Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 19:24 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wannab wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:
Wannab, some folks are probably smiling that "we" consider the 20s as COLD...but they'd just have to experience it to know what you are saying! You two made some good hauls and some good nights of catches. Pretty neat that Shannon is making her own sets and doing her on skinning. How successful were you at getting the fur sides dry enough to board? Like the others, I am enjoying this narrative with photos very much. This may be all the trapping I do this season. Rain seems to be around here for awhile.

Swamp, I know what you are talking about, I have been in Colorado when it was 20 degrees in a T-shirt, you are not going to do that here!!!! The humidity just sinks the cold right in on ya. On the furs; I had to bring them in the house today to get them dry, they just would not dry outside. LOL, should have seen the look on Shannon’s face when she walked in the laundry room and coyote, fox and coon hides were everywhere. :--o So glad she likes to trap, or I would have been cut OFF!!!!!
Are you doing any trapping? I have not seen any post of your catches.

My "flexible" plan was to go down to Tyler county Thursday, get my camp open and start slinging steel for a couple of days and do about two weeks down there.....weather forecast for the next 10 days is rain for 8 of them! I don't enjoy dirt trapping in the rain...resets in the mud suck! :evil:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 19:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
wannab wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:
Wannab, some folks are probably smiling that "we" consider the 20s as COLD...but they'd just have to experience it to know what you are saying! You two made some good hauls and some good nights of catches. Pretty neat that Shannon is making her own sets and doing her on skinning. How successful were you at getting the fur sides dry enough to board? Like the others, I am enjoying this narrative with photos very much. This may be all the trapping I do this season. Rain seems to be around here for awhile.

Swamp, I know what you are talking about, I have been in Colorado when it was 20 degrees in a T-shirt, you are not going to do that here!!!! The humidity just sinks the cold right in on ya. On the furs; I had to bring them in the house today to get them dry, they just would not dry outside. LOL, should have seen the look on Shannon’s face when she walked in the laundry room and coyote, fox and coon hides were everywhere. :--o So glad she likes to trap, or I would have been cut OFF!!!!!
Are you doing any trapping? I have not seen any post of your catches.

My "flexible" plan was to go down to Tyler county Thursday, get my camp open and start slinging steel for a couple of days and do about two weeks down there.....weather forecast for the next 10 days is rain for 8 of them! I don't enjoy dirt trapping in the rain...resets in the mud suck! :evil:

I feel your pain, I hate slopping around in the mud trying to make a set also.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 22:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Humid cold may sink in a bit quicker but even in low humdity, if a person was sleeping outside of the sleeping bag, on the ground, and with lighter clothing, anybody will get cold (or should get cold--I think the Canadians have glycol antifreeze running in their viens!!). We had a young guy around here a couple of years back that got too drunk and wandered off into a cattail slough on the edge of down, passed out, and died of hypotherma. They didn't find him for about 3 days. I don't think the nighttme lows when it happened got much lower than the low teens...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 01:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I forgot to ask if she still is keeping her rings on while she's trapping and skinning (hope they're insured)?? Pretty good deal you have going. My wife may ride in the vehicle and watch if she was in the mood to hang out with me in outdoor pursuits. Its been a while since that has happened (maybe about the time she stuck her open faced shoes into a sand burr bush while she was observing me antelope hunting...)

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 14:00 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

NonPCfed wrote:
I forgot to ask if she still is keeping her rings on while she's trapping and skinning (hope they're insured)?? Pretty good deal you have going. My wife may ride in the vehicle and watch if she was in the mood to hang out with me in outdoor pursuits. Its been a while since that has happened (maybe about the time she stuck her open faced shoes into a sand burr bush while she was observing me antelope hunting...)

Yes Sir they are on!! They only time she ever takes them off is to clean them and then back on. She won't even leave them at the jeweler to be checked; they have to do it right then.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 15:07 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Wannab, I'd suggest her putting a band-aid over the ring to keep it from slipping off when the weather is too cold or her hands are slippery from blood or dishwater. :roll: :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 18:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

1/1/13 Day 5
Not much to report today, it rained all night. It would be a safe bet in saying we got 2” of rain. All we had in our traps this morning were tracks on two of them and a small grinner in one. Don’t know why we are catching so many grinners; we only had one last year. We had to remake all the sets and clean them up, and we moved our coon sets. We put some rabbit fur and meat in some of the sets, and some bird feathers around others. I got the fourth coyote fleshed and put on the board to dry. It has been so humid that the other three are still not ready to turn after being flesh out for twenty four hours; hopefully they will be ready to turn tomorrow. The weather has broken and it is going to be cool again tonight, it is going to be a good night, our traps are going to be full in the morning, we made some really nice looking sets. Come on cat daddy!! We are enjoying ourselves, but are missing the comforts of home. Taking a bath with a wash cloth next to the fire has proved to be interesting. It’s hard to wash something that has more wrinkles in it than a Shar-Pei.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 19:48 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Wannab, if it will cheer you up any, the first bobcat I caught was on an old cypress log in the middle of a swollen creek. The water was about knee deep when I made the set, thinking if an otter swam the creek they my stop on the old log lying lengthwise in the creek. It actually had the rusty remains of an old #2LS still stapled to the log. Was I ever surprised when I saw a bobcat jumping in and out of the water and I had to ease out to keep the water from going over my chest waders! So a little water isn't going to discourage cats from traveling. I honestly think bobcats and possums travel more in drizzling rain than do coons!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 20:13 

Great post! I am enjoying your trapping vacation immensly :mrgreen: That was a really nice looking grey Shannon caught :mrgreen: Great yotes too! :mrgreen:
Though I would trade your humidity for a few blasts of them darn winds Wolf is always sendin' down from Canada!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 20:26 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
Wannab, if it will cheer you up any, the first bobcat I caught was on an old cypress log in the middle of a swollen creek. The water was about knee deep when I made the set, thinking if an otter swam the creek they my stop on the old log lying lengthwise in the creek. It actually had the rusty remains of an old #2LS still stapled to the log. Was I ever surprised when I saw a bobcat jumping in and out of the water and I had to ease out to keep the water from going over my chest waders! So a little water isn't going to discourage cats from traveling. I honestly think bobcats and possums travel more in drizzling rain than do coons!

Swamp, when you go down to Tyler county, are you going to the WMA area there?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 22:19 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wannab wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

Nope, I am on a 7000 acre lease that is owned by The Campbell Group. For years it belonged to the timber division of Temple Industries.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 23:06 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
wannab wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

Nope, I am on a 7000 acre lease that is owned by The Campbell Group. For years it belonged to the timber division of Temple Industries.

Oh, ok.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 08:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

mark, you and Shannon keep up the good work.. nice looking fur...congrats

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 09:23 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Great thread Mark and Shannon! You guys are rolling. :D I am really enjoying your vacation.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 21:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

1/2/13 Day 6
Well I was about to give up on the snares, but last night that was the only thing we caught something in. We had a real nice male coyote. Not one single trap had been disturbed, that was very disappointing.

Cutting him loose.
Peeling him.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 21:14 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

That is a nice looking coyote for eastern TX. Job well done. Sorry about your traps not producing. Were any of them bedded in mud? How much longer are you two staying at the camp?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 21:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
That is a nice looking coyote for eastern TX. Job well done. Sorry about your traps not producing. Were any of them bedded in mud? How much longer are you two staying at the camp?

No, we cleaned them all out, and dried some dirt to put in them. Two more nights.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 16:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I'm going to wrap up my post on our trip tonight. Here are the last few days as I had written them at the lease. Thanks for enjoying it with us.
Mark & Shannon

1/3/13 Day 7
We checked everything this morning and not one single thing; the first night we didn’t catch something. Several of the sets had tracks around them, but just would not commit to getting in them. We are going to have to break camp today and go home for one night. It is my dad’s 80th birthday, and mom is giving him a surprise party. We are going to spend the night at home then come back Friday morning and spend the night Friday night, then pull everything Saturday morning and head home. We want a cat so bad we can taste it.

1/4/13 Day 8
Once again nothing! The only thing we had were tracks around the sets, some with stolen bait, but no fur, well, we did catch a crow; we used him as bait and attractor. We have moved our coon traps to three different places, places we caught coons last year, and nothing. We are wondering if we even have any coons this year, maybe tomorrow we will have some. We deer hunted both the morning and afternoon and didn’t see a dang thing!!

1/5/13 Day 9
The final day, the final run, the final deer hunt. We caught a dang buzzard, and didn’t see a dang deer. We had tracks around some sets but nothing in them. We can’t figure out why they quit getting in them, blows our minds. We are very open to comments on why you think they walk up to our sets, and walk away. One thing I’m going to change is our pan covers. We were using wax paper, but several times they scratched them off, or there was just a piece of it exposed. I am going to use peat moss next time and see if that helps, once again, comments on what to use are appreciated. One of our cat sets had a stick stuck in it, the trap had not been moved out of the bed, so it never made contact with a foot. There were scratch marks all around the set and a big dump to one side. I am thinking a yote was wallowing on the set and knocked a stick in the trap setting it off.

This concludes our 8 night 9 day camping adventure. I’m not sure if or when we will get to trap anymore this year, but I can say we had a great time, and enjoyed being with each other in the great outdoors for nine days. Our catch turned out to be somewhat disappointing, we really wanted at least one cat, and was really surprised we only caught one fox and two coon. I’m not going to complain, it’s not often a man gets to walk down an old logging road holding the hand of the woman of his dreams checking traps. Shannon is an awesome woman, and someone I love to death, these past nine days will be ones I will never forget.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 17:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Mark are you talking about coyote tracks around your set? If so I got some ideas.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 18:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Jeff Piersol wrote:
Mark are you talking about coyote tracks around your set? If so I got some ideas.

Jeff, most of them were coyote, a few were cat. Let me know what you got.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 20:20 
Trapper
Trapper

i have to say...."thanks for sharing"...tuned in every day and enjoyed every post......all the best in the future :D

p.s. (sorry for pausing for so long at a couple pics :--D )

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 20:24 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Well wannab, sorry you didn't get your cat, but it sounds like you and Shannon made some great memories. There is more to a trap line than catches....even though catches do improve a trapper's outlook on the situation! :lol: Not many men have a woman who actually enjoys the trap lines with them. Most just tolerate the men doing what trappers do. Thanks again for taking us along on your trapping expedition.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 21:08 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Yep, thanks so much for taking me along with you. I got see things I can see no other way. :( Hoping you get out for some more adventures. :D

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 09:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Mark and Shannon, there are several reasons that a coyote won't work a set. First thing that comes to mind is was the set too loud or you have a dirty trap. Sometimes a coyote will visit a set but if the set is too loud he doesn't have to come close enough to actually work the set. He has his curiousity satisfied from a few feet away instead of having to work the set.

Second thing that comes to mind is perhaps a dirty trap. I noticed in your post that a coyote had rolled on a trap setting it off. That indicates possibly a dirty trap or the bedding was dirty causing a roll reaction.

Since the yotes are visiting your sets you are doing things right we just need to tweak a few things. I will help you anyway I can so just fire away with any questions you have.

I enjoyed your posts and pictures.
J

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 09:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Great post and pics for sure. You 2 shared something that many husband and wife do not. Although your catch count was down you both had a wonderful time and can start planning for next year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next