Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 23:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 12:00 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 26 Oct 2008, 15:27
Posts: 397
Location: West Virginia
8) I have learned alot this trapping season, not just about trapping animals but about my fellow outdoorsman. The things that I have seen this season has, for the most part made me lose respect for other people I encounter in the outdoors. For example... back in November I caught a guy red handed trying to steal my 1.5 duke. The only reason he couldnt take it is cuz it was secured to a tree with aircraft cable with a tightned D link. He claimed I caught his dog in it and broke its foot, and I told him he was a liar cuz i check my traps everyday and I havent seen signs of a struggle, also I have never had a coon get its tiny foot broke in a trap so how could it break a big dogs foot. The guy said everyday he goes out and sets my trap off cuz he dont want me trapping there. I told him that was against the law and he started yelling and screaming saying he called the DNR to have charges pressed and blah blah blah. This was on public land and I had my permit in my pocket. He was on an ATV (illegal on public land) and i never saw the so called injured dog. I think I caught him in the act and he got pissed and made it all up. Even worse is that he is a trapper too and should know better. I have also been finding traps at the waters edge near the roadway where I walk that have no trap tags meaning people didnt get written permission to trap there. All the trouble I go through to get permission (mostly i get cussed, threatened, doors slammed in my face) just to have a guy go in front of me and set a trap. I had a guy back in the summer brag about how he snares deer and breaks their legs, ties the deer to a tree and sets traps around it to catch coyotes coming in for the kill :twisted: i mean who does that? He was an overweight guy and I asked him how he gets around to check his traps and he said he rides an ATV on public land (illegal but hey....who cares right?) he bragged about how he eludes the game warden and knows how to hide (moron) the guy had a huge ego. He would one-up everything i would say (like most hunters around here). I run into fellow trappers all the time and its funny the cold hard stares i get from them, its like they think they have more of a right to be there than I do. They will follow your tracks and find your traps and steal them as well. Its so bad, there was an article in the paper about people stealing other peoples deer. People hear the shot and they try to hurry and find your deer before you do so they can steal it. I'm starting to think most people in the woods are liars and thieves. There are good guys out there (you guys on this site included) but for the most part people are just trash.

_________________
Trapping season 14-15
6 Muskrat
1 Beaver
8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 13:55 
Offline
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS
User avatar

Joined: 03 Feb 2008, 12:18
Posts: 16404
Location: Lufkin, TX
CoonGitter I had to double check where you are located. Unless you are around a large town in WV or getting too close to a meth lab, I would think the nice rural folks of WV would be more understanding. I never have understood why folks just outright steal traps....other things they would never think of stealing, but a trap is like a magnet to them. I had some water sets stolen once, the kids took them to their parents and said some one had thrown them away in the creek. They never could figure why they were tied off! :roll: I knew the Dad and eventually got all of the traps back. Each situation has to be handled differently. If they others are doing illegal things where you are, report them. Report every incident or violation involving them or your equipment. Unless you run across a Game Warden like I spoke to earlier in the season that says he "takes" every trap and snare he finds set! I told him that was against the law and if he took my stuff I would be greatly pissed and the covered his misstatements by saying he was talking about on private land that did not allow trapping. That is NOT what he said at the beginning of the conversation. Too many LIBERALS in all facets of government. :? Hang in there, ask these guys their names and address, write down any vehicle license numbers, take pictures of them on their ATVs---intimidate them. Just my humble opinion. 8|-

_________________
Actions Speak Louder Than Words


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 14:17 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 26 Oct 2008, 15:27
Posts: 397
Location: West Virginia
The reasons I am denied permission are usually the same. If you go out in the country, people are friendly but paranoid. They say no cuz they dont know you, or because they gave permission to somebody before who went out and trashed the place (left deep ruts, carcasses laying around, etc.). You ask to trap on land owned by a company, the company thinks about how it makes them look. They fear a PETA protest, or legal action from the trapper if he gets hurt (even though the permission slip says I am there at my own risk). For the most part people in WV are nice and friendly......to your face. People love to steal, i dont understand it. All I know is what I have experienced first hand. I thought about looking for a name tag on that trap near the road but I didnt want to mess around with someone elses stuff.

