. I got her out of it and told her to set it again, she did! Bless her heart! She ended up going home with that trap.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.