Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 02:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 15:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Jeff Piersol wrote:
Mark and Shannon, there are several reasons that a coyote won't work a set. First thing that comes to mind is was the set too loud or you have a dirty trap. Sometimes a coyote will visit a set but if the set is too loud he doesn't have to come close enough to actually work the set. He has his curiousity satisfied from a few feet away instead of having to work the set.

Second thing that comes to mind is perhaps a dirty trap. I noticed in your post that a coyote had rolled on a trap setting it off. That indicates possibly a dirty trap or the bedding was dirty causing a roll reaction.

Since the yotes are visiting your sets you are doing things right we just need to tweak a few things. I will help you anyway I can so just fire away with any questions you have.

I enjoyed your posts and pictures.
J

Jeff, when you say the set is to loud, what are you talking about? I read Shannon your post and it dawned on her that she had cleand out the mud and water from the dirt hole and may have dumped it above the hole. There would have been bait mixed in with the mud possible causing the yote to roll on it. Glad you mentioned that so she can get it in her head how carful you have to be. Should a trap be changed out aftert a catch? How do you clean it?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 15:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wannab wrote:
Jeff Piersol wrote:
Mark and Shannon, there are several reasons that a coyote won't work a set. First thing that comes to mind is was the set too loud or you have a dirty trap. Sometimes a coyote will visit a set but if the set is too loud he doesn't have to come close enough to actually work the set. He has his curiousity satisfied from a few feet away instead of having to work the set.

Second thing that comes to mind is perhaps a dirty trap. I noticed in your post that a coyote had rolled on a trap setting it off. That indicates possibly a dirty trap or the bedding was dirty causing a roll reaction.

Since the yotes are visiting your sets you are doing things right we just need to tweak a few things. I will help you anyway I can so just fire away with any questions you have.

I enjoyed your posts and pictures.
J

Jeff, when you say the set is to loud, what are you talking about? Too much scent means too hot or too loud. Remember the coyotes sense of smell is like 500 times better than ours so too much scent can turn him off. I read Shannon your post and it dawned on her that she had cleand out the mud and water from the dirt hole and may have dumped it above the hole. There would have been bait mixed in with the mud possible causing the yote to roll on it. I would imagine this is what happened. This could give a roll reaction. Glad you mentioned that so she can get it in her head how carful you have to be. Should a trap be changed out aftert a catch? How do you clean it?

Some guys disagree on this, but I don't after a catch, if I remake in the same set circle. The catch circle smells like the animal caught so the trap will too. I always kind of "scrub" the blood, saliva, etc off with some dirt. Now if you would move out of the set circle I then would pull out a new trap to reset. Sometimes on a re-make after a catch I will reset the trap back and then pull out a new trap and make a flat set or small peep hole set just off at the edge of the catch circle. For lure all I will use in this additional set is a small tuft of hair pulled from around the just caught coyotes anus. Stuff the hair down a peep hole, set your new trap and you will catch the old coyote that won't work the set.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 16:00 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

My dad was talking to a friend of his, and he mentioned a beaver problem he had in his pond. My dad told him that Shannon and I could trap them. He gave him our number and he called us. When he called I told him I did not have any beaver traps, but would be more than happy to set out there and shoot them. Well, last night we got there about 9pm and at 12 we left with 4 beaver, one weighing in at 50lbs, and one coon.

Ready to skin.

Shannon has never touched a beaver, much less skin one. Here she is in lesson number one.

Finished....don't she look happy?!?!? Haha, she told me not to put this pic on here.

Lmao, remember when Shannon said from now on she would skin the coons, and I had to skin the coyotes. Well, now she said I had to skin the beaver, and she would skin the coyotes. Hahaha.