_________________
Trapping season 14-15
6 Muskrat
1 Beaver
8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 15:42 
Offline
Trapper
Trapper

Joined: 26 Oct 2012, 11:05
Posts: 74
Location: West Virginia
Where u at in WV? Coongitter

_________________
SEMPER FIDELIS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 16:15 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 26 Oct 2008, 15:27
Posts: 397
Location: West Virginia
kanawha valley

_________________
Trapping season 14-15
6 Muskrat
1 Beaver
8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 18:47 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 16:53
Posts: 2998
Location: Minnesota
CoonGitter, I know how you feel. I have run into alot of fools in the short time I have been trapping. I have also had my traps stolen or destroyed. The main group I have problems with are bird hunters and their dogs. For whatever reason, grouse hunters think they are the pinnacle of the sporting world and their dogs are golden calves. Many are good, but many are arrogant self serving cidiots. Part of it is my own fault because I will set a good trail, regardless of hunters, but I try to accomodate by pulling the trap on the weekend or during a busy weekend, whatever I can do to share the woods and be considerate of others. Some ppl, though, cant handle the idea that their precious FooFoo got caught in a trap set to catch an animal with a foot slightly larger than a house cat! Or they are up during the week, so my set is active. C'est la vie. I wrote a note to a dog owner whose dog got in one of my traps and the moron had to remove the jaws from the base to get his dog free. On a 1.5 old victor coilspring. My 8 yr old daughter can set it by hand! Dipstick! He did not, however, steal my trap. That is the only reason I did not call a CO. (or do other things that occurred to me when I was hot under the collar about it) I wrote him a note, informing him that it is the peak of trapping season and as a responsible dog owner he should learn to properly remove his dog from a foothold and not let his dog run wild all over the place. I removed my trap until he was gone, then remade my set.

Keep perspective though. The ppl that use the woods with respect dont leave a mark or mess with your stuff, so you never know they were there. Its the idiots and scumbags that you notice because they blatant dumba$$es. Teachers call that the 80/20 rule. You spend 80 percent of your time with the 20 percent that dont do or know what they are supposed to. I have met many many more good ppl in the woods that respected what I am doing and completely support it. Ppl around here have homes and cabins and they know how incredibly destructive wildlife can be. From wolves eating or chasing out deer from a hunting shacks area to beavers eating homeowners trees, ppl in Northern MN are generally pretty good to each other. I think alot of it has to do with being away from the states tallest buildings, though.

IMO, Anytime you get a fool riding an ATV on public land and the dude is there telling you what illegal stuff he does, while he is breaking the law in front of you, get your phone out, take a pic of him on his machine, and send it to your local CO. Call all the CO's in your area and let them know who you are. Get their numbers and put them in your phone, then call them when you find violations. If you establish credibility, they will listen to you when you report douches that snare deer. When you find untagged traps, call the CO! Some will actually set up near the trap and bust the poacher. Lets remember also, anyone that breaks these laws knowingly and repeatedly is no trapper! They are a poacher! No ifs, ands, or buts. That applies to the guy you were talking to that claims he snares deer. We need to separate ourselves from the losers that abuse the outdoors and protect what we do and the sustainable animal populations we love to trap.

As far as dealing with anti's, if some guy starts yelling and screaming at me, while he is breaking the law, and tells me he has been snapping off my traps, he is going to have a problem on his hands right here and now. My dad was a platoon sargent...I know how to yell and scream back and I'm louder than most once I start. I plan on getting one of those cap cams and wait for the day an anti threatens me. Any threats to a teacher in the state of MN gets you a felony. I trap public land and there is no expectation of privacy on public land, so I wont be giving any warning. Just a call to the cops and write down their license plate number and hand over the video footage.

Dont let them get you down man!! Just do your thing and become better at making your sets. If you keep having a problem, set up a couple trail cams and bust his rear!

_________________
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 19:39 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 29 Sep 2012, 14:48
Posts: 415
Location: River of Turtles, South Florida
I like the way you think Al :twisted:

Theres people like that no matter where you go, they just baffle me. To be like that is just... hard for me to comprehend. People out here have been known to hunt out of treestands set up by other people in our management areas, then get mad when they get caught! Down here, swamp buggies are a common site, and they are allowed in one of our local management areas. There was an incident, last year i think, where a guy was apparently fed up with people (legally) riding their buggies around where he had his treestand set, so he nailed a bunch of nails into a wood plank, and buried it in the mud. And who happens to drive over it by coincidence? An on-duty game warden! People really dont make sense to me sometimes...

