Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 08:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2007 Bow Kill
PostPosted: 07 May 2008, 18:19 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

My bow kill last year[img][img]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/benelli7979/DSC00058.jpg[/img][/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 May 2008, 19:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice buck banelli, how much did he weigh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 May 2008, 20:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

field dressed at i think 180 to 185 scale wasn't very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 May 2008, 21:28 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Mighty nice buck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 May 2008, 21:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That will put some meat in the freezer!! This season was my best so far as far as bucks go, here are a couple of pics of the 2 I tagged!

9 point Bow kill weighed 210 field dressed

11 point muzzleloader kill weighed 205 field dressed

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 May 2008, 07:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

dang illtrapper those are 2 nice wall hangers we can only kill one buck a year here. Congrats on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 May 2008, 15:40 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Alright IT2 and Benelli---knock it off---y'all are starting to make me want to become a Sportsman instead of a hunter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 May 2008, 15:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice bucks everybody. Last year I didn't have any luck with the bucks. I got a nice sized doe during rifle season, but no buck last year.

Coon: 5
Grinner: 4

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 May 2008, 21:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We can only take 2 bucks a year no matter what weapon is used, we can however take as manny does as one can eat. How about some details on your hunt benelli? This is the first year in 23 years of hunting I have filled both buck tags. You know swamp I am truley blessed that I have the property to hunt that I have, with all the BS ( people trying to lease property out from under you, tress passers, lost hunting ground due to outfitters, etc) that has been going on around here lately I have lost some of the fire I had for deer hunting, but what I've lost there has been replaced with the desire to trap more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 May 2008, 21:46 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

You go Man.....nothing like being multi-talented! You are truly lucky and blessed to have enough propery to hunt on plus some mighty fine bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 May 2008, 21:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You know swamp my biggest fear is that my 3 year old son will not be able to experiance the outdoors the way that I have, with the shape Illinois is in the future for our youth doesn't look too brite! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 May 2008, 22:20 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I hear you IT2, nothing is for certain in the future. Not to talk politics, but as a hunter and trapper I worry about the upcoming election and the CHOICE the American people are going to make. I admit we have a very SHALLOW POOL of choices.....let's just pray the right one is elected. I fear that not only your child will be unable to enjoy the outdoors, but with the wrong person in office we may ALL lose those rights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 May 2008, 07:30 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Illtrapper, that was the biggest buck i have ever killed and got it with my bow. This deer i had watched grow for 2 years, i have his sheds from last year. I think it was about a 5 or 4 year old, but just got big in the past years. I am usually not a horn hunter but this one was special. It also has made me not want to shoot any more bucks. use 2 i would kill what ever came by the stand but now only does for me. I will let the others go. We have enough does here that i could walk out the door and wack one with a hammer. I 2 am leaning more to trapping harder than normal now. because i think it might be a little hard to get another around here that big. We have trouble with poachers and every tom dick and harry killing everything in site. I think if you want meat shoot does i think they taste better anyway. By the way i dont mean to affend anyone buy that its just my choice. We to are loosing ground in huge lots to outfitters. The places that i use to hunt are no longer able to hunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 May 2008, 08:06 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

benelli- You are correct with the statement that doe do taste better! And I am sure you are correct about letting certain sized bucks "walk". In the area of southeast Texas where I do most of my deer hunting, you will not be very successful if you allow many to "walk". We have heavy underbrush as you can see in the attached photo. We have to cut "shooting lanes" and that is sometimes the only window of opportunity you have for getting a deer. Our hunting season allows 2 buck/2 doe. The doe season is about 3 weeks at the first of season. But in Texas you have different bag limits according to county. I think what ever works in your area is fine and even if some folks tend to be "horn hunters" on my lease, that is fine with me....leaves more for me to have an opportunity to get a shot at. I admit, the pictures of the ones you and IT2 have posted makes me consider the thought of becoming a "horn hunter".....not! :wink: They are some fine looking bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 May 2008, 12:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I agree with both of you does do tast better, I am not a horn hunter either,I have been letting young bucks walk for years and sooting does to put meat in the freezer! My way of looking at it is if you shoot a young buck you will never get to see what his potential is not to mention shooting bucks does nothing to help controll the population, I was just blessed to be able to take these 2 this year. Benelli to be able to get a deer that you have been watching for a couple of years is a great thrill, dont bet on not being able to get one bigger, when the rut comes in you never know what will show up! Thanks for sharing the pic!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 May 2008, 14:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

