Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 10:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Knives
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 21:23 
Trapper
Trapper

I use a box cutter for skinning and roofing blade for pleating tail. Now, what is a decent fleshing knife for a beginner. I am gonna try it next season. Be fixing me a fleshing board and getting with another guy on making stretching boards. Think i know where i may get some used wire stretchers. Also, he has a 2 cd on fur handling.

Post subject: Re: Knives
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 21:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The sheffields, neckers, post, caribous are some good knives. On the neckers, if you get a 600 make sure it is a single bevel, the double beveled ones don't have a sharp edge at all and take some work to get an edge. Not so with the single bevel. All of these knives have a cutting and a pushing edge. They will also take some getting use to, so expect to nick up a couple hides. If you stick with it though, whichever knife you choose, and learn the knife, you will get the hang of it.

Also if you go with wire stretchers I highly suggest converting the skirts of them to wood so you can get the skirt of the hides even. If not you will be loosing size. Best case though is to go to wood if at all possible.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 22:24 

What kind of animals are you fleshing? A guy can flesh a lot of different animals with two of those cheap fleshing knives, one sharp for gristle and one dull for pushing. Beaver, otter, coon are probably a different story.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 04:07 
Trapper
Trapper

Mainly coon and some rats. Canines possible. I just inbox a guy on Facebook about some he has, another guy i know add wood to his stretchers. Probably same reason that was mentioned. I always sold green and wanna give this a try. I was only getting $3 a coon, think i was being taken advantage of. Atleast, dry i can turn down low ballers.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 11:51 
Trapper
Trapper

For Coon you will need a good knife os some sort but for rats all you need is a kitchen spoon. There are so many different options to choose from but I will say that a Necker 600 and a PVC beam works really well for me.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 18:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You can clean skin rats and not worry about fleshing. An old tablespoon works fine for fleshing rats. If like to make a video of how we skin rats. We use our skinning knife to remove any stubborn rat tissue but its hard to explain.