PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 15:29 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

What type of cable stake would be good for yote and fox and what length

Post subject: Re: cable stake
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 15:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I guess it really depends on what attributes you are wanting. There are conduit stakes, berkshires, pogo's, wolf fang's, fox hollows, and more. Each have their own pluses and minuses, however they all work. Length more depends on what kind of ground you are in. If you are in softer dirt, might want to go closer to a 20-24" stake, just normal ground that isn't soft but isn't hard, 15-18", and for very hard ground probably close to 12", maybe a little shorter.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 16:55 
Trapper
Trapper

The best system i have found is fox hollows finned super stakes with 18 inches of chain. Regular super stakes are good also but the finned have a retrieval boss on them. The advantage of chain over cable is you can vary the depth you drive it in and not have cable sticking up.Both of these are tough stakes and will last a long time if you remove them at the end of the season. Like CMJ said they all work, these are just my preference.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 20:21 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I set up conduit stakes with 18" of 1/8" cable, used to use the same length in 3/32" but the bigger is more durable and tougher for Johnny Sneakum to cut, yet not impossible. I am really getting interested in the fox holler anchors with chain though.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 23:22 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

thanks for the info i think i am going to try the finned stakes with chain so i don't have to have different lengths of cable.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 01:08 
Trapper
Trapper

jase wrote:
coyote 1 wrote:
The best system i have found is fox hollows finned super stakes with 18 inches of chain. Regular super stakes are good also but the finned have a retrieval boss on them. The advantage of chain over cable is you can vary the depth you drive it in and not have cable sticking up.Both of these are tough stakes and will last a long time if you remove them at the end of the season. Like CMJ said they all work, these are just my preference.

I thought about the finned type, but there were some things for me that came into play to deter me from them. I didn't know how hard it would be to deal with the retrieval cable in or around the trap bed and it sticking up and out of the anchors hole. The other question, has more to do with trap theft. For me, one of the biggest reasons for using fox hollows with chain, is to further deter theft. With a retrieval cable sticking up for johnny to find, I felt like there was a much greater likelihood of them finding it, and pulling on it, and if they do, it's bye bye MB. So I will just pull or dig the regular one's up. Sucks to have to make my life harder in the field, just to make it harder on a thief too.

This is true, the retreival cable is a pain if you don't drive them all the way in. Thought about useing chain for that too. Knock on wood i have never had a trap stolen. Trap all private land and put up signs ( trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again) due to unavailability of ammo i will be aiming more carefully :D No repeat offenders this way. :twisted:

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 06:42 
Trapper
Trapper

I ran several doz super stakes last season and I like them the best. I have them setup with 15 in. of #2 chain and my newest ones have #3 chain. in my soils they have a ton of holding power... almost too much sometimes. also I have a hard time getting a driver for them to last anytime at all. I have made several out of 1/2 rebar and bought the one made for them... neither lasted more than a couple doz drives... all my coon and water traps are going to be setup with chained wolf fangs or dirt dogs for next year.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2013, 10:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

There is a fell who does amasing trap mods, he is a real artist with a wielder, and he started selling hardend drivers awhile back, if they are half as good as his traps I bet they would last a good long time. I got him to build a pan for a trap I was reserecting from the junk pile and he made it, and shipped it all the way up to me an wouldn't take a dime for it, heck of a nice guy. If you google this you should find him Dufresne Custom Trap Modification But be warned you will want lots of his other goodies once you start lookin, I saw an another site he is makin a wield on dogless/big pan set up for dls traps, to cool.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2013, 10:51 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

That sounds SWEEET Fuzz! I think dogless dls traps would be awesome! :D I'm gonna have to look him up.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2013, 11:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ya I have bean thinkin of callin him to, if the price isn't to prohibitive, I can see some of my old traps werein that set up. I know the hole trappin world revolves around coil springs but I just cant help myself, I like the old dls traps, and in certan situations they are better, and they work in the rest just fine too :mrgreen: I hear a lot of fellas whining and (Hey, I am talking about a female canine here) abou the size of the trap bead for dls, but I use a 3lb hammer with a blade wielded on one end of it to cut out my trap bed, and it only takes 2 or 3 extra swings of my hamer to make a bed to fit tem, and if a fat old outa shape trapper like me can swing a hamer 3 extra times surly these young supper star internet trappers should b able to do it just fine :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2013, 08:24 

I buy the fox hollow originals and recycle snares that have made catches. Much of our soil is clay and 8 or 10 inches in that stuff will hold a wolf, as well as anything else out there (dunno about bears though). One of the things I like the most, is how light the system is. I had been using all cross stake rebar 24" long...adds alot of weight and can be awkward to carry. I still run into situations where rebar is the way to go, but they are getting fewer and fewer as I find more locations. Chain sounded like a good way to go, especially since it is tougher for johnny sneakum, instead of cable, but that gets back into weight again.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2013, 17:41 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

jase wrote:
fuzz269 wrote:
Ya I have bean thinkin of callin him to, if the price isn't to prohibitive, I can see some of my old traps werein that set up. I know the hole trappin world revolves around coil springs but I just cant help myself, I like the old dls traps, and in certan situations they are better, and they work in the rest just fine too :mrgreen: I hear a lot of fellas whining and (Hey, I am talking about a female canine here) abou the size of the trap bead for dls, but I use a 3lb hammer with a blade wielded on one end of it to cut out my trap bed, and it only takes 2 or 3 extra swings of my hamer to make a bed to fit tem, and if a fat old outa shape trapper like me can swing a hamer 3 extra times surly these young supper star internet trappers should b able to do it just fine :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

What about an older, fatter, and MORE outta shape trapper? 3 Xtra swings per trap would put me in cardiac arrest! :lol:

All this talk about Outta Shape Trappers and a 3# Trap Line Hammer got me to thinking....maybe I should build one....not sure why....this sandy soil doesn't take much effort...but I built one anyhow. Used the end of a utility pole anchor, an old leaf spring and a link of chain. Still needs a bit of modifications but it should do the trick.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2013, 17:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Do you think that will work to bust through all the frost you guys have down there?! :D Looks good!

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2013, 19:38 

another creation floweth! that looks like it has many years of service to provide Swamp! nice!!

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2013, 08:23 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

jase wrote:
A heads up to my swamp rat friend,,,,I am guessing the cabel end you used to be cast or pot metal? I hope the welded area doesn't crack, as that stuff don't weld worth a darn as far as strength goes. I think about your only good chance to make it hold under the stress of hammering is to use nickel rod with an arch welder. Even then, it's not a long lasting deal for stressed instances.

It is very heavy Jase and seems to be galvanized steel. I ground off the galvanized coating prior to welding. As stated earlier, I really don't have a need for such a digging tool, just needed another project. :wink:

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2013, 09:03 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I know that I am the least qualified person on this site to voice an opinion but I would like to share what this 67 year old rookie found totally amazing.

I caught my first coyote yesterday, using a MB 550 staked with a preassembled 15" Wolf Fang anchor, in a dry pond bed. About 1-2" below the surface, the ground is wet and sandy. I dug a small area about 3" deep and drove the anchor as deep as I could so when I "set" the anchor, the swivel at the end of the trap chain was bearly above the hole.

When I checked the trap, the coyote had devastated all the ground around the trap. I couldn't even find my dirthole but to my amazement, the anchor did not budge one inch" I would have guessed that with that much pulling and struggling, in that soft ground, the anchor would have at least pulled up a few inches.

I believe that the anchor could have held a horse!

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2013, 09:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

They will hold horses, I was showin a friend of mine how hard they were to pull with a quad winch, stood th qouad righ up on its nose :mrgreen: He sas that would work great for hoblin horses in the mountans with no were on their feet, so I made him a driver and 2 doz ancores, he loves them, when he ties off his horses they are still there in the morning. Might be sellin som of his fiends a few more sets buy the sounds of it lol

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2013, 13:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep, all the earth anchors I have used are all like that. Part of the reason is because the animal is pulling off to a side instead of straight up, so the anchor really isn't feeling much pressure. You pull straight up on that anchor it will move several inches till it sets, then it won't go anymore.

Had one time where a couple of would be trap thieves happened upon our sets one time. We had caught a pair of yotes when it was somewhat wet and they tore the crap out of the ground and made big catch circles. I believe that is how they seen the set areas. Anyway, these two yahoos apparently tried to yank our traps out with their quads and they couldn't get it done. Then later on, they appeared to be on their way to try and pull them out with their jeep, luckily we got there before they did......I bet the anchor would have won. Course, I should have told them to hook it to an axle or something important, and take a running start at it :twisted:

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 20:43 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

You may have gotten a bumper with a license plate. :lol: :lol: