Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 20:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone from Wisconsin?
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 19:59 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hey all, Im new here. Im from Southern Wi (just far enough outside Madison) and wanted to see who else is out there from Wi. Id like to talk to people and get their input on our road trapping regulations and see what you have encountered if you trap road right of ways. I have only had one land owner give me trouble but I had permission from the person who owned the land on the side I trapped. Id like to do more culvert trapping but it seems like the dnr is making this more and more difficult. I try to obtain permission regardless but you dont always get it, Id like to really know if I can set legally. The wardens and deputys I have talked to all have very different opinions. This goes with streams and rivers as well, even if I enter in a public (or place I have permission) if I walk up or down stream and make water sets it seems as if I would not be legal either if the property on either side is private. So confusing, and I do not want to make a bad name for us as trappers... especially around Madison where trappers and hunters are not too popular with the city folk.
Anyways, hi and thanks for any input you have!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 01:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Welcome to WAT Metro!! I'm also a metropolitan area trapper but I think I have it a little easier than you. Metro Sioux Falls is probably more laid back when it comes to extractive wildlife land use than uber left Madison. You are dealing with a deadly liberal combo of both a major unviersity and a blue-to-purple state capital. I feel for you man!!

Yes, its unfortunate when legalities become so confusing that law enforcement officials can't give a person the same answer. Many times it comes down to the interpretation of the law, all the way from the field to the courtroom. I've read through some of WI's trapping guide (as well as MN's) and I'm amazed how much time and detail someone (probably multiple someones) spent devising such a complex text. It seemed that in your trapping kit, you better have a 30 foot tape measure and perhaps a laser range finder. I just heard that the Calif. gov signed 876 new laws into effect Jan. 1. Un-frigging-believeable!! Why do we let such idiots dictate laws to us!!!

SD's trappings regs are really tame--only about 3 pages of regs, including half a page of the various seasons (or no seasons) for critters. We have a 220 yard buffer from occupied houses, schools, and churches to be able to trap public ROW without the landowners permission. We can't attach snares or traps to fences no matter the distance with out the owners permission, and they just tightened up cubbies sets with anything larger than a 160 coni unless recessed back at least 7 inches from the opening (330s are legal only as water sets).

I ran about a 2 dozen set ditch line in mid-Nov. within 5-15 miles of Sioux Falls and didn't have any real problems (no thefts, no hassles--probably just got lucky this year). Only hassle was when one township mowed their ditches in Nov. and snagged a couple of my traps. The closest sets to occupied rural dwellings was probably about 300 meters out but there were multiple township section line roads that I couldn't set because I never could get the 220 yard buffer needed.

My plan for next Nov. is to run about a dozen 160 wooden cubbies in the ditches camoed as best as possible by vegetation and position and work on getting more private land farmland permission for 2-3 dozen legholds. And possibly a mrat winter trapping vacation to parts of the state that still have water in sloughs and/or a dense snare line on some larger landowner's mostly farmed for pheasant production holdings (too far away to run daily without eating up all the profits in gas burned).

Hope to see some of your work. Pictures are great!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 07:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

they should be a few cheese heads on here some where.....lol

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 15:56 

I'm not from the land of delicious dairy products....but welcome to WAT just the same!