Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 09:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Live trap coons?
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 00:20 
Trapper
Trapper

Do any of you folks live trap coons? I have a live cage trap, and was wondering if it is better, worse, or neutral to using a bucket set with a conibear. I have such a limited trapping setup for this year, I gotta use all that I have available. Plan to use salmon in a tin, or dog/cat food for bait.

Thanks guys and gals!

Post subject: Re: Live trap coons?
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 00:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I wouldn't say its any better or worse, just a different tactic. The bait you are thinking of using will work fine too. Pretty much anything you'd use for a bucket you can use in the live trap just as well. The main downfall with the live traps is the amount of room they take up in the back of a vehicle, especially if you are going to be setting very many of them.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 00:42 
Trapper
Trapper

Yeah I only have the one. Takes up a mite of space indeed. Just with my limited tools, need to use all I have!!!

Another question while I am at it. Is a 280 overkill on coons? I am not a dedicated coon man, and again, due to trying to use what I have at hand, which are 280's ( use them for beaver), they are rated for coon, but some say they are overkill.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 00:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I do quite a bit while doing nuisance work in the summer. The first thing, what kind of cage are you using. They can really test a cage. You wont probably run into it. But a nursing female Coon is THE test for a cage trap. I use Comstock doubledoors. But those are $150 traps. I have had them take the doors completely off of Hava-junks.
Now when it comes to using them. Obviously as with all traps. On sign or at least by travel route. I wire the biggest bait into the back of the cage. Make sure they cannot reach it from outside on the top or sides. Then I will put a trail of tidbits IE small marshmallows etc. around the entrance and into the trap itself. I go to the dollar store and get cheap syrup. Use it as a trailing scent to the entrance from multiple directions. I stay away from meat baits. They tend to attract the BlackNwhites. Magpies, crows, ravens and skunks. Keep an old tarp or blanket with you to deal with a skunk.
You have to be careful shooting a skunk in a trap. If you hit the wire, they get sprayed by lead. And then they spray.
Two important points: 1, stake the trap so it cannot be moved or flipped. They can and will flip a trap over. Which can cause the door to open. (Dukes especially). 2, Make sure you don't set it too sensitive. They will bump into it from the sides and they will climb on top and walk around.

A couple years ago I had a customer put a trail camera on one of my traps. It was a humbling and very educational video.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 00:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

IMO Big coni's should only be used in the water. You can run into some bad nontarget problems. You wont be releasing fluffy from a #280. Also in many states that size is illegal on land. As for use on I coon. They are
a bit big. You will have problems with misses and hip catches.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 00:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Are they overkill, I guess technically, but you can class a 160 or 220 as overkill too because you can take them in a 155 lol. Problems you might have with the 280 will be suitcasing coons. You might see somewhat of a reduction in price of hide if you are finishing them. The other thing is dogs, enough said. Just be careful in where you set them, other then that if you want to set them and are legal to, I don't see why not.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 02:41 
Trapper
Trapper

I use live traps for damage control coons but like woods I use expensive traps have had coons take my steal bar and bend it in a u shape make sure its a good made one. sweet baits work well they things have a sweet tooth. I also bed my traps some of the older coons have soft pads and if they feel the metal they will not go in. Good luck hope you get lots of them.

Me 1-Coyote \ The Boys 5
Me 4-Gray Fox \ The Boys 6
Me 0-Martin \ The Boys 0
Me 0-Mink \ The Boys 2
Me 3-Muskrat \ The Boys 5
Me 18-Nutria \ The Boys 14
Me 3-Opossum & 20 released \ The Boys 0
Me 3-Otter \ The Boys 3
Me 15-Raccoon And 2 off the blacktop \ The Boys 5
Me 0-Red Fox \ The Boys 0
Me 5-Stinker \ The Boys 3

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 10:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Everthing said here is good stuff. I made the mistake of buying hava hearts and dukes. The duke lasted 2 boar coons,the later took out the whole lower corner of the wire strands and was well on the way to escape. The others are just as junky. If you have a cheapy, run it often and early.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 16:11 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I would have to vote "go with what you got" if you don't have enough traps to cover the ground you want to. Been there, done that. :lol: :oops: Just heed the previous advice, coons are tough, strong critters that will tear up anything they are able to. As far as the 280, I don't think you can necessarily overkill with a body grip but I also would imagine that you wouldn't get a desired hit location on a coon with anything greater than a 220 and I far prefer 160's to a 220 for the strike area.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 18:06 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

flattail one more little tidbit for ya use a quart jar to put the bulk of your bait in in the winter time I prefer unbroken raw eggs it makes a good sight bait and the wiser coons that reach over your pan will fall victim to it when they roll the jar across the pan they just stepped over trying to get to the eggs good luck

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 18:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

peace keeper wrote:
flattail one more little tidbit for ya use a quart jar to put the bulk of your bait in in the winter time I prefer unbroken raw eggs it makes a good sight bait and the wiser coons that reach over your pan will fall victim to it when they roll the jar across the pan they just stepped over trying to get to the eggs good luck

Now that's slicker than snot! Lol!

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 19:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Flattail- If I remember right, you are pretty deeply rural, right?? Neighbors are few and far between? If you don't have to worry much about domestic animals or kids, then I'd use whatever you have. Yes, a 280 might suitcase a coon but what's worth more a suitcased coon in hand or one still running around in the field?

A live trap is nice for places where the bodygrip wouldn't be advised for domestics or little kids. I'm trapping 2 farm/house places where only dps and live traps can be used so I don't take out their cats. With cats around, sweet baits work good but putties might still get in a live trap, so you might be emptying cats on a regular basis. Some learn quick and never get back in the trap. Some are slow learners. God luck and keep us updated. Pictures are always a plus :)

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 14:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

All the above advice is good. Ive been there too using anything i could. I use a few live traps. I build my own anymore. I like to drive a round steel stock or rebar they one side of the live trAp 12" or so into the ground. Keeps'em from rollin the traps. Maple syrup, home made fish oil, old fruit jelly etc is all good trail bait, even mini marshmallows etc. veggie baits seem to draw groundhogs n rabbits as opposed to fish/meat baits. I like to mix up the main baits as some critters have a preference. I set more box/live traps this weekend in barns, outbuildings etc. i can PM you some dispatch methods for alot of the critters you might catch. If your using a firearm be mindful of outbuildings etc.. Ricochets etc..

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 22:35 
Trapper
Trapper

Amak wrote:
peace keeper wrote:

Now that's slicker than snot! Lol!

He learned it from his wife :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 22:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I built 6 a few years ago about 16"x16"x3'.. Built the box out of salvaged pine 1x6's and lined the inside with storm ruined/salvaged cyclone fence. Used weighted sliding doors( not flop/drop doors). Cut scrap metal to line the door out of an old dryer. Left one end"open" but covered in cyclone fence. Looked like bubba fudds redneck conglomeration but they caught $15 coons just fine. Looked good enough for deer hunters to steal 2.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 16:29 
Trapper
Trapper

I used a lot of bucket sets and when the fur market only wanted large coons and up, I switched to the cage traps and then i could release the smaller ones. Worked out very well. Except for some small coons kept coming back to rob the cookie jar.
Dave

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 16:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

One hand thats pretty funny. Guess they "bit" the hand that feeds them? Lol, sorry couldnt resist!