Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 13:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canine paste bait
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014, 11:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

This started when we moved and a 5lb package of ground beaver(destined for a healthier beef substitute) got left out too long for me. I made 5 1lb baits, of the 5 this one out produced the others and caught the last of our canines for the year. I will make more for next year. I didnt use a preserbative as it was cold out and all 5 ride in a tote. I wanted this one to be more of a paste bait and consider it a "bait" even though it has "lure" ingredients. Didnt name it.. But here it is. 1lb ground beaver, 10 drops amber oil(and i may jump it up to 20 next year), 1 "handful" ground turkey intestines, giblets etc, 20 drops Valerian extract but im not sure i really like it, im a tinkerer, 2oz red fox urine fresh not ammonia, 15 drops asofedita i had started at 10 but kicked it up to 15, 1cup chicken blood and juice, Keep this cold or it gets a real bite. And believe it or not, i added 1 tablespoon of whitetail deer interdigital gland wax i salvaged from a late doe. Add or substitute as you wish but thi showed lots of promise.

Post subject: Re: Canine paste bait
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 20:28 
Trapper
Trapper

I got a gallon bag of beaver chunks. That's what i want to do. I wonder that the Jameson solution any good.

http://www.jamesonsultrablend.com/Predator.html

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 00:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Personally, i sold some stuff like that others made but i dont use it and dont remember ever using it. @$18/pint i can come up with stuff im sure is just as good and much cheaper. From what i gather alot of the bait solutions are water, urine and sometimes fish oil/ menhaden oil. Before someone goes nuts i said alot, not all. Im sure a few have a valuable product to some. Id spend $18 on quality lure first. But, thats me. Its hard to recommend scents and additives to those in totally different environments. If i was in the douth where nutria were abundant id certainly include them in formulations. Here the average yote would probably freak and run.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 12:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Loaded Snare wrote:
I got a gallon bag of beaver chunks. That's what i want to do. I wonder that the Jameson solution any good.

http://www.jamesonsultrablend.com/Predator.html

I checked out his web site last summer. Some of his prices are ok, but some are off the planet. I believe his urine is like 18.00 a pint. :shock: :--o He can kiss me where my two cheeks meet!!! :wink:

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 13:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nose or mouth Richard? Lol. Some of the supply houses are a little high, sayin that nice. Ive got a few i deal with and am very happy with if anyone needs a good one.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 19:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Backwoodsmansback wrote:
Nose or mouth Richard? Lol. Some of the supply houses are a little high, sayin that nice. Ive got a few i deal with and am very happy with if anyone needs a good one.

On the very back side!! :lol: I like cheap prices. Put them on here and I will write them in my notebook. My lures come from Kansas Trapline Products, MTP, O'Gormans and Amak's . :wink:

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 19:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Kaatz brothers(illinois) and Hoosier outdoors(Indiana). Both of their lures are good and im a Carmans fanatic. If your a deer hunter, One Night Stand, best deer lure ive ever bought. I swear by it. Early, rut or late ive killed alot of deer over it. I always have some along when kids or beginners are with us. You won't be disappointed.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2014, 01:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks Back. You may have it, but I bought Russ Carman's bait and lure book last winter called Musk, Mystery's and Misconceptions. A very good book. A ton of info. He is big in using blood in a lot of his formula's. Has a lot of formula's in it also if a guy is interested in making his own baits and lures.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2014, 09:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I've got a lure book of his somewhere but that title doesnt ring a bell. I'll have to look for it. I know alot of bait makers use chicken blood. Most catfishing baits have at least a little of it too.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2014, 12:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

He drains the blood from his catches to make a lure for that certain critter. He also explains how to drain and put it up to keep it from clotting.