Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 02:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2013, 17:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well the forum has really slowed down now that most folks have hung up the traps for the season so I thought I would start a thread about what your plans are for the off season. I want to know what you are ordering, are you dying and waxing, are you going to pre-rig anything for efficiency, are you making bait, catching bait, modifying traps, making dry dirt?? I know for me this will be my first season doing the whole wax and dye thing. Is there a certain type of weather I should wait for to do this? Alright let's hear it, what are you guys up to?

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2013, 18:05 
Trapper
Trapper

I plan on baseplating and 4 coiling all coyote traps , ordering dz more traps , making wax dirt in july - aug and dye and wax 1st or 2nd week of sept. No certain time to do anything accept wax dirt has to be hot out to melt wax other than that i just tinker with stuff when i have time. I noticed this is your first year for dye & wax just a heads up a pot of pure wax is much better than melting it in your dye. Lots of scouting also just got permission for two more farms to trap in addition to my usual places can never have too many places to trap.Also have to paint body grip traps.

Last edited by coyote 1 on 11 Apr 2013, 22:20, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2013, 19:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

No trap prep yet. Wife has other plans for me. After those are complete then I can worry about opening some new trails.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2013, 20:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Oh boy, lets see if I can remember all of this. Just got through buying another dozen MB650 unlaminated and a dozen 330 LDL mags. Before long we should also be buying some Bridger 1.75's to use in areas of higher trap theft possibilities. As far as new traps I think that is it. Then we got to dye and wax all the footholds for cat's, yotes and fox and the DP's (we didn't use any of the #11's for coons this year). I think total that is like 7 dozen traps to do that too. Then we will probably paint all the coni's that need it, which is several, then will likely dip them in something like full metal jacket. We also got to finish up the super stake set ups on the MB's and Montana's, then we need to make up stakes for the DP's if they don't have them and any for the drowners on our coon set ups (we are actually going to be going after coons next year). Then we got to get the new fur shed set up and all the stuff moved from storage upstairs, to out in the shed. Then later on in the early fall we got to get out and scout for coons, cat, and rats, punch in drowners where needed, make up our fences for blocking on the coon sets. There is a bunch more to do than that, but that is just a start.......why am I trapping again? This thing is work :roll:

The best time to dye is really any time, there isn't any special conditions really required for that. Waxing is a different story. Like Coyote1 stated, doing a pot of just wax makes the best results for waxing traps. If you do it like this, you want little to no wind and do it outside. We have found for even better results is to do it in the summer, not fun because of the heat, but it makes the prettiest, thinnest, and hardest, wax. Oh, and as a side note, don't waste your money on the colored waxes, they are kind of a scam really.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2013, 09:17 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Outside of a ton of home improvement projects, I am hoping to mod my duke 160's to the point they can no longer warrant being called duke. :evil: Then maybe pick up some dp traps to play with this season, non duke ones at that. I am seeing the duke dp's out in local farm stores lately and they are running in the $20 each range. :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh yes, and I'm gonna do a bit of bow fishing to make fish oil, hopefully kill a turkey or 2 and get Boo one as well if I can get ahold of a gun she can handle well. Also get her shooting my 222 so she is used to a scope in prep for deer season. :--D

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2013, 21:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well I dont even know were to start :shock: I have to laminate 2 doz old victor #3 os a nabor gave me, and add #3 piano wire springs and beefy spring kits to them. I think I made a deal on 3 doz #3 ls so they will all nead to be os, base plated,lamed and new chains, plus dye wax. I also have about a doz odd ball traps of difrent kinds to lam get coyote ready. I want to mod a bunch more 110 with a spike, to make them just stab and set rat traps. Oh ya and I waxed a dirty bigpileof wolf and coyote trap last year when it was too cold and the wax isn't holdin the way I want so I will be redoin them to. I have toma some more beaver tail lure and might just try putting up some dry dirt too.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 15:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Buy a dozen 220s, a dozen 110s, 6 1 1/2 ls and then wax all those, plus the traps I alredy have. Then do some scouting

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 16:37 

I just cleaned up the fur shed last week, I finally pressure washed all of my traps and put them away for a couple of months. Some slow summer evening, I'll get out all of the traps and boil them up and wax for the upcoming season. Sometimes it tends to be a bit too hot during the summer to do this but to get me in the mood, I'll listen to a Canadian Football League game on the radio since they start at the end of June and root for the official team of WAT, the Saskatchewan Roughriders, right TT? :D

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 14:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'll listen to a Canadian Football League game on the radio since they start at the end of June and root for the official team of WAT, the Saskatchewan Roughriders, right TT? :D

The mean green machine. Think TT is a Hamilton tie Cats fan :P