Ok, I have never fleshed a beaver. I need any tips and pointers I can get. Plz.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 16:35 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Enjoy the popcorn for posting the pic. :roll:

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 17:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wow you put the hurt on those wood chippers. Good sharp fleshing knife and a lot of work.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 19:23 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

:lol: If you guys can't get them one way you use another! Great job....tell the little Lady she doesn't have to be so serious must because she stayed up all night hunting! :wink:

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 20:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice take on the beaver and coon. If it were me i would do the beaver and not the yote. To me beaver is a slice of cake compared to any k9. I have a beaver put up on the board but no fleshing demo on this site. Guess that will be my next project. Good luck to you both on your beaver put up.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 20:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

wolf1199 wrote:
Nice take on the beaver and coon. If it were me i would do the beaver and not the yote. To me beaver is a slice of cake compared to any k9. I have a beaver put up on the board but no fleshing demo on this site. Guess that will be my next project. Good luck to you both on your beaver put up.

Wolf, I will have to argue with you on the beaver being easier than the K9....lol I'll do 3 yotes faster than 1 beaver.
Are you saying you have a video on borading beaver??

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 21:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

What kind of turd is this?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 21:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wannab wrote:
wolf1199 wrote:

Wolf, I will have to argue with you on the beaver being easier than the K9....lol I'll do 3 yotes faster than 1 beaver.
Are you saying you have a video on borading beaver??

No i don't but i did a pic by pic for coongitter on boarding beaver. I think it is in the archives under skinning and fur handleing. I can skin a beaver in 10 minutes but cant even do a fox in that time. We will have to get together and swap our methods. :)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 21:56 

wannab wrote:
What kind of turd is this?

How'd it taste/smell? Any help would be appreciated. :wink:

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 22:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 22:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Now that was funny. I am sittin here bustin a gut. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 22:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

TT has a way with words and a canny wisdom and humor :--D

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 07:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

about how long is the turd, and how big around?

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 08:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

cat-man-jr wrote:

If my memory has not failed me, it was about 3" long and about as big around as your first finger. I think it's cat, but I do not see any hair, or bone.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 09:16 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wannab wrote:
cat-man-jr wrote:

If my memory has not failed me, it was about 3" long and about as big around as your first finger. I think it's cat, but I do not see any hair, or bone.

Wannab, if I were trapping in that area I would be setting for cats.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 09:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
wannab wrote:
cat-man-jr wrote:

Wannab, if I were trapping in that area I would be setting for cats.

I'm going back Tuesday for six days!! :--D :--D We found that turd on the last day Shannon and I were there, less than 50 yds from camp.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 09:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I won't say it's not cat, but that looks a little more like canine to me. Congrats on getting to go back, hope you do well. Good luck.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 11:16 

I vote cat cuz its about the right size and shape and there doesnt seem to be any hair in it....seems like up here all the canine poops have hair in them.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 19:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Poop obsessed people......only in trapping! :D

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 20:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

HappyTrapper wrote:

We are also the only people that look to our buddy and say, "here, smell this". If they gag, or step back and shout "WHOOOOH", we know it's ready

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 21:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

cat-man-jr wrote:
HappyTrapper wrote:

We are also the only people that look to our buddy and say, "here, smell this". If they gag, or step back and shout "WHOOOOH", we know it's ready

Russ that sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy."Aint nothin like a good stink". lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 22:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

jase wrote:
On the scat,,, I can tell you that I don't at all think it to be bobcat. Bobcat scat is segmented, and most often is more uniform in size, and has a rounded "body" shape instead of being slinky and tapered looking. I would lay odds to say I am 95% sure that it is not bobcat. I never have seen cat scat look like that, with the exception of material I removed from deep in the colon near the small intestine while taking gland material, so you could say that stuff wasn't quite done "cooking" yet. :lol:

I am not sure of it's origin besides that. I don't believe it to be red fox or coyote, as it's wrong for them too. However, it does closely resemble at least some of the grey fox scat I have been looking at, which is my best guess. Animals don't always eat a steady diet of any one thing, and often change their diet to match the season and what is available,,,, and none truer than with canines. That makes their scat unpredictable in looks and makes for tougher I.D. at times. With bobcats, their diet is so consistently the same, that the scat is much more uniform in look across the board.

Thank you professor poop….lol. Once again you taught me something and how to look at things analytically. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 22:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

With all that info i still like TT the best. Taste and smell will tell all :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next