Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 10:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canned Venison
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2008, 23:04 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Are any of you familiar with canned venison? I had never heard of it until I met my wife a few years back. Seems it was a standard in their family. You bone and cube the pieces, flour them, maybe a little salt & pepper-but not much at this time, then you brown the meat. Then put some of the meat in either a pint or quart Mason jar....fill it about 3/4 full, cover this meat with a thick flour gravy...use a long spoon handle to make sure you get the gravy all around the meat from bottom to top. Once you have all the jars you want filled with this meat and gravy, you start pressure cooking it. Cooking it at 10lbs for 1'20". Remove from pressure cooker and be sure all the lids have sealed. Let cool and put them in the pantry when they are cool enough. When you get ready to eat some, pour off any grease that may be in the jar and then dump in a frying pan, add milk or water too thin the gravy and season to taste. We like it with either rice or mashed potatoes. It will be so tender it will make you want to slap your Momma! It seems to have a shelf life of FOREVER! We only put some up every 2 or 3 years. Talk about a fast and delicious meal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2008, 23:50 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Swamp if you don't quit posting these delicious sounding recipes for deer while deer seasons over I'm going to have to make a trip to Texas to break your computer. Looks like I'm going to have to dig REAL deep in the freezer to see if I can find some venison. I could always mooch some off my uncle. I could also try to use the elk we have, but I'd lose my hand if I touched that stuff.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2008, 23:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Don't get hurt over it....you'll have plenty of time to work on it next season. I still think you should put together a Trapper's Recipe Book. It woudl be fun and you could make a little college money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2008, 07:07 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

The last time we canned venison my wife suggested us trying it outdoors to keep from making such a mess in her kitchen. It worked out fine and we only had to pressure cook it indoors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2008, 13:53 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

yeah its good stuff...
we have canning parties every year....we have never put a gravy in the can...usually just a tad bit of garlic, salt and pepper.... this year a friend of mine cold smoked the meat before he canned it. When that meat came out of the cooker, it was just like tender beef jerkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2008, 11:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

1 quart jar of canned venison
1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
1 clove of garlic
1 cup of bbq sauce
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1 touch of honey and/or maple syrup( the real stuff)

Low heat shred meat and stir often stir everything in heat to desired warmness serve like pulled pork sandwich

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2008, 19:22 
Trapper
Trapper

We have been canning venison here in Va for many years. We don't add gravy either, but it sounds delicious. I like to heat it up and serve on hot biscuts.