Minaska outdoors 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
primos 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
other 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: Electronic calls
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 13:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

electric calls have had my intrest for acouple years now. ive bought several different cheaper ones and havnt been real impressed with them. some of my friends have a wildfire foxx pro.. just wondering what your guys thoughts were

coyotes: 23
Badger: 4
coon 127
beaver: 8
mink: 1

Post subject: Re: Electronic calls
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 13:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

FoxPro's are good calls, I don't think there is much doubt about that, but they are expensive. I have a brand called Johnny Stewart's Prey Master, and they are suppose to be very good, might be something for you to check into if you haven't already. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I plan to later on this winter for coons. Might even go out and try to get a few predators too, but got it mainly for coons. This thing is extremely loud, and can come with a wide array of calls for just about anything you can imagine, although you have to buy little memory cards with the calls on them.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 14:40 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

$&(@

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 14:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

hey thanks cat-man, i forgot to put in that first post that this will be almost exclusivly for calling coons. and maybe a few coyotes. but i prefer the challenge of calling my coyotes by mouth calls. ive looked at the johnny stewart calls a while back and i didnt think they had any coon calls in the selection..

coyotes: 23
Badger: 4
coon 127
beaver: 8
mink: 1

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 15:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

They don't have any exclusively for coons, but they do have one that is called the Grey Fox 1 MCGF1 that has a grey fox/coon fighting call on it. I read in an article here a while back on coon calling during the winter, that a coon fighting call is all you need. I've got several other assortments of animals fighting too that should get their attention.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 09:39 
Trapper
Trapper

I have a wildfire Foxxpro, I've called multiple coons out of trees with it, and a few squirrels. I also got a nice little 5x5 to come into the call when i was squirrel hunting, get within 15 yards!!! I'm going to try to use it to call some coyotes this weekend with our new snow covering the ground. Personally I would recommend it.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 09:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I've only messed with the fox pro and it's nice, nice and pricey as well :D

I've thought about picking and electronic caller up but I kinda like to do the calling myself. Beside I'm now working on some "prototype" predator calls of my own :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 10:06 
Trapper
Trapper

davydtune wrote:
I've only messed with the fox pro and it's nice, nice and pricey as well :D

I've thought about picking and electronic caller up but I kinda like to do the calling myself. Beside I'm now working on some "prototype" predator calls of my own :mrgreen:

No kidding they are a bit pricey! Most of the calls i have on there aren't even the default ones! I had to buy them from a website!!!

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 10:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I can remember back in the day when dad and I would go out after fox with a cassette tape and one of those little cassette players, lol! Killed a lot of fox that way though :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 20:52 
Trapper
Trapper

Friend and I went after some yotes tonight because my dad took the coyote line off my hands for once! :roll: didn't get anything to come in for an hour of sitting, but when the sun was setting we decided to see if there were even any yotes round. So I put on the yote locator, and we got a call back from one far off, but it was just a loner.. up the hill next to us there were a couple dozen turkeys going nuts, so i stopped the call for a bit. After about 5 minutes things calmed down, and I put on a lone female long howl, about 30 seconds after I stopped that call, the yotes just erupted around us!!!! :lol: :lol: It was a wonderful expereince in my book considering I learned things from this, had a lot of fun, and hearing the yotes so close sent a chill down my spine! Plus we have sets not 500 yards or so from where we were set up!!! So my new goal is to study up this week, and make it out this weekened and see if I can call my first yote in! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 22:29 
Trapper
Trapper

I have the new foxpro fury 2 and I love it... Called in my first coon last weekend.. I had an old johny stewert that has many coyotes to its name.. just wanted somethinng new.. glad I switched

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 00:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

What type of call is best for red fox? Not brand but sound.

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 14:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Around here for reds, distressed rabbit seems to work the best but fox pups crying and yelping will drag them in too.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 11:00 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I still have the old JS cassett tape caller with the big speaker and about 20 feet of speaker wire takes 8 D size batterys. Dont use it as much as I used to but I've killed more grey fox than I could count with it. About the only time I take it out any more is if I can find a kid or a beginer that would like to go out. I havent pulled a trigger on a fox in years but enjoy watching others do so.