_________________
Indian build little fire stand way close. White man build big fire stand way back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 20:21 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 26 Oct 2008, 15:27
Posts: 397
Location: West Virginia
TrapperAL wrote:
CoonGitter, I know how you feel. I have run into alot of fools in the short time I have been trapping. I have also had my traps stolen or destroyed. The main group I have problems with are bird hunters and their dogs. For whatever reason, grouse hunters think they are the pinnacle of the sporting world and their dogs are golden calves. Many are good, but many are arrogant self serving cidiots. Part of it is my own fault because I will set a good trail, regardless of hunters, but I try to accomodate by pulling the trap on the weekend or during a busy weekend, whatever I can do to share the woods and be considerate of others. Some ppl, though, cant handle the idea that their precious FooFoo got caught in a trap set to catch an animal with a foot slightly larger than a house cat! Or they are up during the week, so my set is active. C'est la vie. I wrote a note to a dog owner whose dog got in one of my traps and the moron had to remove the jaws from the base to get his dog free. On a 1.5 old victor coilspring. My 8 yr old daughter can set it by hand! Dipstick! He did not, however, steal my trap. That is the only reason I did not call a CO. (or do other things that occurred to me when I was hot under the collar about it) I wrote him a note, informing him that it is the peak of trapping season and as a responsible dog owner he should learn to properly remove his dog from a foothold and not let his dog run wild all over the place. I removed my trap until he was gone, then remade my set.

Keep perspective though. The ppl that use the woods with respect dont leave a mark or mess with your stuff, so you never know they were there. Its the idiots and scumbags that you notice because they blatant dumba$$es. Teachers call that the 80/20 rule. You spend 80 percent of your time with the 20 percent that dont do or know what they are supposed to. I have met many many more good ppl in the woods that respected what I am doing and completely support it. Ppl around here have homes and cabins and they know how incredibly destructive wildlife can be. From wolves eating or chasing out deer from a hunting shacks area to beavers eating homeowners trees, ppl in Northern MN are generally pretty good to each other. I think alot of it has to do with being away from the states tallest buildings, though.

IMO, Anytime you get a fool riding an ATV on public land and the dude is there telling you what illegal stuff he does, while he is breaking the law in front of you, get your phone out, take a pic of him on his machine, and send it to your local CO. Call all the CO's in your area and let them know who you are. Get their numbers and put them in your phone, then call them when you find violations. If you establish credibility, they will listen to you when you report douches that snare deer. When you find untagged traps, call the CO! Some will actually set up near the trap and bust the poacher. Lets remember also, anyone that breaks these laws knowingly and repeatedly is no trapper! They are a poacher! No ifs, ands, or buts. That applies to the guy you were talking to that claims he snares deer. We need to separate ourselves from the losers that abuse the outdoors and protect what we do and the sustainable animal populations we love to trap.

As far as dealing with anti's, if some guy starts yelling and screaming at me, while he is breaking the law, and tells me he has been snapping off my traps, he is going to have a problem on his hands right here and now. My dad was a platoon sargent...I know how to yell and scream back and I'm louder than most once I start. I plan on getting one of those cap cams and wait for the day an anti threatens me. Any threats to a teacher in the state of MN gets you a felony. I trap public land and there is no expectation of privacy on public land, so I wont be giving any warning. Just a call to the cops and write down their license plate number and hand over the video footage.

Dont let them get you down man!! Just do your thing and become better at making your sets. If you keep having a problem, set up a couple trail cams and bust his rear!


Thanks alot, very well said :--D

_________________
Trapping season 14-15
6 Muskrat
1 Beaver
8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 11:06 
Offline
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper
User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2010, 09:36
Posts: 1019
Location: Girard, PA
This has been a trend I've been seeing for a few years now. I think it is directly relate to this "entitlement" attitude that many seem to have these days. Common courtesy and manners have been lost :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 15:58 
Offline
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
User avatar

Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 07:07
Posts: 5392
davydtune wrote:
This has been a trend I've been seeing for a few years now. I think it is directly relate to this "entitlement" attitude that many seem to have these days. Common courtesy and manners have been lost :(

