Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 21:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Butter time.
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 09:16 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

MIL and FIL spent the night so I ain't in a good mood. Gotta take the lads to school[mind saver] and pick up their sled.
Figured I would show the butter making sequence. First the cream.

Then picking one of the churns[I think I own 11 different ones].
Image.

Lads doing the work.

Also can be done with just a jar.

Finished product from 3 quarts of cream.

3 quarts of cream yields 22.5 ounces butter and 2 quarts buttermilk.

I also made supper while they were working.

Good food is worth the effort. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Butter time.
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 09:20 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Great Post Trappintime. Home butter churning and home cooking!!! Those boys are growing up fast!!! :shock:

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 09:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

tt- I've never tasted fresh butter before. I'm sure its marvelous!!! The pix of doing the churning while watching tv reminds me of my boys trying to "do" homework while watching tv. Lots of reminders of remembering what they're doing...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 09:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

thanks Trappintime.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 17:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wow..thanks TT..

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 20:38 

Looks great TT! My grandmother (God rest her soul) used to do that. It's been a lomg time since I had fresh REAL butter.

The boys look like they could not be having more fun! :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 21:00 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Great photos ! Someday those boys will be telling their kids about churning butter ! Great memories. :)

I use to have a milk cow and we made about every thing imaginable with the massive amount of milk we got from her each day. We used the glass containers with wooded paddles for a while until someone told us about using a blender.

If you've never had real home made butter and would like to try some and don't have a churn ( but jar would work too) , buy HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM, put in a blender with a few pinches of salt and blend on low till the butter forms. You might have to use a spatula to scrape the sides of the blender when it's off. Blend until butter consistency. (It will go through stages of being liquid, to being whipped cream then start to turn to butter). Pack in a small bowl and invert for a shaped butter or just put in a bowl and use it that way. Salt to taste.
You might get fancy and buy a butter mold for a decorative touch. We usually filled a small crock and kept it on the table. It never had time to go bad because it's sooooo goooood.

Trappintime, do you have a cow or are you fortunate enough to have a dairy close by?

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 21:46 

Musselshellgal wrote:

Trappintime, do you have a cow or are you fortunate enough to have a dairy close by?

Guess you missed the
trappintime wrote:
MIL and FIL spent the night

We also have a milk cow that produces more beef than any ordinary beef cow. We like to live with the land as uch as possible and that means we do without some stuff in order to have more of others. Your whipping cream will work but I don't believe will give the taste of fresh unfricknpasteuized milk. I also don't believe that a blender, mix master or any other electronic easy button can enhance the flavor of something that a little sweat equity can enhance. The boys are shown how to do it all by using their labor cause if'n you can do it the hard way, the easy button is pretty well, easy. :wink:

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 09:00 

Jase, I think you are right and that scares me a little :oops: . When people don't know the little things in life it means to me that the sheeple are getting made ready for a slaughter. Ever notice how most all can run a easy button phone but couldn't cook to save their butt? To me there is kinda/sorta a peace in being able to do [probably] dumb stuff. Seems that the whole process of problem solving is going the way of the Dodo and that just can't be good. :cry:

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 18:33 

When I was a kid, my parents bought raw milk from the farm down the road from our house. I remember taking 3 or 4 glass gallon jugs there every week and the farmer would fill them up. After the milk would sit in the fridge for an hour all of the heavy cream would settle at the top, this is what my grandmother would use to make her butter. I think it was about 1983 or 84 when government regulations started cracking down on the poor farmer because he was not running a propper milk producing facility (according to their standards) and he gave up and shut down his business. Now days, it's hard to even get fresh eggs because the U.S. or state department of agriculture is breathing down everybody's neck making sure that all animal by-products have some sort of steroid or chemical in it to make sure it's to the crappy standards they have set to make it safe.......... :roll: Sad times indeed.