Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 16:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moldy Meat customs
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2013, 14:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I was recently given a small venison roast and some ground meat from one of the local guys here in town.
When he handed them to me he told me I might have to "trim" the roast a bit.
OK, been there done that before many a time....

but when I opened the package after thawing it, it has quite a bit of mold on it, not only on the surface but it seemed to go deep into the meat, and smelled musty, but not rotten. :shock:
We sometimes let our deer hang to age, but never long enough to have it form mold on it.
I haven't seen the guy to gingerly ask about the mold, and if his recommendation of "trimming" the meat, was made with the mold in mind. Or if he even knew the meat was moldy.

I guess my question is... Is anyone familiar with a method of allowing the meat to mold, then trimming off the mold to cook it? Im not sure what his nationality is but perhaps that is their custom. Ive never eaten moldy meat, but would under certain circumstances.
ANYONE????

And while on the sujbect of meat...and hanging it....
One year I was invited to a "rendezvous" on Henry's Fork of the Green River. AWESOME. I took a whole hind quarter off a deer, HEAVILY PEPPERED it and hung it in a tree in the shade in JULY in Wyoming. We ate off the hind quarter for a week by cutting muscle by muscle and heavily peppering it. I was amazed that it didn't begin to rot in spite of the heat, and the pepper surely kept the flies off better than salt, and didn't absorb moisture from the air like salt will make meat do.
Anyone ever hung and used meat like that?

HI guys. Im in a nontrapping nonhunting funk. ;--) But met a Native American who wants to learn to braintan so thats exciting. :--D

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

Post subject: Re: Moldy Meat customs
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2013, 15:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I've seen folks hang their meat before till mold formed. Traditional english custom was to hang fowl etc till it was in the first stages of rot. I try to shoot young deer so aging is not an issue but on occasion we will. We pepper out carcasses if we hang them in early bow season but i didnt think it helped with spoilage? Fast flowing CLEAN water will hol see meat a few extra days too. Theres not many methods we havent tried.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2013, 21:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Mould on meat hmmmmm, I would have an issue with that. I know the English were happy to eat rottem meat cause most of them never had teeth :mrgreen: All the butchers I know and many work at our super markets and cut wild meat on the side say wild meat does not have to hang like domestic meat. I have shot moose one day and had it cut up the next day, just because of the temp. But still was great and tender meat.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2013, 21:53 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Must be a Canadian thing to wonder about moldy meat :shock: . I spend more time and money on keeping it from freezing before cutting than worrying about it molding.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2013, 22:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

MG- Have you tried to cut through the roast all the way to see how far the mold goes?? I've cut a lot of mold off of cheese before without an issue. I guess it depends on how hungry you are. We have a rule around here with store bought hamburger and such, "if in doubt, throw it out". I've been food poisoned a few times. There's no $5-10 worth of meat worth rolling around and puking one's guts out for 24 hours or more and having absolutely no energy. I got it one time on an antelope hunt. First day walked 5-6 miles no problem. Sunday morning when I was going through lovely food poisoning, I could barely make it 100 meters in front of the truck to post up. Drove half way from the west half of SD laying in the back seat of my 70 Impala wishing I wasn't there. Not much fun at all...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2013, 23:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Many say deer/wild game doesnt need to age and their partially right. Lower fat content is the reasoning. Hold the meat at 40 degrees and there is a difference in texture. We dont age anymore, big bucks and big does we dont cut steaks from cept inner and outer loins. Roasts cook so long in our burgoo we could cook leather boots in it. Alot depends on how the deer etc is killed. Thats why we dont drive. The andrenaline makes the meat almost unpalatable.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013, 19:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

thanks for the comments yall.
No I didn't cut into it. Even though it didn't smell of rotten meat, it had a distinct musty smell and I tossed it. I'm perhaps a victim of my over civilized life. Ya eat and drink some strange stuff when your very thirsty or hungry. I remember one time tree planting in Idaho, sucking the water out of an elk track on the side of a hill, with visible elk turds laying around. So..... I guess If I were real hungry I'd eat musty meat.
Normally we don't let our venision "age" but have a few times, but only for a few days and in cool weather.
Haven't seen the guy yet to ask about the mold. mg

FREEDOM~LIBERTY