Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 07:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: coon beginner
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 11:21 
Trapper
Trapper

I'm going into my second year of trapping this year. Last year i cut my teeth on possums, feral cats and also a few coons but this year I want to go after coons primarily. Here is my list of supplies that I was planning on getting from FnT post if its the right stuff but I need you pros to tell me if it is or not.
12 duke #1.5 double jawed
1 duke #4 4 coil offset jaws ( I found an active coyote den so I'm gonna give it a shot.)
1 duke 220 coni for a box set
1 bag of sheep's wool for dirt hole sets
Fish and shellfish oil (gonna mix it together)
1 Dozen quick links
Shock absorbers
Full metal jacket trap coating
I have some long dog chains and some thick wire already and my dad made some 12 inch steel stakes with a washer on top and 2 huge barbs on each stake. I'm a little nervous about the stakes but I absolutely can't pull them out once they're in the ground so I think they'll work Tell me what you think about my choices and help me out if I made a mistake. Also what would be some good coon bait for late winter trapping and what are some good homemade baits?

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

Post subject: Re: coon beginner
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 11:38 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Welcome to WAT jermbonoutdoors, tell us a little about yourself, experience, age, location where you'll be trapping. You state you are going primarily after coons then say you are going to trap a coyote den and are using 12" stakes. I have had poor experiences with short stakes when coyotes were involved. I didn't understand the "two huge barbs" comment. I wish you luck in the upcoming season.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 11:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Welcome to WAT.Sounds good to me. I would be nervous about the stakes especially in soft ground or sand, I like all of mine to be at least 18 inches long. If you can't pull them out then they will probably hold in solid ground. I would never trust them with a yote, 24 inch cross staked is a good size. I don't know if you have looked into cable stakes or not but they might be a better option for both species. I don't know where you are located but make sure you check you're regs on those conis. Here in pa all conibears need to be set in an established waterway, swamp,or marsh. :evil: Your fish and shellfish oil mix will make a good bait for coons.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 12:03 
Trapper
Trapper

Alrighty. I'm 17, live in Indiana, I like to hunt, and shoot and fish and trap and that's about all I'm good at. I'm trapping in our woods. Its pretty swampy with a creek goin through it. Yes I will be goin hard after coons but I want to make one yote set. What I meant by barbs was I have 2 barbs sticking straight out on each stake instead of just an average stake. Hope that clears things up.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 12:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The duke 1.5 double jaw should be a pretty decent trap for you. One question I have though, is how you are primarily wanting to set for the coons? There are really two options, land setting or water setting. The bait you describe is picture perfect for coons, they will love that and it should also work later in the season. You might also look into adding a raccoon gland lure to your arsenal for late season boars. Sometimes a boar looking for love will not pay much attention to baits, so it is good to have a gland lure with you. Either that or learn to blind set. I see you have quicklinks on your list, and I am assuming that you are looking to use them to attach your traps to a stake of some sort? Personally I am very leery of quicklinks. Yes they make it quick and easy to take a trap on and off, but they make it quick and easy for everyone, including those who might steal your trap. Only use them in areas where you know for a fact that no one is going to take the trap.

On the coyote den, if you are going to use a duke #4, you might look into adding a baseplate and reinforcing the dog. It isn't that the trap needs it to be able to catch a yote, the trap is plenty strong for that. It is more in case the coyote happens to be a chewer and chews on the trap. Duke steel isn't as hard of a steel as other traps nor is it as thick, so you stand a chance of a coyote tearing the trap up. Not that every coyote will do it, but you might happen across one that does. The 12" rebar stakes aren't long enough for one by itself. You should be able to get away with cross staking two 12" stakes though, IF, it is solid ground. You might even look to add a good heavy duty drag along with the stakes just in case. If it is more loose soil, you better go with something longer. A coyote can jump when they are in a trap (if the trap is short chained) or through running back and forth, they can "pump" a stake out. That's why alot of yote trappers that use rebar either go with long stakes, or cross stake. Which, if you look to cross stake, f and t has attachments that you put at the end of the trap chain that allows you to be able to drive two rebar stakes through it.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 13:02 
Trapper
Trapper

I was planning on setting most of them over dirt hole sets, trails coming out of the water and bucket sets. Ive already started making new stakes ranging from 18 to 40 inches.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 13:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That will work, just make sure to set on sign and you should be pretty much set on go.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 21:16 
Trapper
Trapper

I recommend buying bridger 220's over duke... i own both and prefer the bridgers by a long shot. i have some #4 dukes and i like them.. i added a homemade base plate and inside and outside laminated them... they are a pretty decent trap.. but defiantly not an MB. :mrgreen: i only run chained super stakes so I'm not any help on rebar staking. On the 1.5 DJ's they are not a bad trap but they require some tuning after almost every catch... today i order a doz 1.5 bridger specials to run along side them this year..... good luck with what ever you decide to go with :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 21:19 
Trapper
Trapper

I wanted to get the #1.5 bridgers but I was worried about leg chewing due to them not being double jawed. Do you think I would have that problem with coons?

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 21:46 
Trapper
Trapper

You will get some chewing on occasion... I even had some chew with the factory double jawed traps.... I also have a doz duke 1.5 that I welded the RK djs and lamanated them. I did not get any chewing in them.. but I did a a couple pull outs.... Personaly I did not see much of a diference in the regular jawed 1.5 s and the djs.. there just not big enough to do much... If you decide to go with the bridgers I would go with the specials... I have read of a bunch of people having coon pull outs with the regulars. Also for land sets I like to use #1 coils and #11 longs to help cut down on chewing. Feel free to message me anytime. I am definitely not an expert but I will gladly share some of the things I have learned over the last two seasons... Hopefully some others will chime in on this subject

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 21:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You are going to get some chewing with coons no matter what brand of 1.5, and with double jaws or not. The 1.5 size is just too large still. You have to get down to a #1 sized trap with a double jaw before almost all chewing stops. Double jaws do reduce the area under the jaws for the coon to be able to chew, but in a 1.5 sized trap there is still plenty of room for a coon to chew. It is more for adding holding surface area, so that when they do chew, you still have a good portion of the foot held to where they can't pull out near as easy.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 23:45 
Trapper
Trapper

Welcome to the forum! I agree with the others if you use rebar go at least 18" cross staked for coyotes. I cross stake for coons too just to be safe and have went to all earth anchors for coyotes. Another good coon trap that hasn't been mentioned is a # 11 long spring, great holding power and smaller than a 1.5 coil.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2013, 05:55 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

coyote 1 wrote:
Welcome to the forum! I agree with the others if you use rebar go at least 18" cross staked for coyotes. I cross stake for coons too just to be safe and have went to all earth anchors for coyotes. Another good coon trap that hasn't been mentioned is a # 11 long spring, great holding power and smaller than a 1.5 coil.

Ditto on the #11s

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2013, 12:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
coyote 1 wrote:

Ditto on the #11s
X2

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2013, 20:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Regardless of the type of 1.5's you go with they will work great for pocket sets or blind sets on your creek! If you are worried about the coons chewing stake the trap in the crik with a "T" rebar stake or run your traps on a drowner cable.

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2013, 20:39 
Trapper
Trapper

I put my order in today after taking in all of the advice you guys gave me. I ended up spending 100 bucks more than originally planned because there is so much cool stuff to buy on FnT post and I looked through everything and there was always something I just had to have but I feel like I got everything I need now. Thanks for the advice everybody.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2013, 21:35 
Trapper
Trapper

Last year my uncle gave me a few duke #1.5's and I caught a truckload of big feral cats and a few coons in them. I was pretty impressed with the durability because they were out in some nasty ice storms and I would have to chip ice off of them but they always fired no matter what and had very little rusting when I pulled them in on the last day. Those cats gave'em hell too. One big tom got both traps on a double set, one on his front foot and one snapped directly on his testicles.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2013, 22:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

jermbonoutdoors wrote:
One big tom got both traps on a double set, one on his front foot and one snapped directly on his testicles.

Yup. Nuts. Always has to be the nuts.....

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2013, 00:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

HappyTrapper wrote:
jermbonoutdoors wrote:
One big tom got both traps on a double set, one on his front foot and one snapped directly on his testicles.

Yup. Nuts. Always has to be the nuts.....

So, that's what happened to Happy. That explains it!!!!!! :--o :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2013, 15:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Richard Murray wrote:
So, that's what happened to Happy. That explains it!!!!!!

You got it! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 17:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Today I welded up some 31 inch steel stakes with two washers on each. Is that long enough for coyotes or should I double stake?

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 22:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

That should be good, I wouldn't worry about double staking them unless your in really soft or sandy ground. It's a good insurence to double stake them though.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2013, 07:26 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

jermbonoutdoors wrote:
Today I welded up some 31 inch steel stakes with two washers on each. Is that long enough for coyotes or should I double stake?

That is the same stakes I use and have had no problem with coyotes pulling them out of the ground.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2013, 08:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

If you did feel like you wanted some extra insurance you could make your trap chain longer. That will also help keep them from pumping the stake out

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 20:36 
Trapper
Trapper

I got all my traps and equipment today. It was like Christmas all over again. Took me 20 minutes to set that dang Bridger 220 body grip. I guess im just a wimp but dang those springs are strong. I was drenched in sweat once i finally got it set but probably just cause its so hot outside :D That duke #4 was freakin huge. I bet if it snapped on my bare finger it would snap it like a Carrot but I've seen coyotes caught in them and they had no damage whatsoever. Anyways the traps are hanging outside now. I sprayed them real good with water and once they have some surface rust its time for boiling and walnut stain.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)