Yep, I see this all the time at work, ppl have a "what can you do to solve my problem" attitude. Then have the nerve to be pissy on the phone. I don't answer the phones but the girls in the office do and then it is usually me that gets sent out to see wth is going on. :evil: Oddly enough though, the butthole on the phone is often my best friend when I show up. :lol: :lol: It's the inconsiderate that have no nuts. I bet, coongitter, if you crawl up on top of someone yacking at you for catching his dog, he will be the one yipping! :wink:

_________________
Roadkill is a redneck's paycheck- Jase Robertson

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 18:09 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 14 Dec 2011, 20:12
Posts: 330
Location: Halifax County VA
You all are right. My biggest problem here is hound hunters for deer. There are some good ones out there, but they are getting few and far between. They've grown a sense of entitlement, to every acre of land in the county, whether legal or not, and think that they are the only ones who are supposed to be in the woods. Deer season ended here Saturday, and I for one am happy. Land is being lost here by hunting clubs at a fast pace. Leaving gates open for the livestock to get out, tearing up the roads and littering just to name a few reasons why. Bad part is, when that happens they move to the public land where I'm at alot. I guess I've fussed enough for now, but believe me, I feel your pain brothers. :evil:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 19:52 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 16:53
Posts: 2998
Location: Minnesota
I dont think these goofballs realize how easy it would be for a trapper to make their hunting lives miserable. I dont know how bad it is there but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

_________________
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 20:43 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 26 Oct 2008, 15:27
Posts: 397
Location: West Virginia
i found this creek, that had lots of beaver sign. Slides, peeled sticks, cut down trees and everything. I found out who the landowner was so I tried to get permission. When I asked he said no, which was expected but I had to try. He was a nice guy, we talked for thirty minutes and he told me horror stories about years gone by when he used let people hunt on his land. He said whenever he would grant permission to somebody there would be all kinds of people on his land riding four wheelers tearing the place up. He said its gotten so bad that during gun season he has to patrol his property to run off trespassers cuz he cant keep people out. They tear his signs down and use his fields as a mud bog pit for thier four wheelers. I knew he would say no when I approached him cuz people always say no, and now I understand why.

_________________
Trapping season 14-15
6 Muskrat
1 Beaver
8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 20:54 
Offline
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS
User avatar

Joined: 03 Feb 2008, 12:18
Posts: 16404
Location: Lufkin, TX
Hang in there Coongitter, he may say no the first time but if you will drop by between now and next season and help him hang a gate, repair a barn or such, you'll be surprised what he might let you do. People like to get to know you and not feel that you are just stopping by to use "their" resources. Be polite and be patient. :wink:

_________________
Actions Speak Louder Than Words


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 21:20 
Offline
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
User avatar

Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 07:07
Posts: 5392
You did a good thing just by talking to him a spell and listening to him go on. Now as Swamp said, build that relationship with him and you will be trapping his creek before you know it. A lot of landowners are more than ready to say no at first, but you get em softened up after a while and they give you a shot.

_________________
Roadkill is a redneck's paycheck- Jase Robertson

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 21:44 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 25 Dec 2009, 13:56
Posts: 403
Swamp Rat wrote:
Hang in there Coongitter, he may say no the first time but if you will drop by between now and next season and help him hang a gate, repair a barn or such, you'll be surprised what he might let you do. People like to get to know you and not feel that you are just stopping by to use "their" resources. Be polite and be patient. :wink:



Swamp- I agree with what you said...it's best to be "polite and patient". You've been in this part of the country. Mostly, the people are nice and friendly but they are a little non-trusting unless you are with someone they know or they already know you. If you are a stranger to them...well, y'all know how it goes.

As for meeting up with someone in the woods that is breaking the law and you whip out your handy-dandy cell phone to take a pic of them or their vehicle.....all I'll say is- It won't end up with y'all shakin hands and exchangin' pleasantries.

Remember, this person is out on a ATV on public land where it is not allowed, they are tearing up your trap, maybe stealing your catch, etc. These people already have shown that they have no regard for others or their property. So, a confrontation, deep in the woods, with no one else around could end up going badly.

As for advice on how to handle this...IMHO, each situation is different. I just don't think it is worth getting killed or hospitalized for, over a trap.

Hey, DOC!!! What is your input on this?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 11:27 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 16:53
Posts: 2998
Location: Minnesota
not turning these guys in is what leads to the abuses describe earlier IMO. i dont think most ppl will go from vandalism to assault. maybe some would....maybe take the pic and make the 911 call so he knows you are already in contact with authorities.

_________________
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group