Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 17:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2013-2014 hunting season
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2013, 09:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Figured Id start a topic for this years hunting season (since our season already opened :mrgreen: )

First hunting trip of the season was Tuesday morning, and I took a few pictures with my phone so you northerners can see what us southern folks deal with :roll:

I was sitting in a treestand with my crossbow, and heres to my left--

and my right--
The white stuff on the ground is a salt pile, and theres a feeder behind it (we had to replace the lid with a white one since the coons somehow stole the original one :shock: ) Hard to tell in the picture, but the feeder is only about 30 yards from my stand.

It was a foggy morning, so combined with the lousy camera on my phone, the pictures aren't the best, but they'll do :roll: Oh, and it was a hot day too :x We went fishing afterwards and saw more deer fishing than while hunting. We saw I think about 5 does, even during the heat of the day around 12:30 :shock: Figured they would be layed up in the shade, but guess not. We set some banklines while fishing hoping for catfish or softshell turtle, but all we caught were some nasty mudfish (bowfin) :evil:

So it was an uneventful first trip, but we have plenty of time left in the season :mrgreen:

Oh, and I did have a picture of infront of my stand, but accidentally deleted it while going through the pictures on my phone :oops:

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2013, 09:50 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Blurry pictures are better than no pictures. Thanks for posting them, my eldest son hunting in woods like that while he was living in Crestview FL several years back.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2013, 10:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That is some pretty terrain, lot better than what we got here but that may be because I am use to it. Good luck in the deer hunting, hope you get one soon :D

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2013, 12:12 

Neat pics Lox. It just goes to show you how laws vary from state to state. Your set up is highly illegal here in PA. You cannot use salt, bait or any kind of feeders for hunting here If any of that stuff is found within 50 yards of your stand. it's a $250.00 fine and you lose your hunting privileges for 1 year. You can use it during any other time of the year outside of hunting season for trail cam purposes but any type of bait must be removed 20 days prior to the season.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2013, 14:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks Swamp.

CMJ- eh, its just woods to me. But, that's probably because Im used to it :roll: It aint nothing like what the rest of yall live in though.

That's true Rick. Here, even though bait is allowed for deer, you cannot hunt turkeys within 100 yards of bait. So at this spot, we'd have to let any turkeys walk on by. This is more of a deer and hog area anyways.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2013, 11:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wow the only seasons open for us right now is varmint season. Goose season starts in september along with our 4 day moose season then duck in October I think. Deer starts in october or November i never know since I'm too young to hunt deer in Canada -.- We can use bait for deer moose bear or whatever except for waterfowl. So its happened where people will be hunting geese or ducks in a spot another person wanted to hunt, so the person that wanted to hunt there would go up and throw a bucket of corn on the ground and call the wardens.

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36