Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 08:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: black bear hunting in WV
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2013, 18:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have always wanted to hunt black bear, but i'm not sure where to go in my great state of WV. I've heard the mountain counties (eastern WV) are full of bear. You guys on the site who live in WV care to give me some pointers on bear hunting? I dont have access to private land so it will be public land, as in the thousands of acres of national forest in the mountains. Where will be the best place to go? You cant have fourwheelers on public land, so I was thinking that I could skin and quarter the bear and carry out the pieces, that sound ok?

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2013, 21:02 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

CoonGitter wrote:
I have always wanted to hunt black bear, but i'm not sure where to go in my great state of WV. I've heard the mountain counties (eastern WV) are full of bear. You guys on the site who live in WV care to give me some pointers on bear hunting? I dont have access to private land so it will be public land, as in the thousands of acres of national forest in the mountains. Where will be the best place to go? You cant have fourwheelers on public land, so I was thinking that I could skin and quarter the bear and carry out the pieces, that sound ok?

You got dogs Coongitter ?

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2013, 21:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

no dogs, it would be an archery kill or rifle kill

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2013, 21:17 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

CoonGitter wrote:
no dogs, it would be an archery kill or rifle kill

As you know, we can't bait. We have lots of bear here, but killing one without dogs or bait would be mostly luck, even though we have lots of them. If you want to take your chances and hunt the archery season, I can show you some good places to go to up your odds, but I can't guarantee you will get one.

If you want to hunt with dogs, you could come up in December and go with us. I can only hunt on the weekends, except for Christmas week, when I have a few more days off, but your odds will be better behind the dogs.

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 21:45 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

CoonGitter, take Doc up on the offer to go with his Gang and their dogs....an experience of a lifetime....and the locals may even talk to you, unlike how I was basically invisible to most of them. :roll: :lol: Really a great bunch of folks, beautiful country too.

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 13:06 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I found a place to hunt bear. I think the cranberry wma will be my best bet. Webster county and the surrounding counties have high bear kill rates according to the wv dnr big game bulletin. I am confident that I can kill a bear if I can find one and pattern its movements like I would bowhunt a deer :--D . So what are the habits of the black bear? I hear that like most animals they are most active during early morning and evening hours, but bear will move alot during the day in the fall while getting fat for the winter. I believe that if I find a food source such as soft mast (wild crabapple, persimon, wild pear trees, berries) or hard mast (nuts, acorns, or maybe a hillside covered in hickory trees) then I can find some trails and then set up and ambush one as its coming to feed. I'm going scouting in my new area in a few weeks, i'm hoping I can find some bear tracks or scat on the many gravel roads that cris cross the place. Those of you that have bowhunted bear, have any pointers on how to pattern these animals? Black bears remind me of raccoons, they get fat in the fall, have a layer of fat and they hibernate when it gets cold but will move around during a warm spell.

8 Raccoons

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 19:29 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Good luck coongitter. Never hunted there but hear good things about it. Find the food and you will find bear.

PostPosted: 27 May 2013, 19:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I shot my muzzloader yesterday, its a T/C 54 caliber hawken. I was shooting roundball with 90 grains of powder, and I can hit a grapefruit at 75 yards. My limit is 50 yards because I don't know if that roundball has enough energy at 75 yards to do the job. I was thinking about buying some sabots and conical type bullets to try to extend my range. Any thoughts on this? What kind of accuracy could I expect out of conical bullets? Does the round have enough energy at 75 to 100 yards to kill a bear (90 grains pyrdex). I will be using it to shoot black bear this fall. This Saturday i'm hitting the woods in the mountains to do some scouting, and to set up my trail camera :--D hopefully i'll see some bear sign.

8 Raccoons

PostPosted: 27 May 2013, 19:22 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

good luck CG. Keep us posted. Lots of bear getting into trouble here already. Gonna be an interesting year. ;--) ;--) :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 10:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Coongitter, a well placed .54 ball should do the job. Some folks take elk with that ball. However, that just my assumption from what I've learned from a lot of reading on the muzzleloading forum. Its a traditional muzzle loading forum, so feel free to ask questions there, really smart folks

PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 15:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Loxahatchee wrote:
Coongitter, a well placed .54 ball should do the job. Some folks take elk with that ball. However, that just my assumption from what I've learned from a lot of reading on the muzzleloading forum. Its a traditional muzzle loading forum, so feel free to ask questions there, really smart folks

You have a link to that website?

8 Raccoons

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2013, 19:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I went scouting today, and I found plenty of bear scat and some soft mast trees :--D

I'm thinking crabapple....

This one was weird, it was full of what I think is raccoon fur. Maybe scavenging, or killed a raccoon?

Scratch marks on a crabapple tree

I saw lots of this.....big rocks flipped over. The creek bottoms were like this. I have seen raccoons do this, but the rocks are too big for a raccoon to flip over.

This thread will be my bear hunting thread, whenever I go scouting or have a question about bears, this is where it will be posted. I'll keep everybody updated! I set a trail cam out.....if the bears don't destroy my camera I should have good pics :D. Looks like I found my bear hunting spot!

8 Raccoons

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2013, 21:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Heres a link to the forum list--- http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php

Non-forum members cant access all of the forums. You should probably ask your question ".54 caliber for black bear" or something like that, in the traditional hunting forum--- http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusio ... hp?fid/23/
Course, youll need to be a member to ask any questions. But its easy. Youll get a conformation email sent to you, and check your "spam" folder for the email if it doesnt show up in your regular inbox. That happened to me.

Good luck on your bear hunt!!