Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 May 2013, 19:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Release from NAFA. That will help out for most trappers.

http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -sched.pdf

PostPosted: 03 May 2013, 21:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Very interesting news

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 04 May 2013, 07:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well they very likely screwed us over :evil:

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 04 May 2013, 20:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

cat-man-jr wrote:
Well they very likely screwed us over :evil:

Care to explain your opinion?????. Just wondering why you would say that

PostPosted: 04 May 2013, 21:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

It is mainly how the last receiving dates are going to fall. If they schedule the last receiving dates for the April auction at the beginning of March like they normally would, that completely cuts out our chances of getting many beaver in until the June sale (our beaver season extends to March 31st, which our beaver don't start getting worth doing anything with until mid to late February). Not a lot of time to catch and put up many beaver in two weeks or less. With the amount of fur that will have gotten to the buyers before the June auction, the brunt of the beaver we would catch would very likely go for little to nothing. As it is, it is looking like we will be sending in furs after the April auction, but will be specifying that they do not sell them in the June auction, we want them to hold them till the next years February auction. Just doesn't work out well for us.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 04 May 2013, 21:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I can see your point CMJ. To be curious I called my NAFA rep to ask him when the pick up would be for the April sale. He said shortly after the Feb sale. In no way would that give you time for your beaver. But the rest of your furs like cats, coon and yote in most cases you would have done and could forward to auction. This new sale date I would think would better suit more of you southern boys because of your late start into prime trapping and not have to wait till June for a paycheck.

PostPosted: 04 May 2013, 21:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah, we aren't worried about anything but the beaver and otter if the season happens to last that long (which it never does). Everything else we aren't worried about, got plenty of time for them all.

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 07:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

thanks sir...

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 15:07 
Trapper
Trapper

Wolf(or anyone else)...... Why does NAFA want 3 auctions?? I'm sure they have their reasons but just curious as to why.
Wouldn't spreading all the fur over 3 auctions "water down" the auctions a little and have not quite as many buyers at them?? Will there be nearly as many buyers at the June sale compared to the first?

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 16:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Westside wrote:
Wolf(or anyone else)...... Why does NAFA want 3 auctions?? I'm sure they have their reasons but just curious as to why.
Wouldn't spreading all the fur over 3 auctions "water down" the auctions a little and have not quite as many buyers at them?? Will there be nearly as many buyers at the June sale compared to the first?

Honestly, you've hit on something that NAFA probably doesn't want to talk about all that much. From what I have seen, NAFA is saying they are doing the third sale because of increased fur quantities. Now they may not be able to handle all that many furs at one time with the increased amount of furs coming in, but I highly doubt it. Might be that they don't have enough room to accomodate the number of representatives from the numerous buyers, but again, I highly doubt it. They are going to continue to have large quantities of fur, which is going to draw a lot of buyers. But you are right, not having as many furs at one time will mean that there aren't as many buyers there at the auction. For the June auction, in all reality, will very likely be the worst of the auctions. Reason being, there are two auctions before it that are going to put out a butt load of furs. Most garment makers orders for fur are going to be filled, which means they aren't in as near of high of a demand, which equals lower prices. From what I've heard, the June auction was/is to mainly be a spring beaver/rat auction. Rats will probably still do okay, but the beaver are a different story. They aren't an article that is in real high demand right now, and most orders will be filled in the early auctions. Not a good outlook in my opinion. That is probably why any furs after the April auctions last receiving date of ours (beaver with a chance of otters), will probably be held over till the next Feb. auction.

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 18:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Probably none of you would know but at one time both auction houses had 4 sale's a year. December was the first and you had a cheque a week before Christmas which was nice. Mostly fall beaver and muskrat and some long hair. End of January first part of February was the next sale and was early winter fur. March was the third sale which was full winter fur and then May which was spring fur, beaver and rats. The volume of fall fur was not always great so that was the first sale to be shut down. Next sale was the January sale, economics. Move the sale date to Feb and have much more fur and less cost, but that was not good for many of you who trapped in the south. Thus today they only have an internet sale in January. That leaves 2 sales left, The Feb sale and last of May or early June sale. The Feb sale has always been the go to sale for the best results on your fur and in most cases the late May or early June sale was 10 to 20 % less on fur value. 41 years this year of me shipping fur to the auction houses and I can honestly say that it is a 1 in 5 chance that the May sale will be better.

Ok now onto volume of fur. NAFA has more then enough space for all the fur that comes into the auction house and has off property buildings as well that are all designed with coolers to handle very large amounts of fur. The problem lies in fur graders. They are in limited supply and is not something that one can learn in a few short years. Because Nafa also deals in ranch fur you can add another 3 to 4 million furs that have to be graded in 6 weeks in just mink alone never mind the ranch fox. Then their is the drumming. The place is 24/7 before auction, but they got the job done. Fur Harvester does not even come close to the numbers that Nafa puts through and I fear they had a poor collection of fur again this year which Nafa picked up. Next year will be worse for Fur Harvester again in my opinion. We do need both of the auction houses.

If anyone checks the European fur sales, you will plainly see that Russian sable went down 10% in the April sale few weeks back. That is a good indication that the fur buyers are now close to filling their needs and the market will be more weak when the late May/June sale comes. The fur market is softening. So by Nafa offering a April sale I would think that your best interest is at hand. Most of you do not take prime fur till late December maybe even later so having your fur sold on the April sale if you cannot make the Feb sale I figure would be more an asset to you all. I can only see that as being more to your benefit with still some healthy prices. The late June sale is for muskrat and beaver mainly and that will be hit and miss. For myself those two sales in Feb and April will be the ones to attend if you have fur. And you know if you don't like the June sale just send your fur in and tell them to hold over till following year They have all the facilities to keep your fur in cold storage at no cost to you. Plus you can free up your freezer for fish and other such goodies.

In my opinion this is a good thing, especially for the lower 48.