0/2 grey fox
0/1 coyote
12/20 coon
0/1 weasel

Post subject: Re: Fur bearer meat
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2014, 18:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Bobcat, beaver, and muskrat I have eaten and all are good. Coons and possums are also eaten and are considered decent table fare. I have even heard of people having a meat market for yotes...... :shock: not sure on why :? The canids and mustelids I would stay away from.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2014, 18:30 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Squirrel, rabbit, coon, beaver, bobcat I have eaten and all were decent to very good. Preparation has something to do with how they taste. I know of those who have eaten armadillo and possum and liked them. Alligator is good table fare.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2014, 21:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Dont think of trying red fox.........i need a puking smiley .....

Swamp ive eaten both armadillo and possum. Both are quite excellent. However i wont eat anymoe armadillo since i found outabout the leprosy contraversey. Possum, i think to be at least twice as good as coon if its a nice healthy plump young one.

Like catman and swamp stated...those are dang good animals and good advice on what to shy from. Skunk, weasel family, and canids are best left at hides.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2014, 22:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have had red fox in stew. It was a bit stringy, but very tasty. Brother tried coyote and said it tasted like the way an old wet dog smells. Thought the coon was very much like pork and enjoyable. Muskrat reminds me of chicken gizzards, which I like. I consider beaver similar to fine textured beef. Fried skunk wasn't bad and haven't gotten hungry enough to try the weasels.

REM

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2014, 03:56 
Trapper
Trapper

I eat the coon & bobcat. Possum may be?? coyote no.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 08:18 

cat-man-jr wrote:
Bobcat, beaver, and muskrat I have eaten and all are good. Coons and possums are also eaten and are considered decent table fare. I have even heard of people having a meat market for yotes...... :shock: not sure on why :? The canids and mustelids I would stay away from.

Here ya go CMJ, another revenue source.....

http://www.exoticmeatmarkets.com/coyotemeat.html

Can't say I have sampled much wild meat....whitetail and fish mainly. I would like to try a bobcat someday but the dnr makes us turn in the entire carcass when we get our cities tag.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2014, 00:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Beaver is tasty. I like the hind quarters best.
Bear is excellent in the fall, not so great in the spring, and definitely not so great taken from near dumps.
If you can get clean bear fat and render it down by simmering the fat over a low heat till the "cracklings" rise to the surface and fat is clear, let it cool, strain it, and refrigerate. Fantastic used in place of lard or crisco in biscuits or pie crusts.
Cougar is very good white meat. Squirrel very good as well as wild rabbit, not a big fan of domestic rabbit, too sweet.
Just about any meat can be used in any recipe calling for any meat. Wild game cook books are pretty much a waste of money as far as Im concerned. Nice additions to your cook book collection, but meat is meat.
Been wanting to try some prairie dog.

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2014, 10:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I wasn't impressed with prairie dog on the plate. It will keep your navel from attacking your backbone. Prairie dogs are as flea ridden a critter as you are likely to find. Dog town that was between Fort Collins and Loveland was notorious for getting plague every two or three years. Canyon land south of Cripple Creek and Victor also had plague every so often in the ground squirrel population. I'd suggest you wear gloves if you are intent on trying PDs.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014, 10:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yes, thank you remrogers. I too have heard about prairie dogs being infested with fleas. I suppose I won't be trying any of them unless it is an actual survival situation.
Central Mt. had a problem with flea infested coyotes years ago and deaths were reported from the plague. When we would, on rare occasions, come in possession of a coyote carcass we would do as other's in the area suggested we do. Get a large heavy duty black contractors' garbage bag, put the yote in it and spray liberally with flea/insect KILLER, not repellent, close the bag and allow it to set for an hour or so. Turning the bag to expose both sides of the carcass.
Thanks for the info rr.
Im turning my attention to a single rabbit whose determined to undermine my squash plants for a nice cubby. Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit. Even they carry diseases. Im told to examine the liver to make sure it's healthy red color and not spotted, will do. Hunting season for rabbits? Really? Grasshoppers next?
Nails with threads the King's Laws.

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014, 11:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Tularemia is carried by rabbits, beaver, muskrats, and other critters. Usually, the first good hard frost in the fall will cause most of the critters to die. Causes them to perish of hypothermia. Just can't take the cold. Have found a few that died of no apparent external causes, after that first hard frost. Would be wary of summer time rabbits. If you are protecting your garden crops, I wouldn't think twice about putting them out of my misery.