Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 15:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 10 Nights At Camp Winky
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 09:25 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Well finally the rains slacked up and all the hunters were out of the woods at my lease down in southeast Texas and so I loaded up to go down for 10 nights of camping and trapping.

Sunday January 25, 2015

Made it down to Camp Winky, got the camp opened up and ready for some camping. Went out and got 12 traps out before dark.

Monday January 25

Caught a coyote very near my camp.

Then picked up a nice red fox.

Red fox are not all that common in my hunting lease. I also caught a dog and released it. The weather had warmed up but I managed to get more traps out and killed a snake on the way back to the camp!

Back at the camp I skinned, fleshed and boarded the coyote and red fox. The Ol' Hatchet flesher was put to use.

I had to do a little touch up on the hides after dark.

Wednesday January 28

I caught 2 coyotes, a very large swamp rabbit, 4 possums and a coon that I released due to fight wounds. While putting out some otter sets I found two different otter toilets that had duck feathers in their scat.

Made more sets and then back to the camp to skin, flesh and board the coyotes. I got the coyote and red fox hides turned.

Thursday January 29

Caught 5 possums, snared a coon but released it due to damage to hide,

caught a large male otter.

Image[/URL]

Got more traps out, made it back to camp and skinned otter and put it's hide up, then turned the coyote hides.

Friday January 30

I caught a good sized bobcat and it was on the side of a tree and as I walked up with my choke stick it leaped to another tree....in a flash! :shock: It was caught by only one toe and that did have me concerned but I did manage to get the cable around it's neck without a problem. Just before it expired it bit itself on the shoulder and thus was lodged in the tree. I had to pry it's mouth open to get it out of the tree.

I also caught 4 possums and could hardly believe one of them was caught by it's tail.

I lost one trap to log skidders. I knew where they were going to be cutting and removed one of the two traps I had in there but thought the other was safe because it was in a section of small trees. Well that is just where they made their skid road to their log set! Back to camp and skinned, fleshed and boarded the cat. I then went out to my friend Festus' house and helped him get caught up on some of his fleshing and boarding. They had a death in the family and he was busier than a one armed paper hanger! First off he tried to convince me to use his Necker Knife...after my trial in Kansas with Amak and Wolf, I knew that wasn't for me.

So we agreed he'd use his Necker Knife and I'd use the Ol' Hatchet Head.

It worked out very well for the both of us. I was impressed that he'd gotten the hang of using the Necker Knife so well. This is his first season to use one. After helping him and getting a free meal out of the deal I headed back down to my camp and no sooner got there than I heard a dog carrying on in a trap near the camp! I went and released it....that makes 3 dog catches so far!

Saturday January 31

My eldest son came in to run traps with me. Caught a bobcat where I'd used the swamp rabbit for bait,

Then we picked up a nice boar coon in a coyote set.

I found a couple of sets that had the attractors pulled from behind the traps but the traps were not thrown. As we came upon one set it was evident that there had been something in the trap for a good while but had escaped due to the jaw popping out of the Victor #2 CS!

Looking around it was easy to see it had been a bobcat in the trap. Replaced that trap with the only other trap I had available...another Victor #2CS.

As we were checking some otter sets I was showing my son my new trap setters and the spring just flew off into the woods! :? Well once back to the camp I had to rummage around and find a spring to replace the old one. Sometimes you wonder if you get what you pay for?

Skinned, fleshed and boarded bobcat and coon.

Sunday February 1

I caught 6 possums (Redrooster would be so proud of me), another dog, a coon, a grey fox and a bobcat. I have noticed our grey fox are not the least bit timid while in a trap and fight about as hard as any animal when they are approached. I know they are easily handled once fouled but until then they are very active.

The bobcat was in the same set that I lost one yesterday and the Victor #2 CS did what it was suppose to.

For some reason the cats have been retaining a very good amount of urine

So with a surplus collected I was able to save some back to share with my friend Festus. He and his wife invited me to come out, shower and have supper with them. So I went out to a laundromat, washed my clothes and then went to their house to clean up and have supper. It was then back to camp to turn some hides.

Monday February 2

Caught 2 possums, 1 crow (released), 2 coons, a young male otter,

and an alligator snapping turtle that would weigh about 25-30 lbs. Sorry folks, I didn't have my scales with me. :roll: It was caught by it's top "beak" in a 220 otter set and was unharmed. I took the 220 off and pulled it out on the bank of the stream for pictures and it ambled back down into the stream and found a comfortable spot to sit on bottom.

That was my second time to catch a alligator snapping turtle in a 220. As I ran my other traps I found 2 with my stepping sticks in the jaws, that was not what I'd hoped to find in my traps. :evil:

I also found a #4 LS that had been thrown but the jaws didn't close. It is a second hand trap I'd bought, but can see it needs some tuning up! Back to camp and took some hides off boards.

Tuesday February 3

I saw where an otter had visited a toilet set that I had 220s at but the otter did not get in either of the traps. I did catch a coyote near my camp and after dispatching it I took it on back and weighed it, leaving it on the scales until I returned from running my other traps. I caught another coyote and two bobcats.

The last cat I caught was in the same set I'd lost one and caught one. When I got back to camp and walked over to remove the dead coyote from the scales, I realized it was NOT DEAD! I re-dispatched it! You can't be too sure with .22 shorts.

The lighter coyote had patches of hair only on the back of it's neck.

I skinned the dark coyote and the bobcats. I put the coyote hide in the cooler to finish at home and the cats I skinned, fleshed and boarded. Festus came to the camp and took some pictures of the hides I had collected.

Just when Festus was making me feel pretty good about the furs I'd taken and put up he asked if I'd like to go out and visit another trapper, CC Gore, who has been working at catching some stuff? I said "sure" and then when we got there I got to see what a Real Trapper has hanging in their fur shed! I think there are 29 finished bobcats behind us in the picture!

Wednesday February 4

I ran traps and finished pulling all traps and snares. I did catch another grey fox and a bob-tailed boar coon. Back at the camp I skinned both and put the hides in the cooler to finish when I got home. I loaded all equipment, closed the camp for another season and headed home to unload. Another season of memories gathered down at Camp Winky.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 10:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Very neat.... Man am I jealous every body has cats....why did my great grandparents settle in this part of the world with no cats ha ha terrible decision

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 10:52 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp, that is a very impressive ten day run there!! Congratulations on all the catches, love the red!! If I caught one it would probably cost me $400-500.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 10:55 
Trapper
Trapper

Looks like a productive trip. Thanks for the pics and trip report

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 14:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Love it. Another year in the books. Great job. Funny how you kept referencing the missed cat....it's always the one that got away that we think about the most :cry:

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 17:46 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Great job . Good looking fur. Bet you'll be glad when the loggers leave.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 18:07 

Awesome job Swamp! Great story line as well. All that's needed is that top lot award from NAFA.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 20:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

As always Larry you catch a great amount of fur in your short stint at camp winky. This year with the snake and turtle and water lizard well lets say you would never see me down your way checking your traps. Great job bud and very nice put up furs. You already have 2 top lot trapper hats and in my books you do not need the certificate. Great story line from a superb trapper.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2015, 00:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

OUT-STAND-ING!!!!

Swamp, I seriously think you could write a book about your time there over the years just with your trapping log and it would sell. With so many people lost inside the digital virtual world they've created and many of our cube life of work what you show is actually real even if its only 10 days at a time. There are people who long for real...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2015, 20:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Will do Swamp Rat, probably early next week :wink: ...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2015, 22:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice catches and put ups Swamp.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2015, 00:29 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Dang that's a pile of hides stacked up in 10 days! Congrats on the catches, and hopefully the scars from the missed cat heal quickly. :wink: I know that pain as well.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2015, 00:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp- That was an awesome trip at Winky. You really kicked butt on those cats! Looks like you had a great time and even got to take a shower! :--o

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2015, 07:12 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It surprises me each year that I see and experience more new things along the trap lines. Dealing with weather changes is a large challenge on keeping the furs from ruining.

That was the second cat I lost this year, I was trapping another area near where I live and caught a nice sized bobcat the first night on a trail set. As I walked up to it the cat made two hard dashes and left me with one toe! The trap was secured to the bottom of a tree and not on a drag, so it could make a solid pull. But the next morning I had a cat in that trap that I immediately dispatched!

Like WCS stated, it's the ones that get away that you can't quit thinking about! :roll:

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2015, 08:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

great catches swamp rat. always look forward to the camp winky trip you make congrats on all your catches

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 18:10 
Trapper
Trapper

Sounds and looks like you had a heck of a good time at Camp Winky! The cat I was telling you about loosing is eating my lunch too!!

Now, just how did that camp get named Winky???????

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 19:32 
Trapper
Trapper

Looks like a good time. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 17:56 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

ArkieFur wrote:

Now, just how did that camp get named Winky???????

My eldest son's nickname is "Winky"...that is a story to itself...and he is a carpenter and has done most of the work on putting the building together, so to show my appreciation for all his help I named it Camp Winky. It might not look like much to the average eye, but it keeps me dry and warm. ;--)

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 21:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Great pictures and catch Swamp. Looks like a lot of fun. Do any good deer hunting around there this year?

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 22:20 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Backwoods, the timber company allowed us one 14" or better buck and one doe, I lucked out and got both.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 22:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
Backwoods, the timber company allowed us one 14" or better buck and one doe, I lucked out and got both.

I seen your pics of both, very nice. What kind of flash light did you say you used? :P

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 23:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thats good news swamp. Congrats!

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 06:21 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wolf1199 wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

I seen your pics of both, very nice. What kind of flash light did you say you used? :P

The old Carbide One Eyed Dog..... :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 07:36 
Trapper
Trapper

Looks like a great time at camp!! Lots of work when your hitting it hard....

This "Festus" that you speak of, I thought his wife put up his fur......

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 11:29 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

cdr wrote:
Looks like a great time at camp!! Lots of work when your hitting it hard....

This "Festus" that you speak of, I thought his wife put up his fur......

She does not do the fleshing but does a good job of putting the fur up. :lol: