Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 01:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2013, 20:19 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I was doing some research on trappin before I attempt it and I wanted to start for squirrel since they are everywhere and I could learn about skinning so I dont end up messing up a pelt that is worth something.

I emailed the Texas wildlife department to find out if there was a season and the guy said hunting squirrel is open season all year long cept for east Texas but you cant use any form of trap when harvesting. Apparently any gun or bow is fine though. Are there any other states like this? What do yall recommend for a person starting to trap? (Trapwise and target animal wise). What about skinning knives can yall recommend one that will last for years?

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 07:30 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Everything Jase said is good advice. Also, where I live, it is illegal to trap squirrels. They can be taken during squirrel season, but only with guns (maybe bows, not sure)

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 07:56 

Welcome to the site! Yes, it's important to check your laws. But, you may want to start out with furbearers like Jase mentioned. The only squirrel pelts that have any value are the red squirrel and that tends to be a more northern / Canadian item. I'm not sure if they still buy them but Mepps fishing lures used to buy squirrel tails.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 08:06 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Jamesconn wrote:
I was doing some research on trappin before I attempt it and I wanted to start for squirrel since they are everywhere and I could learn about skinning so I dont end up messing up a pelt that is worth something.

I emailed the Texas wildlife department to find out if there was a season and the guy said hunting squirrel is open season all year long cept for east Texas but you cant use any form of trap when harvesting. Apparently any gun or bow is fine though. Are there any other states like this? What do yall recommend for a person starting to trap? (Trapwise and target animal wise). What about skinning knives can yall recommend one that will last for years?

Welcome to WAT Jamesconn, where are you located in Texas and why would you want to trap anything other than in trapping season unless it was causing a problem? After all, Texas has a very long trapping season! But seasons for "hunting squirrels" can vary from county to county and this is how they are now listed:
Squirrel Seasons and Bag Limits

The following counties have open season for squirrel Oct. 1, 2012-Feb. 3, 2013 and May 1-31, 2013, with a daily bag limit of 10 squirrels.

Anderson Angelina Bowie Camp Cass Chambers Cherokee Delta Fannin Franklin Freestone Galveston Gregg Hardin Harris Harrison Henderson Hopkins Houston Hunt Jasper Jefferson Lamar Leon Liberty Limestone Marion Montgomery Morris Nacogdoches Navarro Newton Orange Panola Polk Rains Red River Robertson Rusk Sabine San Augustine San_Jacinto Shelby Smith Titus Trinity Tyler Upshur Van Zandt Walker Wood

The following counties have No closed season for squirrel, with a daily bag limit of 10 squirrels.

Brazos Burleson Collin Dallas Ellis Falls Grayson Grimes Kaufman Madison Milam Rockwall

The following counties have no open season for squirrel.

Andrews Bailey Borden Brewster Briscoe Carson Castro Cochran Crane Culberson Dallam Dawson Deaf Smith Ector El Paso Floyd Gaines Glasscock Hale Hansford Hartley Hockley Howard Hudspeth Hutchinson Jeff Davis Lamb Loving Lubbock Lynn Martin Midland Moore Oldham Parmer Potter Presidio Reagan Reeves Sherman Swisher Terry Upton Ward Winkler Yoakum

The remainder of the state has no closed season, no bag limit.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 08:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trapperrick wrote:
Welcome to the site! Yes, it's important to check your laws. But, you may want to start out with furbearers like Jase mentioned. The only squirrel pelts that have any value are the red squirrel and that tends to be a more northern / Canadian item. I'm not sure if they still buy them but Mepps fishing lures used to buy squirrel tails.

Welcome to WAT. Like TR said the red squirrel is the one that the auction houses sell.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 12:14 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Squirrel pelts are selling on eBay pretty well. One was going for $88. I will probably have to wait till atleast 2014 to trap.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 14:43 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

About that skinnin knife, I have a Dexter Russel serrated skinner that has held it's own in my skinnin shed for a couple years, I have been able to touch it up, but my steel is too big to do a good job of sharpening it well. I recently aqcuired a Mora knife. It is very reasonable in price and dang sharp. It has a fixed carbon steel blade vs stainless so it may wear quickly but I can't wait to try it out next season. Mine looks kinda like this one, but older.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mora-Clipper-Co ... 5d3c21086c

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.