man swamp that is some thick stuff is all of your hunting are like that? Might be a good place for a tower stand or something. Its good to see all the pictures from you guys i like to see different hunting areas. I wish i had a digital camera to take more pics around here to show yall. That picture was taken with a cell phone from a buddy of mine and sent it to me in a email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 May 2008, 17:20 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Not all woods in southeast Texas look that thick, but on our lease it is pretty much like that unless you want to hunt a pipeline right of way or maybe an old road. There are some log sets and they allow you a little more "space" for watching. About the only time you are going to see a nice buck like the one you have posted will be during rut. Now trying to figure when the rut will take place is the $64,000.00 question down here where it is warm most of the time. A few years ago I hunted my stand that was in a pin oak flat (that was before RITA the hurricane came throught and destroyed the flat). I hunted most every day, morning and evening for 3 weeks and never fired a shot. On a Friday I broke camp and went home. Saturday my eldest son hunted the same stand for 2 hours and 16 minutes and shot a ten point...the largest buck killed in the club that season. I believe in the 4R's of deer hunting"
1) being in the RIGHT place
2) at the RIGHT time
3) looking the RIGHT direction
4) making the RIGHT shot

If any of the four R's aren't there, it won't be a successful hunt. My son said he had a window of "seconds" to establish the deer was a buck and shoot. We have lots of pine thickets and pine plantations that are very near impenatrable (sp very thick) with briars and under brush. Our lease is owned by a timber company and they deal in pine trees. So therefore they clear cut most all the hardwoods and then replant with pine seedlings. I wish it wasn't that way, but they do own the land. That is why the loss of the pin oak flat was so devastating to the ones of us who hunted it. It was very long and wide and a natural "funnel" for moving deer. Clear cuts don't product too well until some brush and trees start to get large enough to allow cover for the deer. This past season my eldest son took a nice buck on opening morning from a stand he has bordering an old brushy clear cut. He had been seeing lots of doe and yearlings prior to season opening. A couple of days after season opened the timber company sent their contractors in with their "plowing" machines and disked up all the old brushy clear cuts and then sprayed them. A few day after that, the tree planters arrived and set seedlings out for several days......my son never saw another deer from that stand for the remainder of the season. Give it a couple of years and it will once again be good for a few years until the pine saplings get too large to see over. We just have to make do with what we have. The only thing that seperates our lease from the deer on the next lease, which is a Management Club....they have TROPY restrictions and are suppose to have very large deer....is a barbed wire fence. So, we should have some very good deer coming to and from the management club. I haven't seen any reports of unusually large bucks taken in our club. Long answer to your short question.....our woods are pretty thick. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 May 2008, 09:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

benelli, the 11 point was also my biggest buck so far although I have had chances at bigger bucks that didn't work out, like swamp said the 4 R,s weren't in place or they were and I blew it :oops: :x

This buck was shot in 2005, the first I took with a hand gun. Not 5 minutes after I shot this deer a monster 13 point walked by on the same trail as this one, he looked up at me as if to acknowledge he knew I only had 1 buck tag then proceeded to walk up to this deer put his head down and thrash the heck out of the already dead deer. After he was satisfied he went down the draw and made a scrape and walked out of my life. Never have seen that deer again. The 11 point was killed on the same property, as you can see this property is a cattle pasture with about 5 acres of timber on it, the great thing about this property is that it is borderd by a highway on 1 side an about 100 acres of set aside on the other, so there is always different deer showing up. Like swamp said you just have to be there when they show up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 May 2008, 19:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Illtrapper looks like another great deer for you. The p[lace that you are hunting must have some really good genetics around it to get those big whitetails. Oh yeah your son looks right at home with the handgun. I think he might follow in your footsteps just a little. :D :D

Last edited by benelli7979 on 12 May 2008, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 May 2008, 21:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

benelli, we definitelly have some good bucks around here, this buck is a 6 pointer but had to be at least 3 years old and weighed 220 pounds. The thing is we didn't really hunt this property all that much becaus we we could hunt next door on a property that has the set aside and over 80 acres of timber. There could be up to 5 differant people hunting here at any time and the deer were educated for the most part. A couple of the guys would shoot every deer that walked by, and quite a few were 1-2 year old bucks. It didn't take long for this to take it's toll, there were still big bucks around but it got to the point that there was very little scrapeing or tree rubbing going on, I'm sure this was due to very little competition for does to breed due to fewer bucks. Anayway that property got sold and we were out so were the others, but we could still hunt the pasture next door. We kind of lost intrest in that place as we gained permission across the way which is all timber, which we hunted hard for a couple of seasons. The guy that bought the other property broke out the dozer and started to clear out some of the timber we used to hunt, this was hard to take but what can you do! Anyway this had a big affect on the deer and they started to use the cattle pasture more. Since we didn't hunt there much and the other guys moved on the bucks got a chance to age a little and I have seen more big bucks there in the last 3 seasons than I have in the last 20 years! I guess this is just a long winded way to say if you let the little bucks walk and shoot does for the freezer your chances to take a mature buck will go way up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2008, 12:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

those are some nice deer good job

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2008, 15:07 
Trapper
Trapper

first turkey
3rd buck

I love Uncle Ted :)