Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 23:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 13:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

In some situations im planning on carrying my NAA .22 mini revolver or possibly my kit gun. Wondered about CCI'S mini mag hollow points? Anyone have any ideas or recommendations? Cost isnt a consideration/issue really as most likely only a few cylinders full will be shot in any given year just to check zero and function. I cant find any defense type rounds on the net? Of course i wasnt surprised as most loathe a .22 for this application but id rather have a .22 then having nothing and wishing i had a .32etc.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 18:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Those are a great choice back, you want the stingers. They are dependable, consistant, and hot. Most folks don't know to be more afraid of a .22LR. What they lack in ft lbs, they make up for, by bouncing around in there,,,,, being lightning quick in shot recovery,,,,,, and six of them in a persons trunk is gonna be devastating. Just plan on pulling the trigger till they are down, and you have one mean weapon. Similar effect of 00 buck shot if you think about it.

I think rem hp yellow jackets have a good rating for self defense ammo too.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 18:38 

I think a potent .22 LR cartridge would be if you took that X2 and made it a .44 Mag. That's pretty potent! :wink:

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 19:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I shot some yellow jackets when they first came out in the 80's i think? Cone/funnel shaped hollow point? I had forgotten about them, i dont remember stingers but im going to look them both up thank you. TR i will probably carry something a little heavier some days but the .22's are days where its too hot to wear clothing to hide the CCW. Long country walks, jogging( yes i jog now, lol, prosthetic doc freaked out today, gotta get a new ankle). I carried .38's/.357 wheel guns in my former career but had a .22LR or .22 magnum backup most times. Since the backup wasnt my primary weapon of course i just kept it loaded with homemade Remington hollow points in a rather moderate load. Im a big hollow point fan when it comes to tissue distruction. Semi-wadcutters/Wadcutters a close second. Seen too many cases where someone absorbed too many uber rounds and continued their progress. Off to the gunshop tomorrow.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 07:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I think any decent .22 mag hollow point is going to mess with some bad guy's day, especially after they pass out from blood loss from a half inch hole in one of their lungs. I think about a little .22 "pocket pistol" is that there almost invisible in a guy's hand and bad guy may not even know about it until they are bleeding. My SiL used to carry around (perhaps still does) a little North American (??) 5-shot .22 mag mini revolver (pull pin out to drop out the cylinder and an exposed hammer, 1.5 inch barrel??). It was about the length of your hand and half as wide. It fit inside a lot of things like her wallet. The bro thinks he stopped a potential armed robbery when he pulled up to an ATM down in Texas one time. A couple of dudes got out of the car behind him and approached his. He pulled one of these mini pistols out a dashboard tray and thinks the guy on the right side saw it or the flash. The two dudes got back into the car and the car backed out and took off. Never know if it was true or not but certainly a bit interesting...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 14:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

PC that's what I got but in .22LR, good little shooter.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 14:36 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

The best .22LR for CCW is called a .380.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 21:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Kind of agree with Al. I've seen the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard in .380. It can fit in the palm of your hand and isn't noticeable in your pants pocket.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 04:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sub compact semi isnt my choice for carry. I wouldnt carry a semi as my primary before. Seen too many failures. I know my little NAA will go bang everytime. Little semis require extra maintenance and you only have the safety to protect you against accidental discharge. With the NAA the hammer has to be manually cocked. Theres already been a few range failures during the CCW class's with subcompacts( and standard size semis, i may post a few later) besides my fiancée can shoot and maintain a NAA or other smaller revolver(or Derringer type) better then a sub compact semi. If they had a comparable size, weight and price semi to a NAA and it had reduced recoil and better reliability then the mcurrent sub compact semis id get one. At one time i had a Raven .25 around alot. One of the better .25 compacts ever made. It had feeding issues one night when it was needed. I just dont trust compact semis with my life i guess. I know many lovem.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 14:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

The .380 bodyguard is available in semi-auto style and as a revolver. There's no external hammer though.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 16:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

A .380 revolver and hammer less? Im intrigued. Anyone ever handled or shot one? I like .380's but except for a Walther PPKS i never could find a decent modest priced semi. I knew the Russians made some .380 or comparable revolvers but ive never acquired one. My NAA was with us today. Dead groundhog! Took 3 shots to find his range(20') but hes marinating now.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2014, 22:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Went shopping for .22 CCW cartridges today. Talk about limited availability. Wallys was out, again of everything. Our 2 farm stores in my "hometown" were out. Surplus store only had a 50rd pack of CCI's hollow points, hyper velocity, 50rds/ $11.99. No thanks. Guess until the selection improves I'll just carry CCi mini mag hollow points. Thinkin of makin up some BB tipped .22's. impressive wound channels in ballistic gel. Least till the selection is better.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 12:06 
Trapper
Trapper

The CCI Stinger is the round I would use myself. Someone mentioned how they will stack up against other cals.

Years ago, about 30, I spent the time to study them (22 cal rounds) and back then, as stated, what they lack in knock down, is made up in the velocity. When you do the math on them, the 22 round when compared to a 38 special, was about 40 foot pounds less energy, I believe. Like I said it was a long time back, but it was close.

I also have one of the NAA mini revolvers. I only put it in my pocket when I go to Memphis, lol. I wear a 1911 day in and out. My wife carries a Bersa, which is a PPK copy. The price on them was real reasonable and the quality was surprisingly good! She could carry the PPk, but she likes to carry hers and not mine. Guess it is a wife thing.

Never underestimate what a 22 will do. Just ask any doctor that has had to work on the damage they have done.