Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fox fleshing?
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 08:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

okay guys so I finally out smarted that one fox..... now I got a fleshing ? do you remove the saddle from a fox or just the little fat that's on it ?

Check out my you tube page!!! alot of the stuff i learned on here i have made video's of them ..... http://www.youtube.com/user/ski31989?feature=mhee

Post subject: Re: fox fleshing?
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 11:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ski, is it a red or grey fox? Most of the time reds don't take much fleshing. The loose fat and if there are heavier chunks of meat on from skinning, is all that needs to come off if its even there. I've skinned reds and immediately put on the stretcher numerous times. I'd think of it as a muskrat, only with less oils. I dont remove saddles on any of the predators i catch, unless its a fatty coyote or freakish thing. Grey fox I'm told require a bit more fleshing but I don't deal with them so someone else will need to help there.

Nice job on the catch! :D

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 17:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Amak wrote:
Ski, is it a red or grey fox? Most of the time reds don't take much fleshing. The loose fat and if there are heavier chunks of meat on from skinning, is all that needs to come off if its even there. I've skinned reds and immediately put on the stretcher numerous times. I'd think of it as a muskrat, only with less oils. I dont remove saddles on any of the predators i catch, unless its a fatty coyote or freakish thing. Grey fox I'm told require a bit more fleshing but I don't deal with them so someone else will need to help there.

Nice job on the catch! :D

X2. They need hardly any fleshing. Just the big stuff. Where's the pic? Lol

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 18:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

okay thanks guys....its on my camera and I am wait to upload all the pictures from the season into a video for the end of the year.....this is the first year I am finally getting to trap a lot and actually put up my own fur so I am holding out and keeping everyone in a suspense for my end of the year photo/ video

I actually called micah and me and him talked about a bunch of different things for me to try for this guy cause he was giving me the slip so bad lol......I do have one critter working my set that I am excited about but not excited...I have found a couple bobcat tracks " Big freakin track!" just on the outside of my dirt holes...I have a tag for him but it does not come in until decemeber and the WMU I am in does not allow you to keep them...so it would be a cool catch but would suck to have to let him go

Check out my you tube page!!! alot of the stuff i learned on here i have made video's of them ..... http://www.youtube.com/user/ski31989?feature=mhee

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 19:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Good job ski. I too look forward to the pics.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 20:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ski, one more thing: Once you get the fox on the board (fur side in) it doesn't take long for the hide to dry enough to turn fur side out. Where I live it's less than 24 hours. I had to place damp cloth on my first one this year and dry over. Then less than 12 hours later it was ready to turn. Remember to remove the cartilage on the ears too.

Look forward to your pictures. Good luck this season.

Pierre

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 21:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I think ours took just a few hours to get dry enough. But we dry or just enough to where the skin isn't tacky at all on the outside so it doesn't stick to the board. That's about the only reason to dry them skin side out for a while.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 21:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

CMJ, I like your method. I read somewhere many years back that it takes 24 hours, but that doesn't work for me here.

Pierre

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 21:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah we can't wait that long or it won't get turned. Even yotes and such only take 6-8 hours if I remember right. Cats a little less then that. But that is also for our fur room and the conditions within it.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 05:57 

Some guys I know flesh the little fat that is on a fox, will leave it fur side in for 1 day then put borax on the leather side and turn to fur side out on day 2.

Congrats on the fox Ski!

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 09:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

trapperrick wrote:
Some guys I know flesh the little fat that is on a fox, will leave it fur side in for 1 day then put borax on the leather side and turn to fur side out on day 2.

Congrats on the fox Ski!

I do this with borax with all my fur out items. My drying time in my space is shorter, but I rub borax into head and ears and in the pelts "arm pits" :lol: or anywhere I think isn't quite dry enough while the rest of the pelt is in fact ready. I like to turn them while the head is still a bit pliable.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 11:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

thanks guys.....I was never really quiet sure on how to handle them ...I picked up another red this morning in a coon pocket set of all things lol

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 16:42 

ski3879 wrote:
thanks guys.....I was never really quiet sure on how to handle them ...I picked up another red this morning in a coon pocket set of all things lol

You're getting as good the red fox as you are with Beaver!

By the way Ski, Where has Big Moo been?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 06:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Moo is into the waterfowl thing big time and he just got a new puppy so between that and work he is been really busy....His dad may still be doing his fox line but I am not sure, but I know in the past the two of them hit the rats hard but I don't know if they are doing it again this year or not

as far as me getting as good with the reds as beaver I don't think so....I still deal with plenty of issues with them lol....to me beavers are just as easy as coons and rats "Nicole thinks in my past life I was a beaver" ...k9's though always seem to give me the run around for a while before I connect with them

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 09:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ski, I don't know that the canine run around ever gets any better! I think we all settle in to a most effective set that we use, but to a large degree its just the nature of the beast. There will always be those that get caught on the first visit, but many will come back a few times befotre they get caught......esp true with reds. I deal with some fussy coyotes, but mostly, when they do commit, they get caught. Reds like to "play games" many times. We can counter that in set type and tactics, but I dont know of a set that is fool proof against a particularly ornery red. They will mess up though and keeping steel going in the area is the name of the game with them. Like with anything, more expanse covered into more canine home ranges, and more steel, equals a more consistent take. We can all improve, but you are doing an excellent job so don't be to hard on yourself! :wink:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 10:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ski, congratulations on your #2 red fox!

Pierre

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 17:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have set a goal of 10 k-9's this year and I got 2 ..I have to pull my sets tomorrow I have jury duty on Tuesday, going to erie with dad on wed. and headed up to camp Thursday for some waterfowl with Nicole on the week end.....the one thing I am happy to report is I have a goal of 50 coons this season and I caught number 20 today....so I am feeling really positive about that cause I have only hit a quarter of my coon line so far but we will see.....I just really hope I am not messing this fleshing thing up to bad on the coons... last year my buyer didn't have anything negative to say to me about it but we will see lol

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 18:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good to hear about the total numbers, congrats. As far as your fur put up I am sure it is fine. You haven't ever been the type to skip over details from what I've seen of you on here, and with your buyer not saying anything last year, you are doing fine.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 12:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

thanks CM :--D

I pulled up to my sets this morning and off in the distance I could see I had something in my one yote sets so I shined the light at the trap from a distance and I thought I had MR. bobcat ...I started jumping up and down and yelling and ran up to the set...well lets just say it wasn't lol ...talk about a big kick in the gut

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 21:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

ski3879 wrote:
thanks CM :--D

I pulled up to my sets this morning and off in the distance I could see I had something in my one yote sets so I shined the light at the trap from a distance and I thought I had MR. bobcat ...I started jumping up and down and yelling and ran up to the set...well lets just say it wasn't lol ...talk about a big kick in the gut

Was it a very excited and acrobatic grinner? :lol: :shock: :wink:

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 21:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You are doing very well ski. You are inspiring us with less time and experience. Keep it up .